Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Flight1 Meridian, would buy it if it weren't for the wr

Well, i guess the topic says it all.I did buy the DF737 when the wrapper wasn't invented yet, and this is the 2nd time i'm passing on a flight one product. I would have bought the 421C but didn't for exactly the same reason. The wrapper.It's not that i'm for piracy, or against the use of keys and such. But the wrapper is taking things way too far in my opinion.Not sure if the people from Flight 1 read this forum and i have been thinking about sending them an email about this subject but they should really consider the fact that the wrapper might actually result in less people buying their products.

I actually posted something like what you have written here on the Flight1 forum, the difference is that my post was deleted just like that.... Nothing amazes me anymore.If a company wants to protect itself it should not be on the expense of the customers. I am offcourse also against steeling software like some people do, but that should be the company responsibility to deal with without me having to suffer from it......Mike

Guest oyvindhansen

What's wrong with the wrapper as opposed to entering your personal data on a webpage and receiving a key or code via mail?- Oyvind

Guest rogue1

I'm missing something here. What is so intrusive about the wrapper? It didn't ask me for any information that they didn't ask for when I purchased the C421. It is just a bit more involved if you lose your keys.

I show my ignorance. What is a wrapper? How does it work? Why is it a problem? Just want to know before I experience it.John SouleAustin, Texas

michaelcedergren:If you visit the Flight1 site, and look at their support pages, you will find a solution. They are aware that not everyone has Internet access where their customers will install/use their product. Additionally, in regards to their product activation schema, it has performed flawlessly for me on every occasion (4 products to date) with numerous operating systems, computers, and Internet providers. I much prefer the way it interfaces with you as opposed to some other vendors (MS included) and as long as you back up your "key" file (as clearly stated numerous times in all their instructions) you will not have any difficulties in the future.See ya,Kathy.Born to Fly.My Dad, Me, My Son.____________________http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e4a693c44a992b6.jpg

Guest AV8RFOOL

767maniac,The wrapper is for your protection as well as ours. You will not believe the volume of chargebacks these days from people using stolen credit cards. The wrapper system is in place to protect you as a consumer from illegal use of your credit card and us as a publisher for the integrity of our business. Thousands of people have had successful installs with our wrapper system with our products. :-smile12If you do not want to proceed with the wrapper system, you can always purchase these products on CD. The 421 is available in CD format and the Meridian should be available in CD format soon. I would hate for you to miss out on these great products.:-beerchugJeff SmithFlight One SoftwareSales Manager

Just thought you'd like another counterpoint... I buy Flight1 products precisely because of the wrapper (and of course the quality ;-)). I think it's the most clever and certainly the most direct way of purchasing freeware. What burns me is paying for a product, downloading it, and then waiting a day or so as the seller gets around to emailing me a key. In my opinion, the wrapper avoids that trap admirably. But then, the only computer I install your products on has a full-time connection to the internet.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Jeff,Thanks for the reply, hadn't looked at it from the credit card fraud point of view. That is a good point.Call me stupid but i didn't realize they were still available on CD and thought the wrapper system was the only option.Cheers and keep on making excellent stuff.

Hello, I have emailed Flight One and also posted a topic on their product support forum titled "Other Purchasing Options?", but have heard nothing back. Will I need to wait for the Meridian on CD, or is it possible to use "special tools" with the download version to enable it to work on non-internet machines? Thanks, Matt

Personally, I think the FLight1 download system is the best of the bunch at the moment. Instant gratification, fast downloads, and very easy to update files. There is no good reason to lose keys. You can back them up on a floppy or CD. I didn't, of course, but when my HD died, FLight1 sent me new keys within a day or so (more than fair IMO!). I detest e-tailers who send you a password several days after you buy their product or make you jump through so many hoops it hardly seems worth it. I would like to see more companies use the FLight1 system.David

Guest AV8RFOOL

Matt,Contact Customer Service on how you can get it to a non-internet connected machine on our website. We can give you instructions on how to install this on a non-internet connected machine.:-beerchugJeff SmithFlight One Software