Sign in to follow this  

airports in flight sim 2002

i realise that there is about 22,000 airports to fly to and land in FS,however out of all of us who has landed on every single airport?i mean most of these airports are outback dirt strips anyway so why the hell does M$ include them?my opinion on this is that M$ should reduce the airports in F$ to say 2000 of the main ones and that way there will be more CPU room for faster frame rates!:-wave

Guest RiddlePilot

OOOH, you're gonna get blasted by the bush guys.

I bet that between all of us, we've probably flown to them all.I know I wouldn't be happy, if MS decided to remove airports simply on the basis of size.Would you like it if MS said, oh to hell with your favourite small airport?Would you be the first to moan because they didn't include it?

>my opinion on this is that M$ should reduce the airports in >F$ to say 2000 of the main ones and that way there will be >more CPU room for faster frame rates! i don't think it'd make much difference. the airports are only loaded when they are needed.

Just like said before, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Most of these small airstrips are just a VTP polygon and a runway. If you want to increase performance you can better get rid of all those big complex airports :D (why do we need them, if you want to make a nice VFR flight anyway).Also I don't think it's a good idea to get back to Fs98 standard. That will mean that my country, the Netherlands, only a few airports will be included and all the nice GA airfields would be dropped again.To please everybodies wishes they best leave everything in, then the both the VFR and IFR pilots are happy :)Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I agree, wouldnt make any difference in Frame Rates!And besides, MS have their database with all necessary data to include all the airports, so it would be stupid for them not to include all of them. They certainly just let some Scenery building tool run over the database and include everything, then they prolly simply check and double check. So not really much more work either...Getting a little of track here.CYA

And how would you decide on which to remove?The same way it was in FS98, everything in the USA and outside that country only the major international airports?Or maybe draw concentric circles around some random spot (say, Redmond WA) and decide the minimum runway length for inclusion based on that?Either way, you end up with a sim that leaves GA flyers outside a small area in the cold for only a small gain in diskspace usage.A better option might be regional installation where you can decide to install each continent as you wish (but with current harddisks 90% of users would probably install everything anyway).