Sign in to follow this  
Guest CharlesH

Who's Willing to Pay?

Guest N247BK

I am looking forward to Microsoft's FS9(COF), as I have been for everything since FS3.0.But I fear I will be bored by Christmas 2003, as I suspect I would have tried all the aircraft in as many difficult situations as I could set up.Since this software is really intended for the persons who have never flown in the real world (I mean, for $75-USD, what do you expect?), we all know there will always be some less-than-real features.Don't get me wrong, Microsoft has done remarkably well in putting this package together and making it fun to tinker with.But, now I'm ready to swipe my credit card to the tune of $500-USD if MS were to offer a Flight Sim that brushes reality a little closer. This will mean a $3,000 hardware upgrade, I'm sure.With that, who is willing to join me and have available something that will silence the whiners?

Few would be willing to pay making the whole effort uneconomical. For many even something so realistic as Flight1's Meridian is too expensive at $30 (so contrary to your opinion it is possible to have higher 'expectations' even at this lowly price). But if you open your own business and deliver a killer simulation at $500 - I will consider it seriously. But it better be something out of this world otherwise it is hard to justify 6 fold price increase for something say 'twice' as good. :-eekMichael J.

Bob,The one fear that is utterly groundless is that a new version of Flight Simulator will `bore` you after several months. The aftermarket will have well and truly kicked in by then and if you're bored it's because you're already dead.Secondly, I agree that a high end simulator would be a nice adjunct in the marketplace. Fortunately, Elite is available and priced right in your ballpark and comes with FAA approval as a training aid. Let us know how you get on as I hear the graphics are not as good as Flight Sim, the `gameplay` non-existent (obviously), and the number of aftermarket aircraft somewhat limited. But the new version is sold as Microsoft Flight Simulator compatible so I imagine you could spend your dough and get everything you ask for.ChasW

Guest RSmith

But the question remains valid, in my mind. Isn't there a market for an "in-between" flt.sim. that eliminates much of the "game" but enhances more of the "reality" ?MS has the foundation for this - in their "Pro" vs. "Basic" editions. If marketed correctly, they could reap vast rewards from each new "Basic" edition, while offering a more sophisticated version, at a higher price, for those interested in reality. May not be quite a "killer" from a pure profit / loss perspective - but sure sets MS up for a nice "spin-off" / sale of division, with a nice premium on top of their costs !If what I read is correct, FS is MS's most profitable software package yet. Splitting the market into (2) segments (Pro & Basic) may pro-long their market domination. If not, the continuing battle for realism, frames, and system compatability may burn us all out......Yup, I'm still buying the next version........Ron

When I buy a new version of MS Flightsim, I am not buying it for the game itself. Out of the box, MS Flightsim is not that great. Standing on its own it would get very boring very fast. Other sims are better out of the box. However, what I am paying for is the future freeware and payware addons that do a great job of simulating real-world flying as well as the fs engine will allow them to do.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

If you want realism spend an extra $4400US and get your PPL. Why waste the cash on a $500 sim that will not give anything more than $70 FS, other than a fancy dashboard.Simulators are just that, they simulate real flight.

$500: That's 5 hours in a C172SP at my flight club. Why spend it on a sim? I'd encourage anyone who touts spending this much on a PC based sim to take 5 hours flying (and lessons will cost more, so maybe we;re at 3 or 4 hours). Just my thoughts..Bruce.KBJC, Jeffco, CO.

I definetely agree. Why spend so much on a sim, when u can just go up in the real thing. It's a great sim, but half the time your on autopilot, looking at scenery. Now if MS could make a combat flight sim using modern jets, with the same amount of graphic modeling and realism....i would be in heaven for sure.I still love this MS2k2, but starting to miss campaigns and blowing stuff up,,LOL=Swiv=

Guest CharlesH

Hi Bob:Have you considered Airline Simmulator 2, which is unlike MS Flight SImmulator and all of its eye candy. Its for those who wish to do technical flying. It is made for DOS but from what I understand it does run on windows. You could also wait for Airline Simmulator 3 which is being made which does run within Windows. I don't know too much about it. Something to consider, not bashing MS Flight SImmulator or Airline Simmulator, just for consideration.Charles

Guest N247BK

Thanks for the replies, and it really is fun to experience the many other perspectives ...I am a real-world (sinlge-engine, fixed wing) since 1983.In my part of the world, we lose many days of potential flying to weather (such as today, with several inches of snow and ice on the ground and still falling).The simulators help with getting us (as there are several pilots suffering through this with me) through these periods.Sitting around the other night, we were all dreaming out loud about a higher dollar simulator, that could actually SAVE us a lot of money.I am lucky enough to have friends who own a 1999 Skyhawk XP (full IFR, King KLN 94, IFR GPS). They let me take her out a couple times a month (as weather permits). Some months, when they are in Europe or Asia vacationing, I take her out daily.I (alone) spent $3,300-USD in 2002 in fuel, landing, hangar, and tie-down fees, a new tire, an electrical system inspection, an oil leak trace, and two check-rides (I made one trip to the Bahama Islands), and I insisted on paying a share of the plane's annual inspection fee.I some beautiful sunsets, but I do have a son in 8th grade, and more money needs to go into is college fund.I'm willing to pay, say, $500 for a superb flight sim, with realistic, very demanding scenery and weather processing.

Ron,FS is Microsoft's most profitable software? I'd love to see the numbers on that, since the sales of a product like Microsoft Office dwarf FS exponentially. I always figured FS was a nice little niche market that they serve because there's some money to be had, but I never thought it was a power profit generator. In fact, it seems like games such as Everquest sell oodles more than FS if you go by the sheer hype in the gaming world. But hey, if it can be proven that FS is that popular I'll gladly accept it!cheers,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest H_Kev55

I think Mr. Bon Jovi would shudder at what you've done to his pale horse...LOL