Sign in to follow this  
byork

Fuel Qantity in Before Start Checklist

Hello Sandy,I know what you mean. I originally wanted to do what you suggested.The amount of fuel the Captain says is on board is "generic".Reading the amount of fuel on board is easy.However, the hard part is recording a different "wav file" for each and every possible fuel quantity... that would involve recordings "hundreds" of .wav files and then coding each one individually in.Perhaps in the future a text-to-voice generator will be devised that actually sounds 100 percent human and life-like.Then we can do these kinds of thing easily. Let's hope it happens soon.Cheers,Bryan

Guest AJ

In this case, perhaps it would have been better to leave the number out of the readback altogether. Instead, he could say something along the lines of: "Fuel quatity checked and is confirmed to match both the quantity required for the trip, as well as the quantity listed on the fuel slip."

Guest CTyankee

I agree. Even the reply "Check" would be better than an incorrect number in my opinion.Cheers,Sandy

Guest CTyankee

Hi Bryan.I was hoping to hear that you plan to take care of this issue.One other small thing. There are a couple of pre-pushback FA dialogues requesting more meals -- crew or passenger. Perhaps it would be more realistic to allow these requests only for relatively long flights.Regards,Sandy

Guest Marc Sykes

The .wav file thing is an issue if the captain/FO must read the numbers in group form, yes. So why not just read them digit by digit? In fact, many if not most numbers are read this way in aviation. As a controller, about the only time I use group form is with aircraft callsigns (eg. American 2091 is twenty ninety-one, not two zero niner one, but some controllers even spell these numbers out). Other than that, the FAA phraseology is almost always digit by digit: temperature one-six degrees, winds three five zero at one two (350 at 12), and so on. If the captain reads the fuel quantity as, let's say, two four thousand six hundred (24,600), this should only require ten .wav files (digits zero through nine), which you probably already have for other applications.Another area where this could come in handy would be the cruise PA where the captain "reads" the destination wx. I pick the one that seems most consistent with the precip/cloud cover, but I have to cringe when I hear "myself" say "weather at our destination is clear skies, temperature twenty degrees" as I fly into wintertime Seattle in the middle of the night. Clear skies yes, twenty degrees no. If there was a little box to set the destination temperature, just like the little boxes for all the other speeds/elevations/quantities etc., the captain could read "temperature five degrees" (although most likely since I'm flying in the USA I would take the Celsius temp and convert it to Fahrenheit for the pax, few of whom are likely to understand Celsius). Actually I could do that conversion myself and enter 40 instead of 5 and he would read four-zero degrees. You could even have a minus flag for when it gets seriously cold.I definitely agree with the other posters, the current state of the software is just about flawless. But there are a few small ways like this that could make it just a little bit more interactive and immersive.I have another idea but it doesn't fit in this topic so I'll start a new one.Marc SykesZLA ARTCC ChiefAAL343