Sign in to follow this  

Boeing 307 EXE.

Guest wkzzo

I usally dont like EXE installers so I usually run them to a temp folder then manually install the files,I ran into something odd the other day after I ran the boeing 307 EXE to a temp folder.Everything worked fine till I fired up the reality xp gps, it could not locate the data files(GPSDATA.BIN)in the fs2002 root directory, A search through the registry revealed that after I ran the boeing 307 to a temp folder it change the path in -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlightSimulator8.0 and the key in there "EXE PATH" The EXE path(string) changed from c;program filesmicrosoft gamesfs2002 to the temp folder location I ran the 307 EXE to.I have never seen an auto installer do this, so its something to be aware of, I now export a copy of my registry prior to running any EXE file, for me anyway I am always reluctant to run any EXE unless I know exactly what its going to do, it would be nice to have developers give you an option of using an EXE or a zip file, or at least explain in detail which files its going to write to ,especially the registry. For anyone who has run the boeing 307 EXE to a temp directory you may want to run regedit and check your EXE path.

This happens with a number of self-installers, or at least those I have used. That's one reason why I'm not keen on them; particularly, if the developer does not tell you exactly in a INSTALL file where everything is going to go.Other reasons: overwriting of gauges with older versions (common) older versions of modules dlls, automatic updating of SCENERY.CFG files (very dangerous, when like me you're at the limit!) overwriting of critical bgls and texture files in main and SCENEDB folders .... need I go on. What's more, my START/PROGRAM FILES list is now unusable. It runs off the screen to somewhere near Timbuktoo.No, give us a good old zip everytime. With my own uploads, I simply suggest unzipping straight to FS2002 for those who wish to do it that way (having checked my file integrity for about a week first) or doing it manually if you prefer. Which I, for one, do.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Markyboy

So basically what you are saying is that you did not follow the instructions and chose to do things your own way, then hit on a problem. Instructions are given to users so as these things do not happen and had you followed the instructions properly you would not have needed to make a registry change. I completely fail to see the purpose of your post other than to point out to others that if you choose not to do things as per the instructions you are on your own and any problems encountered are therefore entirely of your own making."....it would be nice to have developers give you an option of using an EXE or a zip file, or at least explain in detail which files its going to write to ,especially the registry....."Is it not enough that someone has gone to the trouble of creating an aircraft package for you for free? Most people would also be thankful that they also went to the trouble of creating an installer for you too. You can obviously take the time to post on avsim's forum so I would suggest the next time you require the above information or want to put suggestion to a developer that you take the time to email that developer directly.

Guest wkzzo

Sigh! the point is totally lost on some people.

Guest Markyboy

Sigh! obviouslyHere it is again for you in plain english If you chose not t

> It runs off >the screen to somewhere near Timbuktoo. This is one of the main reasons I also prefer to run an exe file to a temp folder first before manually installing the files. I have hundreds of addon aircraft - so why would I want a small number to be showing up in my start menu ?? :) But I have noticed one curious/possibly alarming thing with some of these EXE files -- When I run them to a temp folder , I examine the content of the temp folder and copy everything to where it should go in the FS2002 aircraft folder and generally everything works fine. Now here is the rub -- I then go to the start menu file and click the "uninstall" item -- and guess what , some of these uninstall programmes not only uninstall the content of the temp folder but actually also delete the actual temp folder itself!!! So I can't help but wonder what would happen if you did install the exe file as per the instructions straight into the FS2002 folder , what would happen to the FS2002 folder if you , at some later point, unistalled said aircraft???Barry

Guest wkzzo

Ninguna marca,I apesadumbrada no hablo una palabra del enlish llano

Guest Bigshot

Yeah; I don't speak that kind of english either!!

Guest eko

Marky, I must respectfully completely disagree with you.While you are correct in stating that had the installation procedure been followed to the letter there would have been no issues, the procedure undertaken by the installer is completely flawed and should not have been released in it's current state.I also develop freeware add-ons, and fully and completely appreciate the effort that has been put into the B307 package. I think it is a FANTASTIC freeware release, and worthy of merit and credit. This is not a post attacking the value of the add-on... only of it's installation procedure.The reason I state that the installer should not have been released is because it makes a completely UNNECESSARY change to your system registry. There is no valid REASON for the installer to modify any part of the registry that is associated with FS2002.The freeware addon does not depend on the FS2002 path registry key even being there to operate... thus, it's modification by the installer is purely an installer issue, not the add-on itself.At most, the installer could check the registry for the path, but under no circumstances modify it. I too installed it to a TEMP folder (like I do all my add-ons), and checked my registry as soon as I had manually transferred the add-on and unistalled the TEMP install.Sure enough, the path which used to point to my FS2002 installation now pointed to my TEMP folder. This is inexcusable. That path is used by other add-ons, and to modify it, without necessity, and without warning whatsoever (neither during the install procedure, nor the documentation), should not be standard operating procedure for any freeware (or payware) add-on that does not depend on registry values.Those are the facts, and they are undisputed.

Hi Mark,I can't recall currently... what's the limit on scenery files in scenery.cfg? I don't think I've gotten near it before, so I'm also wondering... what happens when you exceed that limit? These aren't idle questions, as I'm working on creating some installers right now, and I'd like to make sure they're as bulletproof as possible. Before anyone jumps on me, what I'm trying to do is make an installer that is super easy to use, but provides the power user with a full accounting of where files are being placed, NEVER writes anything to the registry, and can be configured NOT to automatically install easily as well. I want to get it right! I understand that some people just want to unzip and install the scenery/aircraft themselves, and I'm not looking to block that. But you'd be surprised at the positive feedback from some less experienced users that I've gotten from previous installers.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Lets see if we can put this to rest. The installer was made with a program called Install Maker.It uses a registry key to determine where to install The aircraft, and should not modify the Registry. I have found after reading this post that for some reason it does change the location in the registry entry. I have e-mailed the maker of the Program to determine why this has happened. It obviously is a mistake in the installer. However to the question how could this be released in this state... When I test installed, and unistalled the aircraft several times to make sure that not only did it work, but that it Copied, and erased only files within itself. I never had a problem. The reason I had no problems is that I never tried to install it to a diffferent folder other than my Fs2002 folder. It is not possible for any developer to test every single aspect of their product, resulting in the occasional error. I am sorry if this has caused anyone problems, but as stated above if installed correctly there whould be no problems. If the issue can be resolved it will be. ThanksAl

>What's more, my START/PROGRAM FILES list is now unusable. It runs off the screen to somewhere near Timbuktoo.Sounds like it's time for some housekeeping!Mike :-wave

I installed the B307 Stratoliner this afternoon (UK) using the exe file and no problems were encountered. The only change I had to make during the install process was to change the drive destination (FS2k2 is on my D drive). Like Al says, providing you accept the default installation path to YOUR FS2002 folder all should be well.I checked my registry and can confirm that no changes have been made. Perhaps we need to have a little more faith with installer executables. I very much doubt whether a 3rd Party author would risk the wrath of the community without thoroughly testing an archived executable installer prior to uploading to a file library. I have NEVER encountered a problem of this nature.Having said all that, like many I do prefer to unzip archives to a temp folder so that I can control the installation thereafter. I've encountered many zip files that leave files in subfolders so you may end up with, for example, missing gauges simply because the extraction has left them in a subfolder called gauges under the main gauges folder.Mike :-wave

<<<>>The initial point may have got lost in the chain of posts, Mike. Al's installer will not change the registry if you install to the location of your FS2002 as he suggests. It will only do so (and, as you'll read, he's aware of the issue) if people change the path to go to a temp folder. This is the same, if I recall, with ISD's Italy scenery, RS' Marchetti (I may be wrong, can't remember) and several others. <<<>>No developer WANTS to do this, of course. But my points above stand: that unless you know EXACTLY what is going into your system, you run a risk. I'd say on average that about 50% of the self-installers I have bypassed would have overwritten newer gauges on my system. People forget that not everyone has the same rig as their own, particularly when one has made personal modifications to panels, gauges and other files, for example.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg