Sign in to follow this  
byork

Beta Screen Shots of Flight1 ATR version of FS2Crew

24 May 2005:Here's another thing you probably haven't seen before.This callout may be unique to this company whose procedures I'm modelling:During landing, the FO will announce the pitch attitude during the Flare so as to avoid a tail strike:"Plus 0... Plus 1... Plus 2... Plus 3... Plus 4"FS2Crew for the ATR models this of course.Another new thing that may interest you is the Takeoff Procedure.The Takeoff Procedure is rather unique on the ATR, owing to its high C of G, narrow under carriage and lack of linkage between the rudder and nose wheel steering.Assuming the Capt is also the PF:The FO will hold the control column full forward and gradually unload the nose wheel as the speed increases during the initial takeoff roll. He will also deflect the ailerons into the wind.At 70 knots, the FO will announce "70 Knots, your control".At this point the Capt takes control of the Control Column:"My Controls".It's just a very unique thing I thought you all might be interested in.The same thing happens during the landing roll, except that the Capt will call "Wings Level."This is all very fun to model and I hope you enjoy it when it's released. I'm sure having fun putting it together!Cheers,Bryan

>This is all very fun to model and I hope you enjoy it when>it's released. I'm sure having fun putting it together!All great news Bryan. Seems to be very much fun as you have given the community more updates about the features than any other author I can think of have given about their future releases ;-)It must be truly rewarding to create a program like this when you can access all the different variables and offsets of the plane. Hope you still have enthusiasm to start with the LVLD 767 - I'm sure it has even more potential, and if possible be even more fun!

The Level D 767 is definately on the to do list.But Turbo Props are very fun and challenging, too, and are really good for short flights were you don't want to spend 6 hours in front of your computer. Hence, the ATR version!Cheers,Bryan

Here's another unique innovation that FS2Crew for the ATR incorporates:A common problem with flight deck ambiance type programs is that it's very possible to have the FO or Capt talking over themselves if multiple conditions are met at the same time that trigger different callouts.This naturally doesn't sound very good. You could for example have the FO call "1000 above" and be reading a checklist item at the exact same time.So a very clever method was devised to prevent this thing from happening.Now, no matter what, the FO or Capt will never talk over themselves.This really adds to the realism and the effect.Bryan

Guest Paul Middleton

When I wrote the AVSIM review of the Flight1 ATR I penned the following"I only had one regret when flying the ATR. It doesn't have a version of Bryan York's FS2Crew. Fs2Crew would suit it very well, because of the complexity of its full procedures, and having a virtual copilot would take some of the stress out of periods of heavy workload. This is a (not so subtle) hint for you, Bryan!"It's great to see you taking this on, Bryan, and like many others I'm waiting with my finger poised to click "Download"!

Thanks Paul,You'll be happy to note that the FO in the ATR version has gotten a lot smarter, since he can now read every switch on the ATR to check their actual position.I hope you or Maury will be able to review the ATR version once it's released.Cheers,Bryan

Guest Paul Middleton

>I hope you or Maury will be able to review the ATR version>once it's released.I'm sure that can be arranged...

May 30, 2005Made a slight change to the code today:During the taxi in, you now have the option of asking the FO to feather and then shut down #1:"Number 1 Feather, After Landing Checklist"When one minute has elapsed the FO will call "One Minute".Then you as Captain can say: "Fuel Shutoff, bleed off," and the FO will then do that.However, if the taxiways are slipperly, you obviously don't want to do this, so you have the option to leave both engines on and the dialogue is modified accordingly.As for taxiing with 1 engine running, I've found that you can do it in the Flight1 ATR... it takes a little bit of practise and is a bit wobbly and you'll need to add some extra power.I find it's best to time it though so the FO calls "One Minute" right before you reach the gate.Cheers,Bryan

HiWill this new fs2crew be more automated than the pmdg version? Saying that, the NFP will do things after a certain speed/height?Have you set a price yet?thanks :D

Hello Flyer boy,The ATR version of FS2Crew is a lot more automated to the extent that pretty well everything can be read directly out of the plane, which means I can a lot more things that I previously couldn't do.I can't stress enough how much this singular feature really changes things.If you own the PMDG 737 version of FS2Crew, you will need to change your thinking once again because ATR version is quite different in terms of how you interact with the sim. In my opinion it's much easier. No more mouse piano. Like with the PMDG version, the PNF performs pretty well exactly as he would in the real world using real-world company specific procedures.He does not do anything that he wouldn't do in the "real world" so to speak.So if you're hoping that he's going to retract flaps automatically passing a certain altitude, he won't do that because he doesn't do that in the real world. You will need to command him to position the flaps.As for pricing, I have not set the price yet, but it will be fair and reasonable.All the best,Bryan

June 1stWorked on the manuals today.I've got a lot of response from people who want to help translate the manuals into their native tongue which is really, really good. I also added a new graphic for the Time to Depature timer. The time left is now displayed on a toggable picture of a Citizen's watch (in fact, it's the exact same watch I have :-)You'll also be happy to note that the Time Remaining to Departure can be adjusted so you don't need to sit around for 30 minutes, which is the default Time to Departure.Now, you can sit for 30 minutes if you like if you want the ultra realism I suppose, but if you don't want to do that, then you can quickly bring the Time Remaining timer down to zero if you're in a rush and you want to get going.Cheers,Bryan

June 3rd, 2005Still plugging away on the manuals.Instead of there being 11 different manuals like there was for the PMDG 737 version, I've condensed everything down into one big manual.The manual is also a lot more efficient, and my hope is that it will get you up to speed quicker so you can spend more time flying and less time reading.The bulk of the manual consists of the Tutorial Flight, which explains everything down to the last detail.It's important to note that the "Role Play" between the Captain and the FO in the ATR version is more complex and intricate than the role-play in the 737 version of FS2Crew.It's a lot more complex than just simply reading back a checklist. There are memory items, flows, read-and-do items, all mixed into the various checklists, so it adds to the complexity, which I know many of you can't get enough of.It's like the airline whose procedures I'm modelling really wants to make their pilots sweat!Bryan

June 5th,Made a little change to the code.For events that relied on timing (ie., when the FA would come talk to you during cruise), in the PMDG 737 version of FS2Crew I used a timer that read your computer's time, not FS2004 time.As a result, even if you paused the sim, the timer kept on ticking.In the ATR version, I'm using variable that reads FS2004 time, so now if you pause the sim or go up to Sim Rate X2 or X4 or whatever, timing won't be an issue.FS2Crew was my first FS2004 program, so naturally I've learned a TON since creating the PMDG version. Also, to let you know given that that the ATR is typically used for very short hops, I've programmed the FA so she will only come ask if you want coffee/or tea if the time to the TOD from the moment you start the cruise portion of your flight is greater than 30 minues.However, if want your coffee or tea right away, then you can press the ATTD button the ATR's overhead. The FA will call you up a few seconds later, and the FA Dialogue Panel will pop up on the screen.She will then bring you your coffe and tea, and you will see a nice picture of a drink on your screen. Jane finally brings the goods home!Cheers,Bryan

The ATR is nearing completion.Unlike the PMDG 737 version, the ATR version does not need to use simulated mouse clicks to get the FO press all the buttons and flip the right switches, so no more mini panels.It's looking good!Bryan