Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Part II: What do you do in "Real Life"..when you aren't simming?

Guest rmce

I am 57, been around Fs since Bruce Artwick!Fs has driven numerous upgrades searching for the elusive frame rate!I have a psychology degree, and many years ago ran out of money at PPL lesson 16.I also teach, and was a professional guitarist for many years.Now working with disadvantaged kids..so FS is my 'climb down' from work.Enjoy travel to all parts from Bonnie Scotland, my home.There are real world pilots in the forum, and many a chat/forum converstaion I have enjoyed.My current mentor is a SouthWest 737 pilot!

Guest LonzoTWA

Well, I started flying when I was 16 and finished my PPL high school. The next three years were college and flying. I got all of my ratings and then started teaching at the school. I graduated a year hearly so I did nothing but teach for my senior year. I then got on with the USAir Express carrier PSA (Jetstream at that time) and flew for them for almost 3 years flying the Jetstream 31 (Hmmm, That gives me an idea!) and the Dornier 328. I then got on with TWA and started my Major airline career. People can talk all they want, but TWA was an awesome place to work. You really felt like you were part of a family. I flew sideways on a 727 for about nine months and then got a front row seat. I then upgraded to the 757/767 (that explains my 757 freeware panel). Things were great. Then came the American deal. I was kicked off the 757/767 to the MD80 which I flew for about 3 months and then hit the street. I flew 135 in a Diamond jet and KingAir for 8 months and then got on with a great company flying a Beechjet 400A around. There is talk that we are going to step up to something a little bigger and nicer so my fingers are crossed.Well, as you can see, my entire life is made up of airplanes, and infact, I just bought one a year ago. I bought a 72 Piper Arrow II. I JUST CANT GET AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!!:)Lonny

I'm 54 years old and work as a construction foreman, mostly on school additions and water treatment plants. Got my flight sim start on a Commodore 64. Also enjoy C++ programming, classical music and military history. (See my warbird posts "True Stories" at the Avsim combat flightsim forum)Best wishes to you all from Somerset Pennsylvania USA!

This looks like an old ongoing thread, I might as well add to it. I am 22 and at any given time I usually am working 1 of 3 jobs to support my flying habit ;) My main job is as an aircraft distpatcher/do-it-all-around-the-office for the college that I attend where I am finishing up the Commercial Pilot program after. Second job is working as Special Security Services at a local ampitheater venue. Third job I only do once in awhile and that is working at an aviation book and supply store on Boeing Field in Seattle. When I am not doing those it is of course spend studying, siming or relaxing with all the pilots from school.

Guest Jock in a Frock

38 Years old, telecoms engineer with a major international telco. I won't say who, but the name rhymes with Unable & Clueless. First to guess wins 20 metres of used co-ax cable.I work on everything from an individual copper phone line to a multi-terabit fibre optic transmission system (can you say "broadband"? ;)). Voice, data, microwave radio, switching, ISDN, Cisco, SDH, PDH, ATM, IP, Frame Relay, Q.931, PBX's.In my spare time I built the internet ;)

Mike Blackburn said... <> Is that why I fall asleep at the yoke all the time!!! I'm a TV videojournalist for the BBC in Nottingham UK. I used to fly a lot, but four kids later I find there's just not the time. My baby daughters first sentence was " Daddy, turn the pooter off!"Mike, I hope your baby is fantastic... S/He'll be 1 year old now, I reckon that's the best age... too early for tantrums and about smack on for being loving.Jim Harris EGNXA War Story

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I'm 31, married 13 years with 2 children. I am an Engineering Detailer working here in Cassville, Missouri, but when I'm not at work or flying FS, I'm playing with my kids, or hiking, or camping, or playing some other computer game, or hanging out with friends.-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifCurrent system:Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 641 (3.40GHz), Abit AW8D, Gigabyte GeForce 7900GTX (512MB DDR3 PCI-Express x16),Corsair XMS2 Pro 2GB PC2 6400 (DDR2 800), 2 SeaGate Barracuda 250GB hard drives, Sound Blaster X-Fi PlatinumKlipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers, NEC 20" CRT, Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2Please note: System specs are for reference in tech forums only and are not to be taken as meaning anything else.Doing so will result in eye-rolling, possible teeth grinding and perhaps mild internal chuckling.Happy Flying!

I'm a full time non-traditional (as in older) college student, majoring in paralegal studies. I'm pretty new to the MS flight sims. My only exposure up until now has been to a much eariler version that I played with a bit on my brother's computer.I tried out the demo last weekend and had so much fun that I went out an bought (or rather charged) the Delux version this week. So I'm dealing with a rather steep learning curve, so I was really disappointed at the skimpiness of the manual.I ended up on Avsim when I was searching for ways to make FSX run better on my computer (because I don't own a super-computer).~ Arwen ~

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Guest daviddurst

Normally don't post anything but here goes --45 years old, have been using Flight Sim since 1988 and first started on the Commodore Amiga, panel designer for FS 98 - 2004. Engineer for a telecom company for the last 10 years in Chandler, Az and in my spare time work on PC's for friends and neighbors. I have been flying since 1988 got my ratings and training in Long Beach, Calif and have flown most of So Calif, Nevada and Arizona. For the past 2 years me and the wife have been flying in one of the following - 2006 C172 G1000, 2006 C182 G1000, 2004 Piper Arrow III w/ A/C (our summer plane) and a 2004 Cessna Turbo 182Check us out - www.flyingarizona.net

Guest TommyF

In real life I am an F-15 Crew Chief. I am currently stationed at Elmendorf AFB which is right outside Anchorage, Alaska. I have about 4-7 more months before I seperate from active duty and join the Air National Guard as a part timer so I can persue my next goal in life, entrepeneurship (sp?). My family and I will move back to south Florida where I will run my own restaurant. Anyway, Im excited to be the "new guy" here in the forums and look forward to chatting with you guys.

I'm forty something and I work in a museum, note I said work, although some would suggest I am an exhibit!

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest Ichinin

33 years old in Sweden here. No woman, no cry.I commute to work 2 days a week and at work i teach my students how to code in VB and C++. The rest of the week is pretty much spent on computer games.I also try to work on my own software projects, but work go REALLY slow whenever a new cool game is released. Hopefully i'll grow up soon :D

Think I replied in the original thread, but ...I'm 46 (about to turn 47 at the end of December), and I have been noodling around with flight sims since the Timex Sinclair ZX (anyone remember that computer?).I'm a college professor who has a dual role: half of my time at work, I teach people how to write decent essays, and the other half I am the co-chair of my department. The teaching is the fun part of my day; the administration is the challenging part.Anyway, I've been married for 14 years and have two beautiful children, a daughter who's six and a son who's eleven.It is really interesting to read who else is involved in this hobby!

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Guest kdz14

I am 15, and have been flight siming since 2000. my first flight sim was FS 5,then ,FS 6 ,FS 8, and FS 9. and as for work I work in a custom cabnet shop, building mostly cabnet doors, 3 day a week and do school work the other two. in my spair time I flight sim :-)

Guest fyrestrtr

I'm 27 and have been flight simming since Chuck Yeager's flight simulator came out. When I am not trying to land a plane, I work as an IT manager for a multinational T&L (Transportation & Logistics) firm. I also enjoy listening to Jazz music, programming, and mentoring others.