Sign in to follow this  

The Race Has Begun! Official RTW Race Thread

Guest dcc

CYKA to CYXS 208.7 nm straight shot *really* nasty head and cross winds, especially higher up, kept me from going as fast as ought to be able to go in my P-38 (flew mostly at 14,000ft) If only we had gone the other way... gps trace in image belowhttp://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/cyxs_land.gifNEXT?- dcc

Im heading, not sure where to yet. I made a map of our progress. I will have a list of legs/distances after my flight. It would be cool if someone wants to make a cool logo for this (Avsim vs. Flightsim RTW Challenge). I will incorporate it into the map. See ya in a few.-------------Michaelholding short...

I Flew CYKS-PAJN (Juneau, Alaska). It was a beautiful flight with some great clouds underneath. I was cruising along around 258 knots at FL360 in the Piper Cheyenne. I had to maneauver to avoid an Alaskan Air Flight that was converging with me head on. Strong wind (anywhere from 54-90 knots) almost directly on my nose the whole flight. Juneau is a beautiful place to land, and the offset localizer was fun too.504.6 nm1:42 flight time-------------Michaelholding short...

I guess I'll just assume we're doing south america later..... (From africa, perhaps?)I'm taking the baton from Juneau, Alaska to Yakataga, Alaska in the TWA B307 Stratoliner. (Wanted anchorage, but that's too far for the 2-hour time limit.....)estimated flight time 1:35

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Rather uninteresting flight until it was time to land, because I only discovered on arrival that PACY (Yakataga, AK) has no runway lights!Considered diverting further towards Anchorage, but I went ahead and made a very poor landing with only my landing lights and MS GPS to guide me......Good thing I came in on runway 7..... When I changed the time (after engine shutdown), 25 probably would have had me in a mountain........I assure you that I downloaded real weather before beginning the flight, but the surface winds at both Juneau and Yakataga were 000/00, but faced 42knot headwinds for most of the flight...Total flight time (takeoff-landing: 1:38)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

All,I wonder if it would be a good idea for the new baton holder each time to give an indication of the expected destination airport. That way, a person planning for the next leg might be able to think ahead of what airports might lie in range. (Of course, time and weather might force a deviation--that is understandable.)For example: I have the baton. Expected flight PANC-PXXX. ETA 1900 ZULU.Also, when we get out on the Aleutians we'll need a longer range aircraft. So someone ought to be prepared to make the jump over the sea in something with longer range. Maybe someone with an appropriate craft might stand by as we get nearer. (And maybe volunteer a leg or so ahead of time to say that he or she is ready to take the baton at the appropriate jumping off point.)In general, would it make sense to have a "ready list" of volunteers who are poised to take the baton next? One could indicate a readiness in the prior flight's "baton" post. First come, first served. Give 15 minutes from the previous flight's landing for the first volunteer to grab the baton...otherwise the baton goes to the next volunteer? Here, I'm merely thinking of ways to coordinate our keeping the baton in the air. Others may have much better suggestions! Might you please post any ideas below? Thanks.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest dcc

good food for thought. another thought -- we might want to start a new thread say every continent or so, because this one is taking a long time to load on a slow modem.- dcc