Sign in to follow this  
Guest dcc

FS CoF V9.0 Sound

Everybody is talking about the new weather system and atc. I was wondering if ms has improved the sounds aswell. Of course sound is the thing that immerses yourself into a game. Just imagine flying without any sound. It feels like you aren't there. That's why I was very dissapointed as fs2002 was released. All the boeing's had the same bad and boring sound files! On top of that those sound files where taken from fs2000! It looked like the developers didn't care much about this importent issue.So hopefully all the sounds in the new sim are accurate and newly recorded in better quality. Just imagine what it would be like if your house would start to shake when a 777 fires up the engines for takeoff! It's all about immersion!

It would be really great if they did work on sounds more but we will not really know in till it comes out, but i really think they didnt do anything with the sound engine :( to me it will be the same old one :(

Guest JonP01

In my view, as is the case with flight dynamics, MS have been shown up by the 3rd party developers in this respect. I don't really anticipate any improvements. Otoh, it must be said that the actual sound engine within FS2002 is extremely comprehensive, highly configurable, and very efficiently written. It even appears to have features that are not documented in the FS2002 aircraft container SDK. So I feel it just comes down to the skill of the person who develops individual sounds for each aircraft, and, as you say, the quality of the wav files available at the time. If you look at the 3rd party work done by people such as Aaron Swindle, Mike Hambly and Bill Lyons, MS have really been caught in their dust, so to speak. I would rather hope that MS concentrate their efforts upon improving the core engine in lieu of things that already have been (or at least are relatively easily) improved upon the 3rd parties. There is only so much time and so much resources to devote to this sim before July, and I feel the core engine has to be a strong priority in the scheme of things.

Guest dcc

By far, the sound 'engine' is the least developed physical model in the sim. It uses a waveform-concatenation synthesis technique that's been around for ages and is just not sophisticated enough to re-create the interior sound field as it ought to be. For instance, we cannot simulate acoustic cavity resonance within the cockpit, as the sound playback is based on simply increasing the playback rate of a WAV file. While it does a fair job of providing multi-sample amplitude and rate envelopes, it could be enahanced with some basic real-time filtering technology. The whole area of stereo imagery could be improved as well.There are some other areas of the 'soundscape' that can be enhanced, such as sonic booms, or when if you open a canopy on a WWII plane it should get a lot louder, or when you close the door you hear a thud, or the creek of the plane (cfs3 introduced this) during flight, or even your proximity to the engine inside ( eg. sitting in back or front of a 727...) Plus, the mixing of non-looped and looped sounds could use some improvement, as this sometimes just doesn't work too well ... Rather than spend time/effort recording new sound samples, I'd rather see the developers improve the underlying sound 'engine' and give sound designers a more versatile tool to work with. - dcc