Sign in to follow this  
Bernhard777

Still not sure

Hello,after reading through the manual and hearing all those opinions here, I'm still not sure about buying this product. So I need some more hints from you.Studying the manual it seems to me that this program is a real click-o-mania. There are so much main, secondary buttons, hidden click spots, that I fear, I will be totaly confused when flying the airplane.Is it really fun to fly this airplane with so much more clicking and pressing buttons? It seems that whenever I press a wrong button at the wrong time I have to restart from the very start.Someone said, he needs a special checklist just for managing this program. That's what I thought also after reading the manual.It's said, that one needs 5 attempts to manage a flight without severe faults. But ok......after 8 attempts I will make a perfect flight. But after 1 month of not using the ATR I fear, I have to begin from the very start, coz of forgetting all of those special procedures used here.So is my fear real or will one manage the ATR with fs2crew after some time without any problem?Finally one question: there is no pushback procedure. Will the ATR never be pushbacked in reality?ThanksBernhard Scharbert

I will tell you the Truth BernhardThat is right that FS2Crew is a little hard at the first and that is why the manual is so well explained. Each small details are totally detailled in order to help you out in this big task: flying an ATR as you were a real pilot !But I have to admit that I had the same feeling as you when I first bought the 737 FS2Crew, I spent a little time to understand it but after that and thanks to the manual, after flying with FS2Crew I can assure you that I won't be able to fly without it on my 737 and my ATR anymore!You will will see...You will get reflexes and you will notice that the program is totally comprehensive and very effective.You won't have to understand and search every hidden button, you will get used to it, as I am...I can trully said that you will clearly enjoy flying as a real pilot because that is what FS2Crew is trying to tend us to.If you like great experience don't afraid to buy it. I don't want to say it but as a simflight reviewer I can trully said that FS2Crew is a real must have !Trust me...

Bernard,All very valid questions - and ones I asked myself at various points. To set your mind at rest a bit on the subject of it being a 'clickfest', I guess it depends on how you intend to activate the primary and secondary buttons. If you have a joystick or yoke and can free up a couple of buttons then the process is extremely intuitive. For example, the whole take-off sequence once the throttles are in the notch right up until after the climb checklist is accomplishd without touching the mouse. There's lots of button presses, but as these are under your thumb anyway, there are not at all intrusive.Like you, I was a bit rusty with the ATR when I started testing it, but actually because FS2Crew forces you to use the right methods, it actually teaches you to use the ATR properly.I tell you, it is a real addiction. It's very difficult to go back to other aircraft once you've worked out the ATR with this product. I also wondered about the lack of a pushback but in reality I doubt many regional turbo props do this - they simply park with enough of a turning circle to move off the bay. Works for me, anyway.Cheers,

Guest bigun

Hello Bernhard,Yup, as the others have said, I was the way with the 737 version. In fact, after I purchased it, I became so frustrated the first couple of times that I almost deleted it off the hard drive:-hang After about three or four attempts though it became very fluid and the process was "natural" to me. It adds a level of realism that is really hard to describe. The ATR version is MUCH better as far as flow and processes involved IMHO. Although I do, at times fly the PMDG737 without FS2Crew, I doubt that I will ever fly the ATR without it because it is just that good!

'Someone said, he needs a special checklist just for managing this program'That may have been me. Actually, I'd like to explain further.As you have seen, the manual is very comprehensive, and each action is explained thoroughly, and includes designer's notes as well, which is great and interesting to read. I enjoyed reading it, since it really tells you why things are the way they are; but when it comes to working through the tutorial, you have to hunt through the explanations to find the exact things you have to do, a bit like starting the engines and referring to the engineers'manuals instead of using a pilot's checklist.That is why I'm compiling an abreviated version of my own-another way would be to highlight the appropriate sections in the manual with a marker pen. Also, Bryan has already indicated that a condensed version will be published too.I expect this will only be needed while learning the program though. The act of writing it down helps in the learning process too.After having gone through all the procedures a few times, this will have become second nature as you will be responding to the other crewmembers in a standardized way (mainly using your assigned buttons). And, as Andy said:"actually because FS2Crew forces you to use the right methods, it actually teaches you to use the ATR properly."That is the main reason for me buying FS2Crew.On the one hand, you will be doing a bit more, as more aspects of real operations are being simulated, on the other hand you will be doing less, since your FO will do many things that you had to do yourself before...So, instead of 'clicking' more, you may even end up clicking less, or at the very least, get more 'simulation' for the same number of clicks!Best,Martijn

Hello Bernhard,I'm not sure how many people have discovered it yet as it's kinda buried deep in the manual, but there is an option to for "automatic takeoff calls."It makes things a little easier as during the busy takeoff and initial climb you won't need to press any buttons. Your calls will be generated automatically.All the best,Bryan

Ummm, I'm going to be an iconoclast here....If you are ALREADY into complex aircraft like the PMDG 737 and the Flight 1 ATR, I think FSCrew makes it EASIER to get maximum satisfaction out of these products, largely because you have a First Officer who knows what all those #### buttons do!But he is going to complain if you can't hold your end up.If you aren't yet into those kinds of complex planes yet, well maybe one learning curve at a time is enough....

ngxu_banner.png