Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

FS2k2 Det Driver Recomendation - 40.72 or 41.09?

Guest flightpro08

Hey everyone :DAfter spending a little bit of time on the 30.82's, I've decided I want to "upgrade" my detonator drivers. Obviously, results will dramatically vary from system to system, but I wanted to get a general overview of what simmers like best.Between nVidia's "Offical" 40.72 and 41.09 detonator drivers, which one do you prefer. Which seems to work "better" in FS2k2? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :-)(I'm vary familar with detonator drivers, so feel free to get "technical" ;-) )Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.82 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

I tried those and a few other beta drivers and have to say i went back to the 30.82's I saw a marked degrade in the scenery texture "swimming", or shimmering with anything above the 30.82's. I have not seen a big enough frame rate improvement to warrant losing that at this point. For now I won't fix what ain't broke :)Hornit

Guest SoarPics

What Hornit said... exactly. Went back to the 30.82's.GF4 Ti4600 @ 320/730 with AMD 2400XP @ 2700 and ASUS A7N8X.

Guest kilo_sierra17

I have had the best luck, Image quality and performance with the 40.72's.

Guest flightpro08

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I also agree with Hornit's point that the 30.82's result in the least amount of swimming textures in FS2k2. The only reasons I've tinked with the thought of switching off the 30.82's are:a.) The FS2k2 text is blockly/jaggyb.) Stars flicker at nightBoth of these things appear to be "fixed" with the detonator 40 series. Does anybody (calling Paul :-) ) know how to "fix" the two above issues with the 30.82's? Thanks again guys. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.82 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Guest Bill Kunert

Try the drivers and if you don't like them do a system restore to the point before you changed drivers. That's the nice part about XP.Bill

Guest JonP01

I also agree that any 40 series driver has inferior IQ to the 30.82 drivers (or in my case the ASUS 31.40 drivers because they are the only 30 series drivers that "know" what an ASUS 9280 card is). I get virtually no graininess or swimming textures with the 31.40 drivers, but it is quite noticeable with any 40 series drivers. That said, the 41.09 drivers do seem to look better than the 40.72 drivers. As far as performance goes, I only see the improvement of the 40 series drivers in benchmarking. In actual gameplay, the 30 series drivers seem just as fast as anything else.

Guest flightpro08

Bumpy bump. Still curious about my two questions. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.82 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

SoarPics, I can use your input. I've recently upgraded from a Pentium III - 600 to the same core setup as you except I'm not currently overclocking and use a GeForce4 Ti 4200 64mb card.With the old P-III, all functions worked okay. But after upgrading to the AMD setup, I couldn't access the menus using ALT in full screen mode when selecting AA within the FS 2002 display settings. To get normal functionality, I'm using 4xS mode on the nVidia control tab under Xp's Display Properties and leaving the box unchecked within FS2002. This is with driver version 30.82, which iMO is the best. However, the stars still blink in and out.Is this normal for an AMD setup? Is it related to the lack of MMX extensions support?Allyn

I had 40.72s and was told they were very buggy. But when I upgraded to 41.09, it takes forever to boot. I ended up installing a standard VGA, then 4109 and that helped for a couple weeks. now I am back to a 5 minute or so bootup.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Hi Ryan-Flightpro08 Slightly off your original question but last night I d/l the latest det drivers 42.68 from guru3d with terrible results. Currently I am using 41.09 and am very pleased with them but the latest 42.68 caused the top half of all the 2D cockpit views to flicker rapidly which I could not eliminate so I reverted back. Shame because they are supposed to offer better frame rates and the o/all external views seemed much brighter.Threw this in for what its worth.

Hi I tried 42.86 same results I am now using 41.80 from the 3dblaster web site no problems in fact very pleased. 1.4 celeron 428mb 3dblaster gforce 4200ti. bigj.

I've recently installed the 42.30 driver with very good results. It is WHQL. I did have problems of freezing with 41.09.Wilson

>I had 40.72s and was told they were very buggy. But when I >upgraded to 41.09, it takes forever to boot. I ended up >installing a standard VGA, then 4109 and that helped for a >couple weeks. now I am back to a 5 minute or so bootup. I had EXACTLY the same problems with the 41.09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Got rid of that driver and put in the 29.42s and problems all gone!:)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest ScottPilot

Hello.I have been using the 40.72's for a while now and last night I switched back to the 30.82's.On my system I get a 4-5 fps increase with an increase in overall smoothness using the 30.82 drivers.Also, my other high-res games run better with the 30.82's.I like the interface better on the 40.72's and I have to start MSFS in windowed mode using the 30.82's, but the overall performance is just better with the 30.82's.So I will continue to use them as long as possible.Scott :-)My System:PIII 1GHZ 512MB SDRAM64MB Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440 card with dual 17" monitors (2X AGP)Windows XP Pro SP1CH Products Flight Yoke & Rudder Pedals