Sign in to follow this  
Guest KGFL

Who's the oldest flight simmer?

Guest KGFL

I'm curious as to what the age range of my fellow flight simmers is. I'm 49 years old, and I love doing flight sim. My wife thinks I'm nuts and a tad obsessed about FS. I've been nuts about airplanes all my life and flight simming is way I can indulge my passion for aviation on the cheap.Is there anybody out there older than me, or am I the AVSIM senior citizen?

Guest JimC1702

53 here. Are you in Glens Falls? I'm close by in Fulton County (NY0).Jim

59 and been enjoying it for over 12 years. Looking forward to the next version and my Christmas present....Track IR4. ps. My wife used to think I was unreasonably "obsessed", but she now knows and realizes how important and necessary this hobby really is for me. It is great, clean fun and it keeps you very sharp. Everyone needs a hobby that is dynamic....that is "ever-changing". Flight Simming is perfect.

Well, that counts me out lol, I thought I had everyone at 22, just kidding. It's nice to see older people take part if flight sim community(And I dont mean your old, just older people)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest McFly

I hope I'm not the oldest... I'm 63. But I've got you beat by quite a bit. I was yearning to fly since I was 11 or 12. Less than perfect eye sight kept me from an aviation career in the left seat. A few years ago I took ground school to perhaps start a GA hobby but now my blood pressure is a issue.:-( No one checks my ticket when I step aboard the flight deck in MSFS. I'm always welcome.McFly

Guest KGFL

Actually Saratoga Springs/Gansevoort. Closest strip is Heber, where I play golf at Airway Meadows. I'm KALB on "Airliners.net". I love the old Douglas jet on static display at Fulton County.

Guest paulri

You are not the oldest--I am 70, there are folks older than I am on here also. Been at it since FS95, right after I retired (permanently)in 1997.Oh yeah, started flying in real life in 1959 with the military. Retired from that in 1978, no more flying. Real life, including two kids in college, then made me take up a different line of work. :-)Paul

>I'm curious as to what the age range of my fellow flight>simmers is. I'm 49 years old, and I love doing flight sim. >My wife thinks I'm nuts and a tad obsessed about FS. I've>been nuts about airplanes all my life and flight simming is>way I can indulge my passion for aviation on the cheap.>>Is there anybody out there older than me, or am I the AVSIM>senior citizen?According to the Demographic Survey found here:http://www.avsim.com/poll/stats.php?sid=6&st=a&vw=q12There are at least 47 people over the age of 71...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I started very late at this,only last year in fact,at 58 after we bought a computer and I was looking for things to use it for. Now it's not used for anything else:+ .Lemonadedrinker.

Okay...I don't claim to know much about this hobby, but my head is full of basically useless facts and I tend to be an authority on many things which tend to be equally useless to most people of any sense of good judgement. On this subject, I have happened to do some reasearch and I offer the following, carefully worded as to not offend anyone findings which can be verified somewhere.(I forgot, But I'm pretty sure it can be downloaded here from the library.)In the beginning, somewhere after the earth was created, birds were made. At first they all walked every where they had to go. This was really hard for them since their little legs always got tired and terrain was so hard on their feet that it wore most of the skin away almost to bone,except for ducks, swans, geese, and the like who learned to swim because their feet got hot. then of course you have penguines who learned to walk and swim because they had no legs but were very saphisticated(or however you spell it.)Well, as you can imagine, it took a long time to walk from New York to California, or Canada to Brazil. I also understand that many birds wanted to vacation in Europe or Australia but since walking caused so much foot flesh loss it was very difficult to swim to these places for all of them except the duck types and for those types sharks were a definate issue.When the Creator looked upon these poor creatures and heard their complaints, there was compassion for them. So Man was created to have dominion over them and teach them to fly. It is obvious that this guy did a wonderful job except for the poor penguines who while saphisticated,(forgive my spelling. Although I'm from America where English is the official language, I have heard that to hear it spoken correctly you have to go outside the country.)..Like I was saying...peguines while...er..that word...could not afford flying lessons becuase they were so well dressed.The Creator was so impressed that the man was kept around which is what he did. However, Man soon became tired and frustated of all the fine tales from the birds flying whereever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Man could walk from New york to California but his feet were very tired when he got there. He could swim from New York to Paris, but the water was cold and sharks were still and issue.The Creator looked upon Man and had compassion, so Wilbur and Orville were created. I've seen actual pictures wherein the same man who taught the birds to fly is with the Wright's acting as a consultant to make sure they got it "right". (sorry...I really feel bad for that pun.)As for the picture, I'm almost positive it's in the library and can be downloaded.Okay... All was happy in the world until the Creator started getting complaints from the birds. Seems Man was crowding the sky and becoming a hadzard to navigation. Many of them were very upset after having been sucked through a jet intake. The Creator had to do something about minimizing the congested airspace so all of a sudden Bill Gates got an email. MSFS was born!!!!!The Creator need a way to keep mankind up to speed on MSFS so he created a Forum and gave it a website and gave the man who taught the birds to fly dominion over it. So there you have it. TOM ALLENSWORTH is the oldest. Course, he'll probably deny it. But facts are facts. It' well document somewhere here in the AVSIM library. I downloaded it and read the article which included the pictorial. I can't remember all of them, but there is a picture of Tom in a tree on a limb instructing birds on the proper wing configuation. There is also a picture showing Orville (I think)lying in the plane and Wilbur (I think) running after him. WHO DO YOU THINK STARTED THE ENGINE????I can prove this. I just have to remember what file it was in. But look in the Library for "oldguy.zip" It might not be there now but when I find it I'll post it or the link. You may also wish to check earlier forums. I'm sure you'll find it under the topic "Is anyone out there???? It's a real short thread.Hope this answers your question. If not I'm sure that the 85 year old gent can. 85!!!! Gosh!!!...I love it when people refuse to stop playing and having fun. Gives me hope! Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)

It ain't me at 49. Turning 50 on the 24th of Dec.JimCYWG