Sign in to follow this  
michal

FS9 - Patch or Stand-alone???

Hi everyone,I've seen mixed impressions of FS9 over the past few days and I'm very confused as to if FS9 is just a large patch for FS2002 or a whole new simulator? This may sound silly but I'd just like to clear this up once and for all.Regards,Canadian HawkC-GTGK

It is officially a standalone new simulator.... FS2002 *not* required.But they might mean "patch" as in this version is an improved FS2002 instead of a major rewrite.....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest PaulL01

>Hi everyone, >>I've seen mixed impressions of FS9 over the past few days >and I'm very confused as to if FS9 is just a large patch for >FS2002 or a whole new simulator? This may sound silly but >I'd just like to clear this up once and for all. >>Regards, >>Canadian Hawk >C-GTGK Wouldn't a "patch" imply that something is broken or was not functioning as designed?Clearly that is not what FS9 is, neither will it be just an upgrade of a new scenery feature like "real looking mountains" or a few hundred more airports, some new planes with a few new features that we didn't have before as has been the case in the pre FS2k2 days.Why would FS2k2 require a "whole" new rework to become a whole new sim?FS9 sounds like it will be a fantastic upgrade to an already truly great sim.But, I don't think anyone here can answer that question for YOU, just go back and re-read the press release for yourself and make up your own mind, or simply wait for its release.

This is what I thought. I think I've stirred up a little more here than was originally intended. I apologize for any confusion.Regards,Canadian HawkC-GTGK

Stir on McDuff....bubble, bubble, toil and trouble. (he,he). I think the patch idea is a little valid. It seems that this version probably contains more than 50% of the original program. Why else are they touting a price of only $55, when FS2k2 was more expensive? Just thinking.

I think some people are confusing the meaning of "patch" where FS2004 is a standalone product derived from minor updates of FS2004, with the meaning of "patch" where the FS2004 cds would be an update release for FS2002, requiring FS2002 to be installed (or purchased, for new users) before FS2004.It may have been derived from FS2002, but it's still a standalone product with no dependencies on earlier versions. :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Hey guys, what am I missing. Have I been in some sort of time warp.FS9????????What, how, when, where? This is the absolutely first I've heard about it. What is it, and when is it due out?Enlighten me...................PLEASEAllan

patch == bugfix release to fix critical problems with an existing productFS9 == new product created using parts of the oldtherefore FS9 is no patch.

You're confusing the concept of an upgrade with a patch.A patch is an emergency fix for critical products.An upgrade is an improved version with new functionality.FS9 might fall into the second category which in part explains the lower price (the current economic situation which means they won't sell as many units if they didn't lower the price is another).No games manufacturer has ever offered an upgrade path AFAIK, so I don't think there will be a reduced-price offer to get FS9 for FS2002 users. But given all the new stuff promised I don't think that's needed (given what all that would cost you if you purchased it as standalone addons).

Hi Jeroen,I think you're confused with the *original* concept of a patch.A patch *today*, by and large, is the completed version with missing functionality - and bug fixes. There are too few games released the last few years that shipped feature complete (FS, thankfully, being one of them!).Examples abound: Fly! II was of course the absolute worst example in the history of game releases so far (due to its publisher, not TRI). But, almost *every* game now ships feature incomplete and gets a "patch" that completes them. First Person Shooters for example: they don't come with all the maps designed for them anymore - only the ones the developers actually completed (and far too few in many recent FPSers). They call the post-release of maps "Bonus Packs" these days, but it surely doesn't fool everyone. Same thing happens with RPGs: Dungeon Siege and Never Winter Nights are prime examples - whole swaths of functionality missing upon release.The standard today is to ship feature incomplete - and "patch" later. Patches *used* to be just that: fixes for bugs that got missed... And nothing more.No wonder everybody's confused. :-(Take care,Elrond

Message 0:>Hi everyone,>I've seen mixed impressions of FS9 over the past few days and I'm >very confused as to if FS9 is just a large patch for FS2002 or a >whole new simulator? This may sound silly but I'd just like to clear > this up once and for all.>Regards,>Canadian Hawk>C-GTGKReply to Message 0:>IT IS NOT A BLUMIN PATCH !!!! He was just asking a question... :~P geeeeeeezzzzz!!!! :-lol :-hang ;(8

>This may sound silly Yes, it not only sounds silly - it is.If you are below 17 - you are of course excused.Michael J.