Sign in to follow this  
Guest n9zn

Free online U.S. Terminal Procedures & Airport charts.

Guest n9zn

Greetings!This is the site where you will find free downloads of all of the Airport charts and Diagrams for the United States. This is not a site for ready made SID/STARS databases (this site has charts which have not yet been converted into database format).Let me apologize for reposting this however this post may better identify and clarify what will be found at this site for those who are new and searching for this data.The link below will take you directly to the page where you begin your airport search and down load.Unfortunately you cannot download all the charts and diagrams with one command but you can can get the charts for an entire large airport like KJFK in a matter of a few minutes. The entire set of all charts is available from the government on a cash subscription basis.Simply click on the link below or paste the link into your browser address bar and press enter. After that just follow the directions on the displayed page.http://avn.faa.gov/digital_tpp.aspI hope this information is found to be useful for some of our serious pilots and those who are also learning. Coupled with aeronautical charts (covering broad areas and routes), ploting tools, and the skills to plot a course this is all you need to fly to or from from any any U.S. airport. These charts cover NDB, GPS, LOC, and IAP/VFR approaches. You will also find find information on taxi ways, helipads, and other airport specific information.You will especially find these charts valuable if you are acting as a terminal controler in the multiplayer environment of Microsoft FSX flight simulator. The charts list taxi way identification data, helipads, and all current airport information needed in order to function in this capacity.I almost did not post this thinking that most of you would know this already and then I thought of all the new pilots we may see coming online after the holidays and in the future. This is why I posted under the topic of charts instead of SID/STARS which is closely related but in many ways different in the way we normally think of those databases.This is a fantastic hobby and I hope to meet you at an airport soon.Happy flying!Monty Howard, Tampa, FloridaN9ZN (my screen name is also my extra class FCC license ID)

Personally, I use FlightAware.Com for my US info. It includes all the charts as well. For example, from the front-page www.flightaware.com enter an airort ICAO in the bottom left-hand corner. Then click on the "more info" link (top center) on the resulting page. All the chart-links are available to the left of the Google-earth image of the airport. You can also preview the charts before saving. Example of Atlanta is here http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KATL

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I also use flightaware for quick and easy access to charts; however, I have experienced an very small number of instances where a published procedure was not available. Therefore, when I am creating a sidstar procedure file I use the FAA as the source. Another FAA site advantage is that it has next cycle digital terminal procedures available about ten days before the issue date. That affords the opportunity to start working on the next cycle well in advance of its issue date.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest n9zn

Good info!I purchased the files from the FAA so I have them locally on my PC. I have all the procedures and info for all available U.S. airports at the touch of a few keys while running the program supplied by the FAA to display them.I find this useful when deviating from the flight plan or an emergency comes up and I want to land at a nearby airport. Airport updates are somewhat rare and when found I can update the files myself. I can even include a new procedure or a new runway if needed.$13.50 well spent I think.Next I am looking at buying each of the U.S. Helicopter, Hi/Lo, instrument, VFR and world charts to have them available for display on a standalone system as I fly or plan flights. The only thing I am uncertain of is how accurate the charts would be when printed so I can use them for flight plotting. Likely they would be ok for simulation.It would be neat, in my view, to plan a flight, plot a route, distribute it to a group, and fly VFR multi-user. Each person participating would have the same flight plan package that way. Putting the flight package togather and sending it to participants would be relatively easy. This would give everyone some exposure and a chance to learn how to manually plot a flight and follow it.If those same folks wanted to purchase the text books, plotters, and etc. we could actually go through exercises as a group. This would help prepare them for a real flight school.Once I get my PC in better working order I may persue this idea. Anyone who is serious about learning how to fly needs to know the basics of how to manually develop and plot a flight. It certainly would not replace a flight school but would go a long way toward making a future school a breeze. Sometimes that little edge can really make a difference when your learning something new.If you know of a group already doing this then please post the link to the group. It would be easier to join and participate in one already organized and operating. Monty