Sign in to follow this  
raynuss

My FS9 wish: Railroads!

Guest BrianC

Pretty much everything else that appears on a VFR chart is reasonably representable in FS2002. Railroads I believe are the main thing missing. They are extremely useful for real world VFR flight, especially in rural areas where they stand out more from the landscape than in cities.I won't go so far as to suggest that they make MSTS trains run on the lines. No sir. ;)

Good idea indeed. I think it all depends on the resolution we can have on the VTP lines in the new sim. In theory we can already place railroads in Fs2002, but with the resoltion of 4.8 meter/pixel of the mesh they will only look like a brown line or so and not like a railroad. So, let's hope the resolution gets a bit better and then railroads are possible (again).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

At first I wanted to tell you if TrainSim rings a bell :( , but now that I see your point, I agree that railroads could be quite useful for the VFR flight...:-badteeth

Absolutely!! I believe they were referred to as "Ye old iron compass." back in the day. Unlike you, however, I would go so far as to suggest integration between the two MS products. Unfortunately, though, I think MSTS was not actually written by MS and works completely differently. One or both programs would need to be totally rewritten for such an event to occur. What am I saying? I would love to see a cross between MSFS9 with MSTS2 with both working aircraft and trains.

We got some nice Locomotives in CFS3...should'nt be hard in FS...Sorry, shot the Boiler on this one....and taken shots at some Staffers! :DAlso, thats the default Rail Texture (I just reloaded for the Patch) there is a proper (smaller) one that looks a lot better!

There was a program called "FSRail" by Burkhard Renk that was developed for FS98 and FS2k that was an implementation of railroads and highways with dynamic traffic into the scenery. I installed a demo for the Chicago area and was very impressed. I never bought the complete version because FS2k2 was released and there was a problem with compatability. It seems that the autogen scenery would not generate in the vicinity of the tracks and highways, so if you had the tracks runniing through a metro area, the buildings would not be there. The author has discontinued the program development, but the website is still up if you're interested. Go to http://www.fsrail.com/Ray