Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoohah

Sound issue Redux

Guest hoohah

Greetings,I have been using/learning FS2Crew for about a week now and really enjoy the product.The only issue I've had is the problem where the initial sound for the FA, Gate, Ground, and FO (? about APU) will not play (under "normal" circumstances). I've tried the suggestion from the FAQ about disable/enable the sound card (since I do have on-bourd sound); but it has had no effect.So, being a prof software developer and compulsive problem solver, I gathered that the problem only occurs with the pop-up windows. I went about loading my NG737 the "wrong" way so that all the windows from FS2Crew are visible at startup - now all the initial sounds play for those pop-ups (it's cool how the FA actually knocks on the door).I know this isn't a major "bug" or anything; but it might help trace down the issue that does occur for some of us.regards,

Hello Edwin,I'll bet you dollars to donuts your onboard sound card is the problem. It probably just doesn't have enough juice or something to play all the sounds given that FS2Crew is very sound intensive. I don't know much about onboard sound cards.Can you update the drivers for them?Can you turn down hardware acceleration in DirectX for an Onboard sound card. If so try that.All the best,Bryan

Guest hoohah

Hi Bryan,I've worked with all those suggestions already, drivers updated, DirectX settings, fs sound quality, etc.Like I said, the only "fix" I've found so far is to load the 738 the "wrong" way, so that all the windows are open at the start. That works well enough for now. My best guess is that playing a sound and simultaneously openning a pop-up window is too much for my system to handle.This may be my excuse to get a better sound set up... ;)regards,

Guest hoohah

I purchased and installed a PCI sound card (Turtle-Beach Santa Cruz) and have no more issues with sounds not playing. So the moral of the story is that on-board sound sucks (or something like that ;)regards,

Guest Jeroen November

Yep...that's absolutely right. And the same goes for on-board graphics, if you ask me those are only good for people using their computer for text processing and playing pacman in their free time.Greets,Jeroen

I too have this sound problem. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have a AMD64 3500+, with an SB Audigy sound card. Latest drivers from Creative are installed. Onboard audio is disabled in BIOS. So, it's not a computer horsepower issue.I have tried hitting Q to turn the sound on/off. Doesn't help.I guess I'll start loading the aircraft the "wrong" way and see if that helps. How do you close all the windows after doing this?Brian, could you please check into this issue? It's frustrating.James

Hello James,Just click on the 'BATT' text on the Termination Page. Will try looking into it, but it's very difficult because I can't reproduce it, only a tiny, tiny fraction of all users experience this, and some people evidently fix the problem by updating their sound card or disabling and then re-enabling their onboard sound card.-Bryan

Thanks Brian. The work-around of loading FS2Crew the wrong does not help sound issue for me.BTW, I disabled and re-enabled my soundcard today. Didn't help.I'm at a loss here.James

Guest hoohah

I've been able to reproduce this issue even with my new sound card (not that was trying to) by screwing around with the PCI latency settings on my machine. I believe there is some bus contention between the video and sound (and the video always wins) when the pop-up is being drawn and the sound is being played at the same (or very nearly the same) time.

>I purchased and installed a PCI sound card (Turtle-Beach>Santa Cruz) and have no more issues with sounds not playing. >So the moral of the story is that on-board sound sucks (or>something like that ;)>>regards,> Sorry but I have to disagree. My last three boards have had onboard sound and I have NEVER had sound issues. Mind you, I'm not talking about "cheapy" boards either. My present board is an MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (about a year old... hmmm! Time for a new one!?!)BTW, not trying to pick a fight. Just letting people know that not everyone has problems with onboard sound.

I've got a handle on the issue.It stemmed from a very small minority of user's computers not being able to play a sound if a panel opens at the exact same time.Why less than 1 percent of all users have this problem is a mystery.At any rate, I just added a delay between the time the sound plays and panel opens. Seems to fix it.It'll be in Service Update 2, which will be released soon.-Bryan