Sign in to follow this  
MSW

VNAV Problem

I thought that this forum could help me with this.I'm flying from KABQ to KPHX using the LARGO2 with ZUN transition departure and the BUNTR ONE with ZUN transition arrival with all discontinuities fixed. I've entered all required PERF INIT information and the VNAV DESCENT page has calculated a dtg for TOD. The PROG page shows an eta and dtg for the TOC but when I get within 200 nm of the destination at cruise altitude the PROG page will not display the eta and dtg for the TOD even though the VNAV DESCENT page still shows a dtg for TOD. The LEGS page shows proper altitude restrictions which make sense. Everything looks good except the PROG page is not showing the info for the TOD. This is affecting FS2Crew such as informing the FA about the time to descent. It seems to happen on other routes as well.Am I doing something wrong or what? I've looked in the ATR manual but it is not very good. Please help. Thanks!

Hi, The ATR's FMS is not really a FS2Crew issue, but I'll give it a go.As mentioned before, the ATR FMS can sometimes have a mind of its own. It generally works extremely well, but it does have the odd gremlin.Are you by chance trying to skip waypoints enroute and go direct to a waypoint(particularily to a waypoint on a STAR)?I know that can sometimes confuse the FMS resulting in the TOD point getting jumbled up.Bryan

On that particular route the LARGO2 departure route and the BUNTR ONE arrival have a common transition which is ZUN so all I am entering into the FMC is the SID and STAR. I fly this route all the time with other aircraft FMCs with no problems such as the PMDG 737 & 747, LD 767 and Feel There's ERJ 145. I will try another route today to see if this still happens.

Well I tried from KABQ to KSLC which is a longer route. I entered a SID and a STAR with other waypoints in between. Once again the VNAV DECENT page calculated a dtg for the TOD. The eta and dtg for TOC was again posted on the PROG page but when I got within 200nm of the destination (as described by the ATR Orientation manual) the eta and dtg for the TOD did not come up. So the same problem exists. Any suggestions?By the way I have the same post over at the ATR Forum but no body will answer. That is why I thought someone here could. At least you are willing to try and I appreciate that. Thanks!

Right now I've just been flying without FS2Crew to get the FMC problem figured out.I just did a flight from KPHX to KPSP without any SID or STAR. The VNAV DECENT page is doing everything right. It determines the dtg to TOD and after reaching TOD it determines the vert trk error and required decent rate. The decent glide slope indicator also shows on the attitude indicator. Whats not working is the FMC PROG page. It will not show the eta and dtg for TOD nor will it show the vert trk error on PROG page 2.

But when I try to tell the FA the time to TOD nothing happens when I push the DESC button. I attributed that to the fact that the eta to TOD is not being displayed on the PROG page. It is not supposed to be displayed on the VNAV DESCENT page, only dtg. I have yet to get the DESC button to work to inform the FA of the time to TOD.

I see, please run the FS2Crew tutorial flight so we have a common reference.FS2Crew reads a variable in the ATR's FMC that returns time (in minutes) to the TOD, so even though for whatever reason a TOD point is not displayed on the Progress Page, FS2Crew can still read it assuming a TOD point is still displayed on the VNAV Descent Page.Again, please run the tutorial flight so we have a common reference.Make sure all Route Discontinuties are clear.Cheers,Bryan

Ok, I found the problem. The FA descent announcement was not tied to the PROG page failure to show eta and dtg for TOD. It was probably because I did the FA intercom process wrong. For the final check I was just hitting the green response key and not using the int on the radio panel and using the PA Test key. Once I did that and probably something else I corrected without knowing it, the FA Descent worked even though the PROG page was still not showing the eta and dtg for TOD.I wish this program was a little more forgiving when you make little screw ups. But I understand why it isn't.Thanks for all of your help. I will still try to get some help at Flight1 ATR forum concerning the PROG page. It appears to be a bug to me.I'm enjoying your program. Its one heck of a learning curve though. But once I get it it will be easy like it was learning the FS2Crew 737 PMDG.

Hi,I'm glad to hear you got it figured out.The learning curve is steep as I've mentioned, but once you know what you're doing it is very easy. It's just getting over that initial hump.The TOD point on the Prog Page could very well be a simple display issue with the ATR's FMS. I'll ask Hans about it again next time I talk to him.Glad to hear you're enjoying the product :-)Bryan