Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Countries I have Flown To

I thought it would be fun to post a list of countries you have flown to. And somewhat masochistically, publish my very painful list. Keep in mind that I have been doing international flights since 1953 (yes, I count my flight to Hawaii in 1953 as an "international" flight), and everyone of the countries listed below represents hours spent painfully sitting on an airplane, in an airport, or in transit to the airport. My longest haul to date? 22.5 hours actual flying time, 34 hours from my door to the hotel bed (from Charlottesville, Virginia to the Hyatt Hotel in Canberra, Australia - twice in six weeks, I might add)... So, here is my list:EUROPE:NorwaySwedenFinlandDenmarkThe NetherlandsBelgiumGermanyAustriaLuxemburgItalyFrancePortugalSpainGreeceTurkeyEnglandScotlandAFRICA / MID EAST:KuwaitUAEJordanTunisiaEgyptOmanQatarASIA:JapanSouth KoreaTaiwanChinaPhilippinesThailandMalaysiaSingaporeIndonesiaAUSTRAL ASIA:AustraliaNew ZealandFijiTongaNew HebridesAMERICAS:CanadaHawaii - first trip in 1953 aboard a DC-4 (before it was a state!)And, I have visited by car or airplane, all the remaining 49 states at one time or another...As for airline miles, between the now defunct TWA, as well as ANA, JAL and United, I probably have over 2.5 FFP million miles - actual miles? I really don't know. And god only knows how many miles I have on Delta, American, BA, Lufthansa, Air France, and others... I have lost count. All I do know is that with United, my wife and I will never have to buy a ticket in our retirement (assuming UAL stays in business and their Frequent Flyer program doesn't disappear!) I am sure that I have left off a country or two, but that should be a good start. By the way, I have all my passports to prove those trips after 1980, and where the bulk of the travel started. Now, who will have "bragging rights"???? I think my travels present a pretty stiff challenge, but I would like to see some poor guy/girl who has more than I, so that I can feel sorry for them instead of me... :( EDITED TO UPDATE COUNTRIES LIST

Guest ben_hewitt

Wow Tom, that's a pretty impressive list- mine is kinda embarrassing compared but here goes!:Europe:UK (I live here)FranceGermanyBelgiumPolandNetherlandsUS:FloridaMaineThat's it!, it's tiny.

No matter one country or two dozen or so... It all counts for learning about your fellow man and recognizing that we are all in this together... Despite what some would have you believe.

Guest ben_hewitt

Nicely Put Tom, I really hope I get to visit as many countries as you in my time. I love travelling and exploring new places but it's finding the time and money at the moment to do it. :(

With some rare exceptions, most of my trips have been business related, and I did not have to pay for them. And those trips that were private were paid for in milage... Hard earned, painful milage. :)

Wow...been a long time since anyone made me count all the pins in the map on my wall. Haven't logged nearly as many miles as Tom, but 24 years of military flying as an airlift and VIP pilot sure put a lot of different holes in the map...some pretty interesting ones, too. Still have most of the visas if Tom wants to challenge me to a show down at some future Avsim convention... :-) Nearly all of these garden spots were viewed through the front windows of the aircraft.Here are the countries/territories and one of the more interesting destinations in that country:EUROPEIceland (Reykavijk)Norway (Oslo)Sweden (Stockholm)Finland (Rovaniemi)Ireland (Shannon)North Ireland (Belfast)Scotland (Edinburgh)England (London Northolt)Denmark (Copenhagen)Portugal (Lisbon)Azores Islands (Lajes)Spain (Rota)France (Toulouse)Belgium (Chievres)Netherlands (Amsterdam)Germany (Ramstein)East Germany (Berlin)Switzerland (Geneva)Czechoslavakia (Prague)Czech Republic (Brno)Slovakia (Bratislava)Slovenia (Ljublana)Austria (Vienna)Italy (Brindisi)Greece (Athens)Turkey (Izmir)Cyprus (Akrotiri)Hungary (Budapest)Croatia (Zagreb)Bosnia (Sarajevo)Serbia (Belgrade)Kosovo (Pristina)Macedonia (Skopje)Albania (Tirana)Romania (Bucharest)Poland (Lask/Lodz)Lithuania (Vilnius)Latvia (Riga)AFRICA/MIDEASTTunisia (Tunis)Morocco (Rabat)Cote de Ivoire (Abidjan)Ghana (Accra)Egypt (Cairo West)Chad (N'Djamena)Nigeria (Abuja)Cape Verde Islands (Sal)Angola (Luanda)Ethiopia (Addis Ababa)Kenya (Nairobi)Somalia (Mogadishu)Tanzania (Dar es Salaam)Rwanda (Kigali)Zaire (Kinshasa)Zambia (Livingstone)Zimbabwe (Hwange Natl Park)Botswana (Chobe)South Africa (Capetown)Oman (Muscat)United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi)Saudi Arabia (Al Kharj)Qatar (Doha)Bahrain (Bahrain)Kuwait (Kuwait City)Iraq (Baghdad)Jordan (Amman)Israel (Tel Aviv)ASIATurkmenistan (Ashkhabad)Uzbekistan (Tashkent)Azerbaijan (Baku)Tajikstan (Dushanbe)Kyrgistan (Bishkek)Georgia (Tbilisi)Armenia (Yerevan)Ukraine (Kiev)Belarus (Minsk)Khazakhstan (Alma Ata)Russia (Irkutsk)USSR (Moscow)China (Kunming)Phillipines (Angeles City)Nepal (Kathmandu)India (Bombay)South Korea (Osan)Thailand (Karat)AUSTRALASIAAustralia (Alice Springs)New Zealand (Christchurch)Antarctica (McMurdo Sound)OCEANIABritish Indian Ocean Territories (Diego Garcia)American Samoa (Pago Pago)Mariana Islands (Guam)Marshall Islands (Kwajalein)Midway Islands (Midway)Aleutian Islands (Shemya)AMERICASUnited States (Jackson Hole)Canada (Cold Bay)Mexico (Mexico City)Honduras (Palmerola)Panama (Panama City)Peru (Lima)Bolivia (La Paz)Chile (Iquique)Argentina (Buenos Aires)Brasil (Rio de Janeiro)CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ok, lets see:Europe:NorwaySwedenFinlandLatviaGermanyAustriaFranceSwitzerlandPortugal/MadeiraItalyEnglandSpainOther:USA (CA, DC, SC, WA)KenyaTunisiaSeychellesBRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Mine reads rather small compared to yours, but I'll give it a shot...Americas:CanadaU.S. (of course)MexicoVenezuelaAsia:JapanWestern Pacific:GuamEurope:IrelandEnglandHollandGermanyItalyAustriaSwitzerlandLongest Haul was a flight home from Munich, in 1977. I flew from Munich to Vienna, Vienna to Shannon, Shannon to Gander, Gander to JFK, JFK to DFW, and DFW to SFO. Our DC-8 fought headwinds all the way back to the U.S., hence the visits to Shannon and Gander. It was 7AM when I left the hotel in Munich for the airport, and roughly 6AM the next day California time when I arrived at my door. With the time difference, I believe it was 33 hours and subtracting out time on the ground, about 24 hours in the air.My longest non-stop hauls were DFW-Frankfurt in '87 and SFO-Narita (Tokyo) in '92. Stateside, during my roadie days of '89-'00,, I flew into almost every state and certainly flew over all of them, outside of Alaska and Hawaii. I have flown in some type of contraption every year since 1977, and first flew on a PSA Electra in 1966...-John

"Hawaii - first trip in 1953 aboard a DC-8 (before it was a state!)"How in the world did you fly a DC-8 in 1953? Don

North America:United StatesCanadaCentral America:MexicoBelizeSouth America:GuyanaCaribbean:JamaicaEurope:United KingdomFranceGermanyHollandSwedenDenmarkAsia:IndiaRegards,Mike T.

Guest Ken_Salter

Not too many for me:Americas:CanadaHawaiiAfrica:Morrocco (by boat from Spain)Europe:SpainItalyBelgium (stop over)Central America:BelizeGuatemala (by boat from Belize)My future plans (next few years) are to visit Mexico (my sig other is from Mexico City so trips to Mexico will be frequent), go back to Europe, and maybe go to South America. And I would like to visit Japan at some point.

Not that many..Denmark (Copenhaagen..doh), Germany (Stuttgart), Greece (Samos) and Spain (Canary Islands) :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest ssurjap

I've only been to Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, and Indonesia.