Sign in to follow this  
Guest melevine

What do you do in "Real Life"..when you aren't simming?

I'm a financial analyst, working for local government in Boulder, Colorado. 53 years old, born in New Zealand and immigrated here to the US in 1991. Now a US citizen. I love hiking in the Rockies, and flying (instrument rated), as well as simming and computer stuff. Kids are all raised and married off or living away, just my wife and two cats left. Good thread, nice getting to know more about people.Bruce.

Well I guess it's my turn now.I'm 38 years old, single (My Girlfriend and I have been together 6 years)living just outside Vermont's State Capital of Montpelier and until this past Feburary I'd been an EMT-Intermediate for the 4th busiest ambulance service in Vermont. Before that I worked as a parts clerk at the local Ford dealer. I've been unemployed since Feburary and I'm still looking for work. I actualy had to turn down a job with Jet Blue as a ramper, since it was only 18 hours a week and with the 80 mile round trip it wasn't feasable to drive to KBTV. I've tried for 4 avation parts jobs (and car stuff too)as well but Nada so far... In the meantime I've been making planes for Abacus to help keep food on the table. I'm still fighting with my former employers for some back pay they owe me as well.I've been simming ever since FS 5 and making planes and scenery since FS 2000My Girlfriend and I have been involved with animal rescue (dogs, German Shepherds in particular) for the last 5 years. I currently have 8 dogs ranging from Brandi, a 28 pound Besengi Mix to Duke, my Big 150 pound German Shepherd. Here's a link to pics of the "crew"http://www.rosiesvtcabin.homestead.com/Dogs.html http://www.rosiesvtcabin.homestead.com/Pets.htmlHopefully I can find some work soon so I can get back to some freeware planes.Brian

Interesting ThreadI'm 24, live in Illinois, I am a Funeral Director/Embalmer, Started simming on an Atari, but didn't become a serious simmer until about 2 years ago. I enjoy Kayaking obviously, hiking, mountain biking, reading, and simply enjoying life.Eric

Guest Dakota

I am 44 and work as an electrical engineer for a large aircraft company in Seattle. I design electrical systems for the largest twin engine plane ever produced.

Great Thread, very interested to read what other folks are into these days. This hasn't been done in a while.Here goes:I'm 40 years old, just had my checkup and my cholesterol is normal, blood sugar is normal, and umm my colon is about the right size.I've been married to a wonderful wife for almost 18 years, and we have two boys, my youngest is 10, and my oldest just turned 14. Incidentally, My wife and I just gave him a gift of flight without Dad flying. 1 Hour in a 152, with instructor, flight bag, books, logbook, etc....Our kids are everything. And let's just say I'm involved. I'm currently a baseball coach for my youngest, serve as his den leader for webelos, (10 Rambunctious 10 year olds), serve on the Troop committee and as Treasurer for my oldest son's Boy Scout Troop (He's just about at Life, then on to Eagle), And I'm proud to be be a Certified Lead Climbing Instructor, teaching scouts how to do 120 foot Rappels, climbing, belaying, etc... (Mostly in Joshua Tree NP, Jumbo rock). Our Troop has invested thousands into the program, and we own all our own equipment, Ropes, (Static & Dynamic) Hardware, about 30 helmets, all logged each time its used. Fun Stuff. Served proudly for six years in The United States Marine Corps (83-89), then went to college after that. Started out in Mortgage Banking, then moved on to Financial Advisor, (Glorified name for Stock Broker), Got out of that in 2003, and moved my family out to Temecula, California from Chicago Suburb. (Wife is from here). (wonderful place to raise your kids, very R) :-) Now I'm in the beginning stages of setting up a new company, which has devoted much of my time. Business area is Real Estate, with a side stop in Real Life Aviation as well. I've been a PP-ASEL Since 1999, (46.1 Hours, in 6 months) and that is what got me involved with simming. I almost Bought a Cessna Cardinal, but now want a Cirrus SR22. Hopefully within the next year and a half or so.1st sim was when I did my training. Pro Pilot 99, then Fly! II, MSFS 2002 Pro, and now MSFS9.I look at life this way. I have a limited amount of time with my children before they are released into the world. I expose them to many things, cultural, sports, (both play tackle football), Oldest plays a mean Alto Sax, both are on Honor Roll, and overall, no one ever complains about them, which confirms we're doing this experiment of raising kids pretty well. :-)Those of you that have younger children. Stay Involved, choose family over work, and simming. It's more important, and creates more memories than an office ever will. Stay involved with as much as you can that your kids are involved in. It's amazing to see them grow up into young gentlemen and know you were a part of it. They don't watch Prime Time TV, although their favorite show is on in the morning, Sports List on ESPN.So my main Job now is a Father to my children, and a Husband to my wife. :-)Regards,Joeaopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest TPT82

I am 41 years old. I have worked in law enforcement for 14 years. I spent 8 years in the Army Reserve. I am currently training to earn a Private Pilot Certificate.I have been simming since I bought my first computer in 1990. I started out with combat sims (F19 Stealth Fighter and F15 Strike Eagle). That same year I purchased MSFS. I cannot remember which version it was. I have been hooked on flight simming from day one.I enjoy perusing the AVSIM forums almost as much as I enjoy flight simming. This is a great community. I lurk for the most part, but every once in awhile I move out of the shadows. :-) Nick

Guest TWVA395

I'm 17 years old and I'm currently a senior in high school. (turning 18 in May)... I've taken a few pilot lessons, but I haven't made anything of it(yet :(). My goal is to become a commercial pilot. I'm going to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in June (first class flight training or whatever its called) and for the next four years. I'll be majoring in Aeronautical Science, airline pilot specialty. I might also be working with a professor there to incorporate MSFS into a course that he teaches. I've been simming since FS95.On a side note, this thread is really interesting. Great idea!http://darkstarorder.com/sigs/Batman/SigFinal.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

I'm a college professor. I teach half-time and am the co-chair of the department the other half.I've always wanted to learn to fly, but the closest I've come to it in real life is a flight in an Archer with a friend who was getting his IFR rating.I started flight simming on a Sinclair ZX in about 1983. I went from that to the Commodore 64 and bought Flight Sim when it became available. I later bought an Amiga and bought Flight Sim for the Amiga. In 1990, I bought an MS-DOS machine and, of course, Flight Sim (was it version 4? don't remember now).The rest is history. I've kept up with all the Flight Sim releases; in addition, I've bought other flight sims such as Flight Unlimited, X-Plane, and others.Cheers!Joel Murray

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I am an 37 year old Air Traffic Controller in the Air Force. I have been flight simming since circa FS 98 days. No matter where I am in the world...the US, Germany, Saudi, Turkey, the Stans or Iraq, I always keep up with what is going on in the world of FS. FS is a great hobby...!!CheersScottTinker AFB, USA

Guest litow

I am only 70 years young. Retired from North American Philips where I worked as an electronic technician. Living near Miami, Florida and flight simming since the mid 80's.Best regards to allLitow

Hi all,I'm 53, Belgian but living in France. I am working as engineer on the boosters of Ariane launcher, and therefore, I have to go frequently to Kourou, French Guiana.I have an adorable wife and four boys aged 15 to 24.Previously, I was maintenance engineer on F-16 aircraft in the Belgian Air Force.I started simming with Pro-Pilot 98 and since then I try to get closer and closer to reality ! I "fly" mainly round the world (choosing remote destinations, and flying 1-2 hours legs to there). I just finished a flight from Palmyra (Syria) to Baghdad.I also like hiking, especially in the Fontainebleau forest (I live at the border of this wonderful area !)Very cool threadCheers to allAlain

When I'm not behind my desk flying I'm behind my desk working or flying somewhere to look at a property.I work at home and do commercial real estate consulting (I travel all over the US inspecting properties for companies that are purchasing or making a loan on a property.)First flight simulator I ever played was on an Apple II way back in 1983.Matt Fox

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) it is my honest pleasure to be associated with such a great group of human beings (...)"I second that. It's nice to see people tell a bit about themselves for, if I may be so bold to quote the Great Bard, it "gives to airy nothing a common habitation and a name". In fact MORE than just a name: it adds quite some personality and face to the screen names.Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

My name is Gene Davis(33), some of you will know me from the reviews I have had published. For most of my life I lived in Yakima, WA and served as a Reserve Cop there for almost three years(I am very proud to have served with my brothers in blue, and miss them very much); during that time I owned a security company and that was my more than full time job. Subsequently, I ended up selling my company and after a couple failed relationships I decided to just start over, got the heck out of dodge! I have since moved to the Oregon Coast where I spend my work days as a Ranger and write reviews for addons for MSFS, I currently write for Computer Pilot Magazine, FsimCafe, Flightsim and very soon I will have a review published on AVSIM (NAW, my plates not full enough yet). I spend most of my offtime on the beach with my dog and I love taking pictures of this beatiful area that I live in.Anyhow, that is me in a nutshell..