Sign in to follow this  
byork

ATR Final Features List

Hello everyone, Here is a list of the features the new ATR edition of FS2Crew incorporates (links to a demo video are also available in the forum).The goal of FS2Crew is to simulate the complete airline pilot experience from the Captain's perspective from the moment he steps on the plane to the second he heads for the hotel. FS2Crew is a lot more than just a checklist program or a simple cockpit ambiance program, but rather an attempt to model complex multi-crew interaction in an airline environment. Following in the tradition of the PMDG 737 version of FS2Crew, the ATR Edition of FS2Crew is meant to be a serious simulation.Everything was custom programmed from scratch to be "ATR Specific".1. Seamless integration with the Flight1 ATR. This is by far the biggest feature in the new ATR edition. With the assistance of the Flight1 ATR development team, I was able to integrate FS2Crew directly into the ATR. Every switch can be read and controlled without using the simulated mouse clicks method that was pioneered in the 737 version.This feature alone is huge; it really opens things up. I can't stress that enough. The problem with complex 3rd party aircraft like the ATR is that it's virtually impossible for other programs to properly interface with them.But given the cooperation between Flight1 and FS2Crew, that's no longer an issue.2. Interactive First Officer. The FO in the ATR edition of FS2Crew is modeled on a real-world European airline's SOPs. Pretty well the exact same flows, memory items, callouts, procedures, etc., that the FO performs in the real-world at this one airline are modeled. The FO will even fill out the Takeoff and Landing Data card (see the other Beta Screenshots threads for a picture).The "role-play" between the Capt and FO, PF and PNF, on an ATR is fairly intricate and complex, and we think you will be very impressed with the way FS2Crew allows you to re-create that "role play".3. An international perspective. FS2Crew recognizes that a very large percentage of simmers are not American, and to that end the ATR edition of FS2Crew makes allowances for non-US based customers. For example, when flying outside the US or Canada, the altimeters are read back using millibars, kilograms are used instead of pounds, flashlights are referred to as torches and when passing 10,000 feet the PF will say "Flight Level 100" instead of "10,000 feet". FS2Crew determines your location automatically. The amount of time required to configure FS2Crew is "Zero". Also see: Regional Accents for the Ground Crew. 3. Interactive F/A. The FA performs her duties just as she would on the real plane. FS2Crew even modeled the "Intercom Test" that the FA and Capt perform at the beginning of each flight. Also, the FA will now actually bring you your coffee (In the PMDG 737 version she said she would, but she'd never deliver).4. Cabin Announcements. This is a new feature. The cabin announcements do not play automatically though. You have to make the appropriate selection on the ATR's Audio Panel in order to hear them. What you are essentially doing is monitoring them over the cockpit speakers. You may want to monitor the FA's announcements so you do not make a PA announcement while she is speaking. As a side note, you can even hear the cabin music from the cockpit via the cockpit speakers; FS2Crew models that too.5. Maintenance. There is a chance during his walk around that the FO will spot a snag with the plane. To that end, you'll have to radio Maintenance and have a mechanic sent over to look at the plane. (You'll actually need to dial Maintenance's freq in COMM 2 to make the call).6. Operation Center. Radio calls to the Operations Center are modeled. As per the procedure at the airline whose procedures I am modeling, you will need to radio Ops by dialing their frequency in COMM 2 to let them know that the crew is a board, you're ready to start the boarding.A neat feature is that when you call in your block off time and your ETA (about 30 min prior to landing), you will actually read back actual times; the times are not generic.6. Regional Voice sets for the Ground Crew positions. So far FS2Crew has voices for 14 countries, and I hope to add more to the list before release. There is a separate thread in the forum covering regional voices.7. A new interface system. You can now run the Checklists, make Radio Calls to Operations or Maintenance and respond using Joystick Buttons or your Keyboard. No more mouse piano!8. Professional voice acting. The FA's voice is that of a real-world FA, the Captain's voice is that of a real-world 747 Captain and the FO voice is that of a real-world DC-9 Captain.9. Squawk box integration. In keeping with the theme of "seamless integration" FS2Crew checks to see if Squawkbox is running. This affects a few calls.10. Sound innovations. A new way of working with sound was developed that works to prevent you and the FO from talking over each other at the same time. It's not perfect, but it works fairly well.11. Captain PA announcements. Self explanatory.12. General improvements to the ATR. FS2Crew modifies the ATR so that when starting in a cold and dark cockpit the Prop Brake will be on and the CRTs will be off. Other enhancements are made. For example, FS2Crew added an Oxygen test panel to the ATR.13. SID/STAR and IAP briefs. As with the PMDG 737 version of FS2Crew, a range of briefs will be included for various airports around the world. Some generic briefs will also be included.14. A lot of people found the learning curve on the PMDG 737 version of FS2Crew to be very steep. To that end, I've improved the manuals to help get you up and running in the shortest time possible.That said, my personal feeling is that the new ATR version is easier to use than the PMDG 737 version (owing mainly to the new interface method, among other things). But remember, FS2Crew is trying to model the way it's done in the real-world as close as possible. When real-world ATR pilots are learning the "role-play" so to speak, they don't master it the first time! It takes them a while too! That's why they spend weeks in ground-school!Status as of 1 September 2004: Right now I'm doing pretty well all the testing. When the release candidate is ready, I'll send the beta out to the Beta Team. FS2Crew will require SP3 for the ATR from Flight1; that has not been released yet. Hopefully soon.If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.All the best,Bryan YorkFS2Crew

Guest bigun

Thanks Bryan,Truly looking forward to this release. It's really great to see this level of cooperation between you and Flight1. It surely opens up some opportunities that simply would not be available without this type of relationship with a first class outfit like Flight1.Thanks to both of you.

Man, that is a lot of new feature Bryan ! Really impressive !I would love here all this features on the PMDG 737, it is very frutrating !Anyway good job !

Guest xavierbelgium

I am so impatient Bryan, what an achievment. Simulation will never look the same again..... great job. Can't wait to beta test it.Just had a flight from gibraltar to madeira with the ATR... I know it s gonna change a lot of thinbgs with the FS2crew... Thanks for doing all of this...Keep in mind the 747 's version... :)

Guest xavierbelgium

could you tell us a little bit more about skawbox integration..and for the maintenance call is a great idea...

The squawkbox integration is fairly simple.The the 737 version had basically the same thing, the only thing is that you had to "manually" make a selection on the Config Page (On ATC On/Off). With the ATR version everything is automatic.Basically if you're not using Squawkbox, the FO will radio ATC asking for start clearance.If, however, you are using Squawkbox, the FO will not do this because that would be a call you have to make yourself to the VATSIM ATC unit.Cheers,Bryan

Guest kdundon

Sounds really good to me. Looking forward to giving it a go. I like the changes you have made. This should really take realism to a higher level.

Guest xavierbelgium

Bryan you said SP3 was needed for installing FS2crew..I was wondering why exactly... (what feature from sp3 will fs2crew use)but anyways, you were hoping for it to be available in order to release FS2crew but it's available as beta... I am sure nobody won't mind installing the beta SP3... (i did not do that yet but it's downloaded though)...also can we have an update on status (septemeber 6th). College starts on the 19th here and I was hoping to do the beta test thing before that since I have plenty of time...that being said, take your time (heyhey, I wonder if they'll change the review of the ATr on avsim.com... you know what I mean, the only "con" of the plane lol; I am sure you know what I mean...

Howdy,FS2Crew integrates directly as you know with the ATR, and I'd rather have the users work with a final SP3 than have to play the beta game. Flight1 had to make changes to their ATR code so it could integrate with FS2Crew.I'm in no rush to release the ATR. It won't be released until I'm confident that it's perfect.Rushing a release only results in tech support headaches, and as we all know the flightsim crowd can be pretty vocal if things aren't exactly right!!! So I'd rather save myself the stress and make sure that everything is perfect before releasing.There probably won't be much to beta testing. What you'll receive will be more of a release candidate.As for a time: I can't say. It's out of my hands. Hopefully soon.Cheers,Bryan

Guest xavierbelgium

Bryan, thanks for the fast answer.I am just too excited... you know how it is to wait for something you are willing to have like a kid (a 23 years old kid).That being said, do take as long as it takes, I am in no hurry myself (once again, just excited) and I have no doubt the product will be worth the wait. I know the community can "get upset" if everything is not perfect at first so it's a good point.My question was more to know wether the product is to be released within weeks or more than a month.Take your time...(did u get what I was refering to when talking about the avsim review of the ATR)

September 24th, 2005:Update:In case you're wondering what's happening with the development of the ATR version...At this point I'm mainly just tightening screws and trying to find ways to make the program even more robust. As it stands right now the ATR version is very, very solid; it's less finicky so to speak than the 737 version, so it's MUCH harder for you to confuse your poor FO and the program overall.The FO will also watch you very closely and if you drop the ball, he WILL let you know about it!As mentioned previously, I cannot release the ATR version until Flight1 releases SP3 for the ATR.Please do not bug them to release it faster!The ATR version will be ready when it's ready.Regards,Bryan

Guest xavierbelgium

Thanks for letting us know about the status.Take your time

Guest Lobaeux

Bryan,Great to see work on the ATR is progressing, it all sounds fantastic. Sorry I haven't emailed you lately, was away at instructor pilot school, and didn't have reliable internet capabality. Can't wait for the release of the ATR version.Joe G.Lobaeux