Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

FS2k2 Det Driver Recomendation - 40.72 or 41.09?

Guest United

After experiencing every loss of speed and performance with the NVIDia 40.+ series, I rolled all the way back to 29.42 AND re-installed Windows XP and got rid of DirectX 9.0 as well. I've never been happier. I guess we'll all have to use Direct X 9.0 with FS2004, but until then...........Randy Jura, KPDXAMD1900+1 Gig RamGeForce Ti4600Windows XP SP1

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

After reading the posts in this thread, I decided to take the plunge. I deleted my current nvidia drivers (40.72), created a restore point and installed 30.82 from the nvidia archive page.Without changing anything else, I was rewarded with at least a 5 fps increase. I say at least because I had the FPS choked down to 20 with the old drivers. 30.82 took me from from 15-16 fps to a sold 20.x.My old tired but still critical eyes couldn't detect any decrease in the quality of the scenery display. If anything the sim is more fluid. Asus P4PE, 2.4 GHZ Intel P4, 1 GB RAM, Ti4600 (128 MB) running two analog 19 inch monitors both running in 1280 x 1024 mode.Larry

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Just a quick follow up:Another important side benefit of the change to 30.82 drivers wasn't evident right away.Now with night scenery, I can again see the blue taxiway lights which were indistinct and hard to see with 40.72. I'm finally going to take the advice: "If it's not broke, don't fix it." at least until FS2004 demands DX9 and 45.xxx or whatever...Larry---------------------------System Info:Asus P4PE, 2.4 GHZ Intel P4, 1 GB PC2700 RAM, Ti4600 (128 MB) feeding two analog 19 inch monitors both running in 1280 x 1024 mode. M$ XP pro running FS2002, Flight Tracker 6.0, and Active WX re 1.15.RivaTuner Settings: LOD: -0.1 Depth Buf: 24Z& Enable W Buff, LMA: Enable LosslessZ, Blitting: none selected, VSync: Auto/3, Texture: Determined by Direct 3D (Optimized Defaults), Tex. Orig.: 0, AA.: 2x.FS2002 Options, Settings, Display, Scenery: Custom, TQ: Max, Terr Mesh Complex: 100, Terrain Tex Size: High, Auto Gen Den: Normal, Scenery Complex: Normal, Dynamic Scenery:sparse, Effects Detail: Low, Max Vis: 60 mi, Water Effects: None, Cloud Density: 100, Extended Terrain Tex: checked, Terrain detail textures: checked.FS2002 Options, Settings, Display, Aircraft: Global Aircraft Quality Low, Aircraft Texture Size: Medium, Virtual Cockpit Gauge: Low, Landing Lights: checked Resize panel: checked.FS2002 Options, Settings, Display, Hardware: FullScreen: 1280x1024x32, Enable Hardware accel: checked, Lights: 1, MipMapping: checked, Hardware Rendering- Mip Mapping: checked, Filtering, Bi-Linear: checked.FS2002.CFG:[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=1.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=7.5000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=8.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3

Guest JonP01

Ryan,On your question regarding fixing the blocky text, I'm not sure there is anything you can do to fix this with any driver release prior to 42.01. The text problem remains with the 40.72 and 41.09 drivers whenever AF is enabled. I faintly (and perhaps incorrectly) recall one member saying the text problem went away after installing a WinxP service pack, but I'm assuming you are already up to date on these. (Although I can't understand why this would have made a difference unless the SP changed some video driver components or disabled AF by updating the registry settings).I should also point out I have noticed problems with the 40.72 drivers (but not in FS), where the on-screen animation in certain games would gradually become slower and slower (as in slow motion, not frame rate). The only solution was to reboot the machine. I never noticed this problem in the 41.09 driver or later drivers, but in any case I went back to the 30 series on account of the IQ.