Sign in to follow this  
Guest teetee

I think this is not normal......

Hello everyone, I am in need of your expert advice.I have recently upgraded my system and got the following spec:P4 2.4 GHz512 MB DDR RAM (266MHz)GF4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 4x40GB Hard drive (7200rpm)Asus P4S533-E MotherboardOnboard sound controller (C-Media)Windows XP Home EditionMy problem is that I think my system is not performing well in FS2002.I got a score around 10200 in 3dMark 2001SE, which I think is appropriate for this system.I got my airplane (default C172) to Meigs, runway 36. Switched to spot view and looked towards downtown chicago. I have framerates set to unlimited for testing purposes. Antialiasing 2x, no Anisotropic filtering, trilinear filtering on, 1024x768x32, scenery and autogen sliders at very dense (not extremely dense). ATC was set at 40%.In this situation I got framerates around 30fps. I think this is too low for my system. It should perform better in my opinion. I see folks around here with specs close to mine and they can go to greater resolutions, add Project AI traffic and add-on scenery and fly detailed airplanes with reasonable framerates....I CAN'T! I would love to use SimFlyers Airports, but they reduce my framerated to around 12-15 fps in cockpit view.What do you think? PLEASE do not ask me to reinstall Windows XP....I just installed it..(but if it is necessary, I will do so).______________________________________________Lu

Guest Lindy

My two cents is that your system seems to be fine. I have a similar setup (P4 2.4gHz, 512 mg DDR RAM, but my video card isn't as good). Given the settings you mentioned, 30 fps sounds great! Why don't you try locking your frame rates at 20fps.... that will give you smooth performance and will allow the CPU to devote some resources to handle other things, such as all those addons you mentioned. If however all you're really interested in is high frame rates, then I really don't have any suggestions. Maybe someone more computer savvy will be able to help out.Good luck.-Lindy :-wave

Hi Luis,I think Lindy is absolutely right.i have same specs, although as Lindy I own only a GeFrorce 3 ti200.With, for instance, PSS A320, one of the most demanding acft, all PAI installed on LFPG for instance, all display settingsto max, I dont get more than 11-14 fps.This, is normal.On the other hand, with regular scene, even with Lago Terra Mash,the fps would climb without any problem to 25fps, which isI tell you fait enough.20fps provides smooth sim enough.I sware you do not need more than that to sim joyfully.As Lindy said, the more fps you ask, the more your cpu will belong in responding to basic commands.You shouldnt set the fps target to more than 25 fps,this is whait is recommended for fastest machines.regards,Arnie.

Just for giggles, I set my FS2K2 to the settings you describe for Meigs to see how my rig, which is similar to yours, compares. I'm assuming that every other slider was set to max and checkboxes enabled, except for leaving the terrain mesh setting at 80.My rig is:P4 2.4 GHz512 MB DDR RAM (333MHz normally, 266MHz for test purposes)GF3 64MB 4x @ 1024x768x3260GB Hard drive (7200rpm)Asus P4PE MotherboardOnboard sound controller (C-Media)Windows XP ProfessionalAnd the framerates I got were ....... 30fps average! I think your machine is running just fine.GaryPS: I found turning AA off significantly increases my fps in dense scenery areas. My next planned purchase is an ATI 9500/9700 which, I am lead to believe, provides fps penalty-free AA and ansio in FS2K2 and hopefully FS9 when it comes out. BTW the same frame rate test setup above, sans AA, gives me 40fps - a nice 33% boost, and what I hope to achieve with an ATI card with AA at 4x +.

Guest teetee

i tried the test; at noon no weather 21-23 fps asus a7v8x133 fsb maxtor 40hdd@7200gf 4 440 ddr 64mb agp4768 ddr with limit set to 25fps added max autogen traffic 85 weather [ocast] got 18-21. his seems ok to me too. tt

Guest teetee

....oh yeah.. all normal progs were running, including UD . tt