Sign in to follow this  

what part of Flight Simulator makes you come back for m

is it the takeoff? is it the taxing to the runway, is it the ils landing, is it the VFR landing, is it going through white clouds, is it the sounds of the engines? is it the ATC interaction? is it the views from 33000 feet....what keeps you coming back for more?

Guest Lindy

For me it's the challenge of learning to control the helicopters plus being able to download and install great VFR scenery for almost anywhere in the world.-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Its always been the challenge of navigation for me. When I started with 98 I never flew but use to work on boats. When I found the shift+Z key I used my nautical navigation and would go to the arrival airport and get its lat, long, elevation, and runway hdg then return to the departure field. Somehow I had learned about using the ILS and would land using that but since it was on my girlfriend computer (she didn't use the program that came with the computer nor did she have a yoke/joystick) I flew only using keyboard for flight controls. Since I never loaded weather (didn't know how to or the importance of it) It was easy to control. Flew around the world like that. Homing in on a way point. I would take off around midnight in the 73 get to a low fuel burn speed and wake up around 7 in the morning figure out how close I was change course and find the field.Now I love using sectionals with no navaids unless its IFR and keep it low in the 172 like 2000-7000 AGL.Kilstorm

I like to land and and taxi alot and hear the cabin announcements makes me think back at the flights i did, also its fun to see places you never been at before. :D

Guest Grey_Wolf

I'm with Lindy on this one, Flying at 75' AGL at 100 KTS, spot landings, VFR, weaving through great scenery. I do on ocasion fly some GA aircraft and dont let any one know but twice I've flown something jet powered. I'm also new to learning to navigate through the use of NDB's and VOR's, flying at my altitudes its east to get turned around in a canyon.:-rotorIts the visuals, the scenery, the aircraft or helicopter.Having FunGrey_Wolf

first off, i really nice refreshingly new thread!ok, for me its the whole package, the atc and the autogen buildings and trees. I fly for Eagle Express, in the Seattle area using real weather and have been flying a lot with the C177RG (dreamfleet) and just having a real ball with that, weaving in and out of moutains in bad weather is challenging and the drone of a piston eninge, ahhh, nothing quite like it. I like Seattle area so much because you have great city landscape and great moutains and can easily head up into canada bush country when you have the bush bug bittin'ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Ultimately, it's the flying, especially shooting a successful night IFR approach to minimums in a heavy jet, but more than that it's the wide ranging exposure to good people, state of the art technology, and getting to know a little about the geography of this most amazing planet we live on.http://mostrealisticai.projectai.com/images/northwest.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

For me, it's keeping the thousands of dolars I spent on flight training (private, instrument, comercial and CFI) from going to waste. I'm temporarily grounded due to medical issues and I hope to get back in the cockpit one day, so I use FS to keep my instrument skills proficient.

Landing a heavy jet by hand in adverse weather conditions. I never let the autopilot do any landings. Also, I'm addicted to tweaking my AI traffic. Nothing like arriving at a realistically busy international airport.Misha

Guest teetee

popin' outta da clouds and seein' da runway in front of me! every one survives the take-off.......tt

Guest JDH

I like visiting places I have been in real life, especially if I have got add-on scenery. A good example is Almaty in Kazakhstan. With the new GMAX scenery in the file libarary and the nearby mountains, I could almost be back there for real!!

I love doing touch and go's. I enjoy the approach and landing phases of flight. That said, I do love to fly in the Bahamas and in the Caribbean. Now with the new beautiful scenery from Flight1, I can practice flying to most of the Islands of The Caribbean before I file a real flightplan.JoseCFI, CFII

For me, it's trying to get that membership in the mile high club. :-)Honestly, it's all about the feeling and sensations of flight! There's nothing like it. Like alot of us here know and can appreciate that once you have tasted it you will always want to return to it whenever and however you can. Flight Simulation gives us that opportunity anytime and anyplace we please.