Sign in to follow this  
wulfgar

crash to desktop without any errors

Hi,I have just installed FS2crew for the ATR.I really like this product which combined with a TrackIR device in the VC makes you feel like a real captain.I used the ATR for 4 hours yesterday making three flights in a row1)TBPB-TFFF2)TFFF-TFFR3)TFFR-TBPBEverything went fine in the chain of event but at the last moment,5 minutes before my final landing.FS quit without errors,no "send error report",nothing.Just back to desktop.Really frustrating because you can not reload a saved situation (I use auto-save option from JC oliveira). You should foresee a patch in the future to be able to save situations.I can accept crashes if I can reload where I was 2 or three minutes ago.This doesn't happen with the ATR without FS2Crew.can you help me on this?regardsYves Lefevre

Hello Yves,Auto-saving in flight is very complex because you're dealing with a million variables. Later versions of FS2Crew like the 767 and 747 Edition use a different system and allow to you pick up in flight, but even still all your selections, etc, aren't saved.It's an abstract point though tbe ATR aircraft itself does not save switch positions, the state of the FMC, etc. Your crash: I don't know. You did 3 flights in a row and on the last one you got a CTD. That's tough to say. It could be a million things. I would need something I can consistenly reproduce before I could even begin to look at it.-Bryan

>Hello Yves,>>Auto-saving in flight is very complex because you're dealing>with a million variables. Later versions of FS2Crew like the>767 and 747 Edition use a different system and allow to you>pick up in flight, but even still all your selections, etc,>aren't saved.>>It's an abstract point though tbe ATR aircraft itself does not>save switch positions, the state of the FMC, etc.> >>Your crash: I don't know. You did 3 flights in a row and on>the last one you got a CTD. That's tough to say. It could be>a million things. I would need something I can consistenly>reproduce before I could even begin to look at it.>>-Bryan>>>Unfortunately, it happens randomly.But it happens almost every time.It always happen after a first successful flight.When you T/O again for a second leg,it can happen anytime.Today I made this flightNTAA-NTTB (no problem)NTTB-NTAA (crashed to desktop just before Teano)yesterday I did the same three flights as above, this time it crashed on the second leg.I updated my airac to latest version and I could do the three legs this time but today I had the same problem (see above)It could be the ATR also,so I will post on their forum.yves lefevre

Hi Yves,If it's random that makes it very difficult. I've done 4 flights in a row with no problem. So ot could one of a million different things related to hardware, other software, and any and all combinations of the above.The way it works with software generally is that if you can show me how to reproduce a problem, then I can fix it. If I can't reproduce it, that makes it very tough.Best regards,Bryan

>Hi Yves,>>If it's random that makes it very difficult. I've done 4>flights in a row with no problem. So ot could one of a>million different things related to hardware, other software,>and any and all combinations of the above.>>The way it works with software generally is that if you can>show me how to reproduce a problem, then I can fix it. If I>can't reproduce it, that makes it very tough.>>Best regards,>>Bryan>>I understand the problem for you Brian.But Today I retried the flight of yesterday and it crashed again.I am quoting what I post on the ATR forum.Maybe if you can try this flight yourself(it is not a long one) and the scenery is beautiful.quoted from ATR forumI did the same flight as yesterday.I tried to reproduce the same condition and it crashed again.The same way and almost at the same point.I will give you my setupFS9, ATR,FSNavigator,Track IRv4, FS2CREW ATRThe flight is Air Tahiti 410 between FAAA airport (NTAA) and Bora-Bora (NTBB),T/O time 8:30amFirst leg I use VAITE SID for runway 4 then HHN STAR to Bora Bora for a landing visual on runway 29. During the flight I am in the VC using TrackIR to switch the button my main tasks are monitoring the TOD on the FMC (I open 5 or 6 times the FMC to check where the TOD is) (maybe a clue here),I also check FSNAV to see my position on the moving map.First leg to bora-bora no problem,landed safely and stay on the apron for 3 hours (memory usage stays the same).I don't touch the plane during those three hours.On the apron, my memory usage was 387.800kb at 17h37 and 379232 at 20h47).When the plane is on the ground no problem will happenThen return leg to Faaa airport using rwy 29 and HHN SID then Tenao STAR to rwy 4The problem seems to happen after passing HHn on my way to tenao.yesterday it happened when I looked on fsnav and the FMC. All of sudden back to desktop without doing anything.Today the same.my question is if it is scenery related why it doesn't happen on the first leg.I will redo this flight tomorrow with the Dreamfleet A36 to eliminate this possibility.My airac is the latest one 0611 I believe.I will try also with the PMDG 737-600 which has also an FMC.This problem occurs now because of using FS2CREW I have to take more attention to the FMC,I think there is something wrong there.I am ready to help,if you want.Yves LefevrePS: I used Bill Melichar Tahiti scenery and Bora-Bora scenery from avsim (Borav2.zip and borahot.zip)

I read your post on the Flight1 ATR forum.They seem to think it might be SP3 related or nav-data related.At any rate, all I can suggest is that you do a clean re-install of the ATR and FS2Crew. That often clears things up.I might also suggest trying a flight in another area that only uses default scenery.Chrs,Bryan

I also read the reply on the ATR forum.Just to be sure that it's nothing to do with the add-on scenery as such, I'll try installing Borav2.zip and borahot.zip when I get home from work, and try the flight and see what happens. Anyway - as you say it's a beautiful area

>I've done 2 flights between NTAA and NTBB adn both flights>went without any problems, no CTD's on my rig - sorry.did you wait for more than two hours on the apron at NTBB??If you go to NTBB wait 15 minutes there and go back, it won't crash I think.Yesterday, I waited 1h30 and it didn't crash but some of the crew messages couldn't be heard or were chopped in half.Today I did it again and it crashed after the message "here is the loadsheet cap...." crashsee the post on the ATR forum, there is clearly a memory leak over time (memory usage of fs9.exe is more than the double than when starting the flight)regardsYves Lefevre

>Yves,>>Watch for duplicate AFCADs as they are known to cause memory>leaks.>>Also, if you're running a memory manager, do not run it as>they can also cause problems with FS.>>-Bryan>I have none of them

>How much much memory does your computer have?>>What kind of sound card do you have? Is it an on-board sound>card or a high quality sound card?>>-Bryan>1Gb RAMI use an on-board sound card (C-Media from ASUS P4-B motherboard).Sometimes I have sound glitches (messages truncated especially on the second leg )

My guess is your sound card is the issue. I suggest getting a plug-in sound card. Pls read the section below that pertains to sound cards.This is a copy of the System Requirements from Flight1 For the ATR:Technical Information What type of computer system is required? This is an advanced product. We do provide many different configurations that are made available via our configurations tool, but at the lower end, we recommend you have a 1.6 GHz machine, with a 128 Mb memory video card. System memory should be a minimum of 512. On-board sound chips are NOT recommended. A plugin sound card, such as a Soundblaster Audigy, is recommended. Sounds in many cases will not work correctly unless you have an adequate plug-in sound card. Windows XP is the official operating system that is supported for use with the ATR. It may work with other Microsoft operating systems, however this is not supported by Flight One. -Bryan

>My guess is your sound card is the issue. I suggest getting>a plug-in sound card. Pls read the section below that>pertains to sound cards.>>>This is a copy of the System Requirements from Flight1 For the>ATR:>>Technical Information> >What type of computer system is required? > >This is an advanced product. We do provide many different>configurations that are made available via our configurations>tool, but at the lower end, we recommend you have a 1.6 GHz>machine, with a 128 Mb memory video card. System memory should>be a minimum of 512. On-board sound chips are NOT recommended.>A plugin sound card, such as a Soundblaster Audigy, is>recommended. Sounds in many cases will not work correctly>unless you have an adequate plug-in sound card. Windows XP is>the official operating system that is supported for use with>the ATR. It may work with other Microsoft operating systems,>however this is not supported by Flight One. >>>>-Bryan>Hi Bryan,I don't agree with you on that. My sound card works perfectly with the ATR Stand-alone.I made three flights today without having FS2crew installed (removed from the system). The ATR was with SP3.No crash at all.There is only one conclusion to this.FS2crew is the culprit.I noticed also that the memory usage on my system with the ATR only is much more stable than with FS2crew installed.With FS2 crew it keeps on growing and uses at least 100Mb more than with ATR stand-alone.What I can agree though is that a plug-in sound card is needed for FS2crew but it is NOT needed for the ATR.If this is the case can you point me to a sound card that you tested and that is 100% fully compatible with fs2crew.Can you also take a look to the code to see if there is no forgotten glitch on your side.Another possibility, do you have a sound set with lower memory requirements?Thanks for you helpBest RegardsYves Lef