Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

ReInstalling FS2002

I had a major problem, and have had to reinstall windows. All went well with the exception of FS. It installed, yet when I try end run the program it gives me a msg stating "FS2002 has caused an error in " and then it promptly shuts down.I uninstalled, and reinstalled...same problem. Has anyone had a need to reinstall FS? Any help at this time would be much appreciatedThanks in advance,Jay

The questions I always ask when someone says they had a problem and reinstalled Windows are:Did you also install all the Updates or Service Packs for your OS? Did you install updated drivers for your controller chips, i.e., VIA, Intel, SiS, AMD, ALi; sound; graphics adapter; NICs; Modems, etc. If not, that is the area to look.Also open Device manager and look for contentions on any of the devices listed, i.e., !, ?, X. If you find any of these then you need to fix them, especially if they relate to sound and graphics.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I installed all the updates to the OS, WMP, all the additional drivers. Insured that that all devices were properly installed creating restore points after each modification. The install was clean.I've narrowed the problem down to DirectX. DirectX has disabled Direct3D. I started with V 8.0a, then tried upgrading to 8.1. The problem remains. Without this FS will not run.I'll keep trying, and if anyone else has any advice, I'd appreciate it.JayFS less for now

Guest ha5mvo

I had similar problem which was due to residual files that were left during uninstelation.are you installing fs into a fresh empty folder?if not, you can rename the fs folder, say to fs 2004 (so that files will not be overwritten) and make a fresh install.if it works this way, you can transfer whatever residual add-on or modified files from fs2004 one at a time( since one of them may be the culprit).Hope this will be of any help//Mike

I started yesterday with format C:, then again this AM I did another format and reinstalled the OS, that is when I found out that anything that requireds Direct3D will not work. dxdiag displays Direct3D as disabled.I'll keep trying.

When you were in dxdiag, where you not able to press the buttons to enable Direct3D and DirectDraw? If not, then I would try reinstalling your graphics adapter drivers and possibly the controller chip drivers.You didn't say but if your OS is Win98/ME, visit http://www.guru3d.com/ for instruction for uninstalling your present drivers prior to installing the drivers again. Also make sure you are using the drivers for your OS.