Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Engine #1 won't start

I've read the FS2Crew ATR manual many times as reccommended.I've printed out the manual so i can follow procedures step by step. I keep getting stuck at this stage -engine1 ignition.After successfully getting engine 2 to start, I try to start no 1. I can hear the pitch rising, I move the start lever to feather, but the engine doesn't start! Spot view reveals the no 1 engine prop not rotating.What am i doing wrong?Eytan Ornstein

Actually, I patiently went through the whole routine again , and both engines started.I felt lucky, but something still baffles me;If you read the manual instruction # 65, it says,"go ahead and press the Start Button on the overhead... move CL2 from shutoff to feather..." I was under the impression that this action started the engine as i could hear the prop going.But later on in the manual, instruction 85, we find again steps on starting engine 2-" click 2 on the RA dialogue panel to request permission to start engine 2...activate HYD AUX ,release the Prop Brake(I thought it would have to be ON!), wait 15 secs...move CL#2 to AUTO".That's the way the flow works. So what was I doing in instruction 65? just "warming up"?Also I later realized that the FO starts engine #1 alone. Eytan

Hello Eytan,The ATR is a complex beast, no doubt about it :-)I'd have to refresh my memory by looking at my own manual again, but if I recall #65 refers to putting Engine 2 in "Hotel Mode"... essentially making Engine 2 act like a de facto APU.There is a ton of discussion on the Flight1 ATR forum about 'hotel mode'... it's rather unique to the ATR.Cheers,Bryan

I get it now. Engine 2 is behaving like an alternative source of power just like an apu.It makes more sense now.... I think!Eytan