Sign in to follow this  
stefltt

Non precision approaches

Hi,I've read the manual several times, but the little section about non precision approaches is not clear to me ! Each time, I click on the wrong button at the wrong moment !Is it possible to write a detailed tutorial (from approach check list until touch down) for a VOR DME Approach ? This tutorial should contain the exact sequence of mouse click (when do I click on airspeed indicator, when for Main button and when for second button).Thanks for your help on this wonderful product.Stephane

vpa055.png

Hello Stephane,Thanks for the kinds words.It just takes practise I'm afraid. Hmmm, I don't know what more I can add to the manual to make it more clear.I'll see if I can somehow expand on the Non Precision stuff.If anyone here wants to write a little tutorial on Non Prec approaches, feel free to write one up and upload it.All the best,Bryan

Ok, i've just performed a VOR DME approach in Hyderabad VOHY India, not 100% perfect but almost works good ! Here what I did :The following actions have been made prior passing the FAF which is 5 DME before HHY VOR on radial 096 inbound.Passing 6000ft, the flight attendant called me for cabin ready, click green button for ok.Then performed approach check list.Passed the VOR at 4600ft, entering the holding pattern.When on the outbound leg, descending to 3300ft on 276 heading, reducing to 160kt.click main button one time, then again main button commanding flaps 15 and gear down. The FO does the action and announced flap 15 and gear down. second button to say checked.Main button to command inner at 140Kt. reducing speed.Main button to command flaps 30.second button saying check. reducing speed to 120KT.turning back to the inbound leg.Performing the final checklist with the main button.When the VOR comes alive. Click on the Airspeed indicator saying VOR Alive (or something like that, don't remember well)Now passing the FAF, descending to the MDA with V/S.When runway in sight, autopilot off, announce, then click the center airspeed saying "contact landing". 1000ft stabilized. second button.500ft stabilized. main button. Continue except APC Fault.One thing I didn't do correctly is the setting of the MDA/MDH.The airport elevation is 1741FT, the MDA is 2380FT, the MDH is 683FT.How do I set the RA red bug and the DH bug ????Stephane

vpa055.png

Hello Stephane,Pls take a look a Pages 69, 84 and 85 in the FS2Crew ATR Manual for extra info on Non Prec Approaches.For this approach, you don't to set the RA DH. There would be no point.Set the Alt Bug to 380 feet and create an additive of plus 1000 feet on the App Brief Page.Cheers,Bryan

I've noticed that during the descent checks, the captain will still nag about the radar decision height even if you've briefed for a non-precision or visual approach. I wonder if anything can be done about that small detail..

In the manual, for non precision approach, in the part "omitted calls", it says :In a CAT I ILS Approach, the 3rd Main button press produces the "Set Go Around call". During a NPA, however this call is omitted as its function is embedded int he Autopilot Disconnect Call. Accordingly, the 3rd Main Button press during a NPA produces the "FLAPS 15, Gear Down Call".But what about the first and second Main button Press. Whaht should we hear when pressing the main button for the first and second time in a NPA ? LOCALIZER ALIVE ? LOC STAR, RUNWAY HEADING DUAL ILS ? Makes no sense as it is not an ILS approach !St

vpa055.png

Hello Stepahane,The answer is on Page 83 in the manual.There is a hidden click spot on the Aispeed Indicator that will produce the correct call for a Non-Prec approach such "Course Alive" or "5 Degrees".Make sure you've selected the correct Non-Prec type on the Approach Page as FS2Crew needs to be in the appropriate approach mode for these calls to work.All the best,Bryan

ok. Airspeed indicator produces the Course Alive call.So, "the 3rd Main Button" in an ILS approach becomes "the first press on main button" in the NP approach ? producing the "FLAPS 15, Gear Down Call". If so, you should not named it third main button in the manual part for NPA, as it is a bit confused, I think. ;)It should be : First Main button press after a click on the airspeed indicator produces the "FLAPS 15, Gear Down Call". OOoohhh My head hurts !Stephane

vpa055.png