Sign in to follow this  
HBelz4

Looking for TWA Final Livery and Red/White Stripes for the 1011

Is anybody working on these? Just curious. I know the gold globe was in the pack but I am really wanting these two (with the frisbee fairing :-) ) If not would someone please be willing to tackle the project?

To all the AeroSim painters,Hank has a good request as TWA was one of the original US operators of the TriStar.Hank, there are a lot of very talented painters on this Forum, so hopefully your request will taken up by one of them.It would be really great to have the entire TWA fleet available for download.Ed

Guest JohnKeane

Here's another idea on the original TWA stripes scheme: Remember the scheme with the Trans World lettering in white inside/red bordering outside? Here's a -100, note the small "dash 100" lettering up front and on the #2 engine duct.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/926324/L/Here's a closeup of that lettering on the tail: "1011 dash 100" http://www.airliners.net/open.file/468569/L/Same scheme on a -1 model, here's the ship that burned up at JFK seen in it:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/904791/L/Now here's a weird variation on the final TW Stripes scheme, anyone remember "Five Star Airlines"? I'm not sure if they were a small outfit or a charter division for TWA. Whomever they were, they had a MAC contract for moving troops to Europe back in the late 80s. I remember working one of the following birdies at McGuire AFB, NJ. Here's one of those, perhaps the same one I worked.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/252101/L/Now we need some Hawaiian L1011s.. I remember working a lot of those too. {Grin}Regards

Thanks all! The Tristar was my favorite, and being from KSTL and as A youngster through my teens I remember flying theses sky palaces with TWA. I had totally forgot about the hollow TRANS WORLD L-1011s too! I remember other planes like the 727 747 and DC-9s...Thanks for thost pics!

Guest JohnKeane

No sweat Hank!I remember TWA very fondly, they were a CLASS ACT in my book. I remember when TWA was changing colors back in the mid-late 1970s into the Stripe scheme. Living just West of NY in Northwestern New Jersey, their commercials were quite noticed in that media market. TW's TV ads showing the L1011's with their ad campaigns were nice. {I remember the "Your going to like us, TWA" theme from the 80s, featuring one of their Tristars flying off into the sky.}Sadly, I only flew them once and but impressed *mightily* by them, on a Tristar at that. Was a TDY to Travis AFB, CA. Flew Continental westbound on an A300 out of EWR, {they lost my luggage for two days}. On the return, it was back to EWR from SFO via STL on a TWA Tristar. No problems whatsoever. A full dinner of Chicken Kiev in Coach? Imagine that today!!. TWA's inflight service was fantastic. Amazing headroom on this plane. Talked a lot with the FA's aloft and on the ground in STL, these folks were dedicated and truly loved their airline so much. That one trip aboard them will remain with me a very fond way of remembering this great carrier. After that trip I checked out a book from my base library in New Jersey on TWA by Robert J. Serling. After reflecting what was written in that and my sole experience on them, TWA's founder Jack Frye should be very proud. Quite a fine bunch of people at that airline. It's too bad they're not around anymore, but at least we get to recreate their vast journeys in Flightsim.I almost became an FA for them in 1986 but some good advice and inner instinct told me not to. It was 1986 during a big FA strike right after Carl Icahn took over. A large replacement drive was underway at a hotel out on Long Island, I walked around, got my application in, sat down for an interview, TWA seemed pleased. Then for a walk out front of the hotel, got talking with some of the veteran TWA FAs on the line out in front of the hotel, after what I was seeing, that I would be one of those replacing veteran folks that had been with them so long; there was no way in Hades I could walk across that picket line and be a scab to those people. I walked out, got in the car and drove back with my father back to New Jersey. A few weeks later joined the US Air Force instead. It seemed that TWA was doomed the moment Carl took over that airline, they were so hard pressed to make any kind of rebound thanks to the hobbling nature of his exit from that carrier. Kind RegardsJohn

Yes John Icahn really killed the airline in the long-run (he's still making headlines today - causing trouble for AOL/Time-Warner now). I lived in STL in the mid to late 1980's, and I can remember the airline was going through all sorts of trouble at that point. They were strapped for cash, and literally "falling apart". I can remember some headlines about parts falling off of planes and landing in Bridgeton Mo. (city where KSTL is located, Saint Louis 'burb.Only had only one flight on one of their Tri-stars though. KSTL-KPHX and return. Was an excellent flight, one of the smoothest I've ever been on. Only real distinctive thing about it was that there was a medical emergency enroute KPHX-KSTL, somewhere over KS/OK. Fortunately, doctor on board, and person stabilized, no side-trips into KMCI.BestBill