Sign in to follow this  

Boeing 307 EXE.

>50% of the self-installers I have bypassed would have overwritten newer gaugesYou may be right but so far I haven't encountered any problems as a consequence. Maybe I've just been lucky!While cutting and pasting unzipped files, like you, I prefer to monitor the transfer of each file. Often when I'm asked whether I wish to overwrite an existing/'newer' file I note that the difference is only with the date stamp and not the size of the file. Generally my response in this situation would be 'No'. On the other hand if the 'new' file has a more recent date stamp I will allow the overwrite, but I often wonder whether this is really necessary since both files are likely to be identical.Mike

Guest eko

Al, thanks for chiming in on this thread.As I already stated in my previous post, your addon is a truly superb effort, and I am enjoying it immensely.This thread has served its intended purpose. To make others (and yourself) aware of a potential problem that COULD arise from the use of the installer (if not used exactly as stated in your directions).Like you have stated, there was no possible way you could have foreseen the trouble as you did not test the install procedure to a TEMP folder. And to be honest, I would not have tested that either if it were my release. I would have done exactly what you did, and that is to simply check that my install directions and the installer worked as I expected it to, and to expect the installer to be free of any bugs or complications.I very much hope that the programmer(s) of the installer maker fix this, IMHO, very serious bug in their product. The ball is definately in their court.Again Al, thanks for your input, and your fabulous add-on! (It REALLY is good, I mean... REALLY!) :-)

With all the recent bashing of auto-installers, I'd have to say there are 2 options available that "should" please everybody.1)Make 2 seperate downloads available. A .exe auto-installer version for the novices that don't like following long lists of instructions, and a .zip version for those who prefer the manual method.-or-2)Code the auto-installer such that we get a choice: a) Install the aircraft/scenery/whatever directly to FS (the novice method)or :( Install a .zip file to a specified temporary directory, which has the instructions for manual installation.Obviously, option 2 would pretty much double the download size, so the only real method of satisfying everyone is to make 2 download versions available, an auto-installer for novices and .zip for everyone else.

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest wkzzo

Al ,I am by no means knocking the 307 itself ,its beautiful to say the least, I just have an issue with some installers, I have seen them do some bizzare things. As a side note , I work for the big B here at KBFI and , have been checking in on the restoration process on the 307 , and its comming along fine, alot of my x co-workers are on the restore team.

>Obviously, option 2 would pretty much double the download >size, so the only real method of satisfying everyone is to >make 2 download versions available, an auto-installer for >novices and .zip for everyone else. I don't see why it would double the size. Just some extra options in your installer.For our scenery we have also made an installer. For some people a manual install is just to difficult and that means a lot of complains, although I know some people (including myself) prefer a manual install.But our installer is made in such a way that it is an exe, when you run it normal it works as an auto installer. But when you open the exe with WinZip you can extract it like any other zip file (and no, it's not a autoextracting zip file).This way you can do the good old manual install if you want to (or if the installer fails to run on your PC) and for the others users there is the full auto install.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

This post rang a bell. Since the last few days, I suddenly had AFCAD and AFInstaller ask me the FS2002 path every time I launch them and I couldn't understand why it suddenly did so.Now I know : I installed the B307 in a temp folder.Like many other people here, I never install anything directly to FS2002. It's way too dangerous when you have multiple addons. You can be pretty sure that installing one will kill or corrupt another one. Also, I don't want tens of useless entries in my add/remove software list, nor in my startup menu.Usually, I install to a temp folder, then duplicate the folder, then uninstall automatically, then move the files manually from the duplicated folder to where they belong in FS2002.Some installer ask for FS2002 path and refuse to run if they don't find FS2002.exe (or some other file like scenery.cfg...). For these, I rename my original FS2002 folder and create a new empty FS2002. Sometimes, you have to run the installer, select the FS2002 original folder, then switch to an explorer to rename to xFS2002 and create a new FS2002, then switch back to installer and continue.Eric.

Eric,This rang an alarm bell with me too as I have been frantically searching for reasons why my AI Traffic Mover aircraft editor and Active Camera mouse pan control stopped working. Now it seems to coincide with the install of the Boeing 307. I'm desperate to find out how to fix this problem, if you could help tell me what to do I'd really appreciate it. Thank you, Tom

To restore the registry entry, you can do either of the following:1) if you know how to use Regedit, simply run it and modify the entry specified in the first post to make it point to your FS2002 folder2) if you don't know how to use Regedit, you could simply reinstall B307, but this time do it in the real FS2002 folder. There is no reason it won't overwrite the entry with the right value. In order to not really install into FS2002, rename your FS2002 folder and create a new empty FS2002 folder.3) as a last resort, you can rename your FS2002 folder, reinstall FS2002, then put the newly installed FS2002 to the trash and set back the original name to your FS2002 folder.Eric.PS : or, someone here can post a .reg file that will restore the entry to the right value (I'm sorry, I can't do that right now).

Guest wkzzo

EEmer, do this- click on start click on run, type regedit in the run box hit enter, the reg editor will open. Now under the file tree open this file HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlightSimulator8.0 and the key in there ("EXE PATH") Open up the exe path and chose to modify. now type the correct path to your fs2002 install ,the default is something like this C:program filesmicrosoft gamesfs2002, but before you do this in case you make a mistake, export the the registry to a temp location on your hard drive so you can restore it in the event something goes wrong.

Wallace,Thanks for the response. But I already took Eric's suggestion of reinstalling the B-307 again, this time to the FS2002 root and, voila, so far everything has returned to normal. Whew! I didn't realize how one little step of an installation can really screw things up far on down the line. I did go back afterwards and try your suggestion regarding regedit and found that the path is now correct as far as I can tell. Thanks! Tom

Eric,I took your number 2 suggestion and it worked! Thank you very much!!!!Tom

Hi there, wkzzo.I, too, do not realy like using the self-installing extractors. I also download all my stuff (from any site) to the TEMP folder, and manually move things around. I also keep a record of which folder & files went to which FS2002 directory, etc.Usually, what I do is extract the .EXE installer files, and re-add them into a regular WinZip file (e.g., 7.0). It's difficult to retrace your steps, by going into an FS2002 folder to find out what might have gone where, especially since a lot of aircraft use the same .gau, .fx, etc., files (when viewed by date).Anyway... thanks for the heads up, re: registry keys!By the way, when certain aircraft are installed via .EXE extraction, and you want to un-install them, how is this done, if the aircraft does not appear in the Add/Remove list. I notice that some programs, not just aircraft, are sometimes not even listed in my stand-alone"Add-remove Plus" program (downloaded demo), nor is there a separate "uninstall" option (just for that program file). Is it safe, to just remove the folders & files (not shared by other aircraft), such as those in the Aircraft/Boeing 307 sub-folders?Stanley.