Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

What would you say is the best GPS for FS2002?

I'd vote for the Garmin 530XP from www.reality-xp.com - Trip

Two companies have now written FS2002 "wrappers" around Garmin's PC-based stand-alone simulator for their GNS series of GPS receivers - RealityXP and Flight1 (the latter being part of their new Meridian payware aircraft, but I think it is or will be available separately). Both are share/payware - all freeware GPS's for FS are, as far as I have seen, based on the FS2002 GPS - which is sorta kinda like a real-world GPS in that you can plot a course for an airport or navaid and go there, but it doesn't really correspond to any real unit in many ways. (Note that RealityXP offers another reasonably accurate emulation of a real GPS, via their UPS/Apollo "stack". That GPS unit is VFR-only (i.e. no IFR enroute/terminal/approach capability), and was custom-written by Reality XP, as opposed to being based on some kind of emulator by the mfr. of the real-world unit.)So, in this case - as in a lot of other FS2002 addons in my opinion - you get what you pay for. As a real-world pilot, I had been dreaming of the ability to have a simulated version of a real GPS receiver in FS2002. Reality XP solved that by encapsulating Garmin's own GNS simulator (intended for real-world pilots, so that they can familiarize themselves with the units' operations without having to actually sit in an expensive airplane) into an FS2002-compatible "plug-in". Flight1 has copied RealityXP's idea, but has taken a different approach by making the Garmin receivers behave more like a "traditional" FS2002 gauge item. Right now I have only the Reality XP product, and have been very happy with its performance - once they had two or three weeks after initial release to patch some fairly serious bugs.The end result is that, after using either of these GNS emulators, you would probably be able to sit down in a real airplane equipped with a Garmin GNS receiver (or two) and be quite proficient in operating them. To me, that is worth some bucks.That said, Microsoft will apparently have a similar emulator built into the just-announced Century of Flight version of Flight Simulator... Not good for RealityXP or Flight1, but great for Garmin! (Garmin's gotta be real happy with these turns of events.)Dave BlevinsKRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

The version in the Meridian IS the RealityXP unit (with maybe some restrictions so it won't work standalone, I don't know).The other company is FSAvionics (http://www.fsavionics.com).

Dave, no offense, but you got some wires crossed here I think.There ARE two companies that have developed a FS-implementation based on the Garmin 530 trainer, and they are FSAvionics and Reality XP-Flight1 is in fact using the Reality XP version in their Meridian. FSAvionics were first with their version, and they are currently working on extra functionality such as weather overlays. I don't know if Reality XP are going to do this. FSAvionics also have a Flightmax unit.So, both the Reality XP and Flight1 versions are in a 'gauge' wrapper, allowing use in panel and VC, and the FSAvionics is a module that runs in its own window. The advantage of the Flight1 Meridian version is that it is well integrated with the AP and other avionics in that plane.Dreamfleet intend to put a Garmin 530 in their Cessna 310, but no further details are known at this moment.

Thanks GuysHow about FMS. What do you think is the best FMS around that I can put in all MSFS 2002 airliners. I have the Dream Fleet 737 but I don't know how to make it work using any other airliner than the 737.Thanks for your replies.Ed

Since FMS are very closely coupled with the systems of the aircraft they're designed for, no stand-alone FMS units are available. The ones that are available, only come integrated with a particular aircraft, such as your DF 737.

Martin,All I can say is, "doh!"... I sure got my brands screwed up in my post - you are entirely correct. I apologize especially to the FSAvionics folks, who originated the idea of creating a product like FSGarmin.(That's what happens when a fella posts after cocktail hour.)I'll add only that FSA is working on better autopilot integration...red-faced,Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest gasebah

Clear and simple:The Reality-XP Garmin GNS530.BTW I have both versions the FSAvionics and the Reality XP version.IMHO the RXP is a much more matured product.Alex