Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Need the lat/lon for a new waypoint?

HiAll the KATL departure sids for south and west departures are not part of the current procedure file.I would like to create (.xml) departure sids using my FMC) for KATL.Where can I get the LAT/LON for new waypoints so I can manually enter them in the navdata fixes file prior to creating the sid?Like is there a reference or on-line document for all the waypoints in the USA showing there lat/lon?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Guest staang

Hello Vaughan,>All the KATL departure sids for south and west departures are>not part of the current procedure file.Which are missing?Which aircraft are you using?>Where can I get the LAT/LON for new waypoints so I can>manually enter them in the navdata fixes file prior to>creating the sid?On my charts many times the waypoints shown also include their Lat/Long. What is the source of the SID charts you are using?>Like is there a reference or on-line document for all the>waypoints in the USA showing there lat/lon?The best source currently is the USFIF at https://164.214.2.62/products/usfif/index.cfm. The WPT.TXT file you can DL contains the US waypoints and the NAV.TXT and ILS.TXT have the radio navaids. You can also do a google search on the waypoint name and sometimes can find a site that has the info you want.RegardsTerry

Guest staang

Oops, almost forgot this one. http://www.airnav.comThis may be the easiest because it has a lookup database for fixes and radio navaids.RegardsTerry

The RNAV procedure charts don't provide latlon.. the only thing that changed cycle 0703 was CANUK3 STAR updated to CANUK4... wonder which one he was askin' about?

Dan Downs KCRP

Terry,First up is to say your work is very much appreciated.It only takes on round of trying to update a proceduremyself to prove what a "non-programmer" I really am.I went to the USFIF site, could not find the WPT.txtfile to download. Darn! Could you tell me what to clickon to get into the correct area of this site for thedownload?What is the source of your charts that show LAT/LON forthe new fixes?What type of chart is it? I may have to purchase some.Dan Downs mentioned RNAV charts do not have LAT/LONinformation on them. That is when you have to get ityourself .... exactly my problem. If the FAA is creatingnew fixes then the information should be available. Papercharts are always a bit outdated.I use SID/STAR plates and real old Jeppesen Low AltitudeEnroute Charts that cover all of USA. No lat/lon info andmany waypoints are not present.*******My basic problem is just keeping the procedures for aselect few airports I regularly fly up to date.Once I get a procedure right I back it up. Then whenyou provide an update I copy my modified over yoursif yours in incomplete.To do it myself I get the new waypoints off of thenew SID/STAR (paper plates) that I download from:http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tppNext I have to get the LAT/LON for each new fix/waypointsthat is not already in the wpNavFIX.txt file.Yesterday I found that information at AirNav.comI would like to know where they get the "raw" up-to-date"data from so I would have several sources including the oneyou provided. Thanks for that.Sometimes I can get the LAT/LON from FSbuild then convertit into the correct format for your procesures file.Then I have to convert the LAT/LON into the same formatthat is used in your procedure file.I found a LAT/LON calculator/converter some time ago at:http://maps2.nris.state.mt.us/topofinder1/LatLong.asp***********Just an example here; think I was actually missing GRITZ.Some of the values may also be wrong in this example.The result of the calculation looks like this forBDODD (RNAV waypoint) at KATL (BRAVS FOUR DEPARTURE):AirNav : BDODD = 33-41-33.300N 084-44-44.500WCalculator/convertesr = Decimal Degrees: 33.69569 -84.74569 The calculator/converter only goes out five digitspast the decimal point. So I just add a zero for the last digit.Your procedure goes out .xxxxxx places.wpNavFIX.txt shows BDODD 33.692583 -84.745694Then I add the new waypoint to the wpNavFIX.txt fileand back it up. ***********At present I do not subscribe to AIRAC updates becausethey do not supply all data for Level-D yet.My last cycle was:;AIRAC Cycle : 0609 (31/AUG/2006 - 27/SEP/2006) - Rev.2So, I have to manually keep it up to date.But, like I said ... just for a few airports so it is notto bad.Now I can get into the Level-D FMC and add the newprocedures or update older ones.**************************************************Re: KATL SIDs in current procedure file.Downloaded for Level-D aircraft.KATL.xml SIDS:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>Missing SIDs are:*************BRAVS4GEETK4JCKTS4JOGOR2NOVSS2PNUTT4THRSR4

Best Regards,

I have found the easiest way to get the data (I am up to maintaining 53 locations now) is to purchase the FAA Digital Aeronautical Information CDROM from the FAA NACO web site. It is only $12.95 plus shipping and includes all fixes for all IAPs, DPs, STARs, Hi & Lo Routes and Navaids plus some other stuff (for US & Territories). It is good for two cycles (we are in the middle of one now).I assume Terry's procedures have all the current SIDs.. you can also check out the one I have for KATL at http://navdata.at or in the AVSIM FS2004 Flight Plans library (search for author=dan downs).The FAA On-Line ordering is at http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/ecom (You're looking for Digital Aeronautical Information).I have found the Navigraph airac updates worthwhile for the small cost even if they don't include sidstars. There's been dozens of changes to runway numbers, new runways, new fixes and minor changes to airway routes since 0609.By the way, the FAA has a real sweet latlon distance/bearing calculation for free at the same site, called Compsys21 it's available at http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/onlineproductsGood Luck.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,Hi again,I e-mailed you the other day and you also answered some of my questions on other recent posts here on this forum.I downloaded the COMPSYS 21 calculator ... thanks, will give it a try after reading the docs on it.The $12.95 CD ... does it have all the "LATS/LONS" for each fix? If so, I will purchase it.NavGraph, per your build up here, I will purchase the subscription.Terry's last cycle .xml's for Level-D (I know you do PGPM) for KATL has all the STARS but these SIDs are missing: I mentioned this in my pervious post. As for what is currently current I do not know. Missing SIDs are:*************BRAVS4GEETK4JCKTS4JOGOR2NOVSS2PNUTT4THRSR4So far I have completed the BRAVS4 ... got to then get KDTW and KJFK done. Then I can go fly on VATSIM.

Best Regards,

Guest staang

Hi Vaughan>First up is to say your work is very much appreciated.Thank you. I try.>I went to the USFIF site, could not find the WPT.txt>file to download. Darn! Could you tell me what to click>on to get into the correct area of this site for the>download?Go to the USFIF page I gave you and click on USFIF. You are then taken to a page where you select what you want. Select the 3 files I mentioned and click on continue at bottom of page. Then you just click the download button to get the files.>What is the source of your charts that show LAT/LON for>the new fixes?I use the USFIF and NATS. You can also go to http://www.aeroplanner.com/flightplanning/approachplates.cfm and type in the ICAO of an airport in the US. You will then be presented a list of all the SIDs/STARs/IAPs in PDF form for that airport.>Dan Downs mentioned RNAV charts do not have LAT/LON>information on them. That is when you have to get it>yourself .... exactly my problem. If the FAA is creating>new fixes then the information should be available. Paper>charts are always a bit outdated.http://www.airnav.com is a nice place to find that info if it is not in the USFIF data..>I use SID/STAR plates and real old Jeppesen Low Altitude>Enroute Charts that cover all of USA. No lat/lon info and>many waypoints are not present.The plates are good but the enroute charts probably won't help much when doing terminal procedures.>>Missing SIDs are:>*************>BRAVS4>GEETK4>JCKTS4>JOGOR2>NOVSS2>PNUTT4>THRSR4Just completed BRAV4 and am adding all the rest plus RMBLN4. Don't know if they will make the 0704 cycle due out tomorrow. I've also added some procedures and/or transitions at KSFO, KJFK and KLAX that were not in the USFIF.RegardsTerry

<>Yes it does, and much more. There's is a lot of duplication since it includes the fixes for each transition, etc.; and it includes waypoints not of interest such as airspace boundaries and airway crossing but it is a very comprehensive source.I have found that it includes all fixes for added procedures some time before airnav picks them up, and the next cycle (remember it only comes out every two cycles) is available on-line about a week before the cycle starts. The next revision cycle will be 0705. The FAA only issues minor changes (or safety of flight stuff already issued by notam) during the even cycles.By the way, it's latlon format is dd mm ss.ssssN ddd mm ss.ssssW so I use an Excel spreadsheet to import the text and translate it into the N dd mm.mmm W ddd mm.mmm format for the text PMDG procedures. It took an hour to get it working but it saves a lot of time. I also use it to sort by alpha, eliminate duplication and get rid of all the unnamed fix info.

Dan Downs KCRP

Terry,When I first went to the site yesterday it all looked so "in a foreign cryptic code" with a massive number of choices!I got the three files. THANKS! for pointing me right at the ones I really needed.I looked at Aeroplanner ... thanks for this additional source of information.Thanks for doing the additional KATL SIDs.When I first went to do the SIDs myself I was amazed at how much information had to be gathered to get the job done!You have to know that your (and Dan's) procedures make it possible for pilots to plan, to fly, to hold, and arrive. Without the procedures you guys supply .... the skys would be a MESS!The other day I was doing a VATSIM flight out of KATL and the Departure controller gave me a departure SID and departure instructions ... which I accepted. Went to enter the SID in the FMC and guess what? It was not there .... I went to hand key it, waypoint not in database message! DARN!So, I looked through my paper departure plates and found an easy one I thought I could had key into the FMC. Yep, waypoins were there.Then I contacted Departure and told him I could not do the departure he assigned. I asked him if I could use XXX and he approved it. Thus began my quest to get whatever is missing so it does not happen again.So, you have to know, when a pilot is assigned a SID/STAR or ILS there is no better feeling than to access the correct procedure and press the "execute key" ...... you have arrived ..... you made it!But we all know, it is throught your efforts .... lots of time too,that makes each flight a good one for such a large number of pilots.Thanks again all ya'all

Best Regards,

Terry: I have no problem with you copying the KATL SIDs from my procedures. This may save you time and get you through the 12Apr issue date for 0704. Most current is sidstars_cycle_0704.zip in AVSIM, which includes KATL.txt.The RNAV SIDs are as published in this case. I often customize the procedures for various departure gates or routes between STARs and IAPs but in this case it's a direct compilation from the DAI.

Dan Downs KCRP