Sign in to follow this  
Guest wee_davie_2612

After a couple of flights...

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Richard,Good questions there.1. In the real aircraft there are two FD switches and depending on whom is in command they are turned on in a set order to decided which side is considered master (That small MA light above has got a use after all). In FS you turn yours on when setting up your flight instruments.2. No, they should be turned back to OFF in the after take off flow by the eff oh. They are only turned on in flight if you encounter heavy precipitation (and perhaps icing but I'm not sure on that one).3. You control the taxi lights, turnoff lights and landing lights. You also work the nav and logo lights.4. Yes, switch them on (along with the logo lights at night) as part of your recieving aircraft flow. Turn them off during the termination flow.5. Yep.6. I don't think it can do that so you have to hit the recall yourself.7. I'll check and get back to you on this one.Cheers,David

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey, Going back to number 2. Normally turned OFF. Ignition switches will be in the CONT position prior to engine anti-ice activation and will remain in CONT position during engine anti-ice operation.If moderate to severe precipitation is a factor, select start switches to FLT. (All flight regimes)Number 7. I checked a real AOM and couldn't find any indication of when it should be shut off. It'll shut off automatically, however, when the eletrical system is shut down as it has an electric control system incase hydraulic power is lost.So I'll conclude that you should just leave it alone and it'll sort itself out :)David

Howdy,1. You turn the Flight Director on during your Receiving Flow. The FO will shut it off during his After Landing Flow.2. The only time the Start Swtiches will be left in CONT in flight is if you indicated during your brief that anti-ice would be used. The FO will not turn them off in this case because he can't read the enviroment in FS sufficiently well enough to know when to shut them off, so you need to do it for him.3. Correct. You turn them on for the taxi, the FO will turn them on during his After Landing flow, but you have to shut them off during Parking. 4. Position lights. That's in the manual I think. Turn the Position lights on when you've established power (APU on, etc).5. Let me double check the manual. I may have forgotten to type it in.6. Good catch. They're interconnected. Will add that in to the Update.7. Yaw Damper. I just asked my friend who flies an NG... he didn't know, says they never touch it other than to make sure it's on prior to TO.All the best,Bryan

Howdy Bryan,1. OK, but shouldn't it be included in the CA Receiving Flow list then?2. OK, that explains why he left them on CONT on my flight yesterday.3. OK, but shouldn't they be included in the CA flow lists then - in the After Start flow prior to taxi and the Parking flow on gate arrival at the destination?4. You're right Bryan, it says Exterior Lights. What lights are included in "Exterior Lights" - all but strobes, taxi and landing lights?5. Had another check myself and found the following. Both are included in the CA's Receiving Aircraft flow but during the termination checklist, the FO will only challenge the CA for the Cab/Util swith and not the IFE/Pass switch. When performing the Receiving Aircraft checklist, the CA isn't challenged for any one of them but both are included in his Receiving Aircraft flow. Don't know what's most accurate according to real life OPS and how they are handled?6. Sounds good!7. OK, personally I find it natural to switch it to it's OFF position during the termination flow together with all the other systems/switches to reach the "cold & dark" state. But...if your friend alias a real NG driver says he never checks it other than before TO...I won't argue anymore about it...;-)One more thing that just hit me, shouldn't the Above/Normal/Below TCAS switch be used anytime during the flight...ie switched to 'Above' during the climb phase, 'Normal' during the cruise phase and then finally 'Below' during the descent?All the best,

Richard Åsberg

Hi David,First of all, thanks for your answers! One follow-up question to your answer on question 3 - what is the PMDG name (on the overhead panel) for the turnoff lights and how and when are they used and what kind of lights are they and where on the a/c are they located? Hmm...guess that equals more than one question...;-)Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Hi again,About nr 2, thanks for the info!About nr 7, last flight I did it never shut off automatically but remained in it's ON position even after everything else in the a/c was "cold & dark". Will have another look at it when I get home tonight. If it turns off by itself when the electrical system is shut down, I realize why it's not included in the flows/checklists post landing.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Hello Richard,1. The Flight Director Switch is part of "MCP - SET". 3. Taxi light flow: There is no absolute right time to turn them on/off, hence they're not included in any specific flow. 4. Exterior Lights: Kinda the same as above. Use them as necessary. Exterior lights are of course exterior lights.5. The Termination Checklist has been fixed to include the IFE/Pass switch. That's in the update. See top thread. Not all flow items are backed up with a checklist. Checklists are typically reserved for the most important items. 7. I'll see about adding that to the update after next. Pedantic, yes, but FS2Crew is meant to be pedantic.All the best,Bryan

Guest wee_davie_2612

Richard,The turn off lights are the two switches to the right of the landing light cluster and to the left of the taxi light switch.They are basically lights that shine sideways from the aircraft to illuminate taxiway turnoffs. They are located on the fuselage, about mid way up and slight aft of the forward exits.Switch that switches on at night and you'll see them glowing. They are actually smoke effects in flight sim due to FS limitations with the amount of lights available for use and so you wont see any taxiway illumination with them solely on. The turnoff light effect is there when you turn on the taxi light switch though. They are normally turned on whenever needed before takeoff and are then controlled in much the same fashion as the landing lights.I'll try and get some specific data for you later.Cheers,David

Hi Bryan!>4. Exterior Lights: Kinda the same as above. Use them as>necessary. Exterior lights are of course exterior lights.Comes rather naturally that exterior lights are exterior lights...;-) Reason I asked is because I heard you won't be very popular at an airport if taxing around with your strobes on for example... Also heard switching the position lights on usually is a sign to the ground crew that you're ready for push, don't know if that's true?>5. The Termination Checklist has been fixed to include the>IFE/Pass switch. That's in the update. See top thread. That's great news Bryan!>Not all flow items are backed up with a checklist. Checklists>are typically reserved for the most important items. Not sure what you commented here but see what you mean.>7. I'll see about adding that to the update after next. >Pedantic, yes, but FS2Crew is meant to be pedantic.Only thing I'm after is to know I'm doing all my flights from entering the cockpit to leaving it in the most realistic way possible...and yes...I kind of think the airliner captain profession is quite a pedantic one :-)Don't know if I missed it, but any comments on the Above/Normal/Below TCAS switch?Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Hi David,Thanks for your very informative and interesting answer! Strange, but haven't actually ever noticed those switches until now when I had to fire FS up just to have a look :-)All the best,

Richard Åsberg

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Richard,First up, I was wrong. The turn off lights are actually mounted in the wing root with the fixed landing lights. The lights on the fuselage are actually wing lights. The lights shine outward approximately 30

WOW David, where do you get all this info :-)?! Thanks alot, think I will print this out and hang it on my wall next to my PC ;-)>Meteorological conditions permitting, the use of the FIXED LANDING, >RUNWAY TURNOFF, STROBE & STEADY, ANTI COLLISION and WING lights are >required below 18,000 feet for both day and night operations.Found this quite interesting since I've IRL seen a/c:s more than once waiting with the landing lights until they are cleared to land and then they turn the landing lights on. Also thought 10,000 feet was the altitude you often turn your landing lights off during your climb phase of flight and also the altitude you normally turn them on during your descent phase...that is if you're not a Scandinavian Airlines of course who waits until cleared to land...;-) Maybe it differs between different nations.>As for the TCAS: You control it to suit your needs.Is this how it works IRL as well, that the FO works the Transponder Mode selector and the CA works the bias mode switch?Again David, thanks alot for all the info you've given!!Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Richard,I get all this info from a real 737 AOM, also I know a bit too :)More info about the TCAS II:Unless otherwise specified, pilots are expected to operate TCAS while in flight in all airspace, including oceanic, international, and foreign airspace. TCAS operation should be in the TA/RA mode except as otherwise required.The 5 or 10 mile TCAS RANGE should be selected for takeoff. During climb, the range should be incrementally increased to allow optimum traffic display. The selected range is often dependent on the traffic situation and density.The 40 nm selection is normally optimum for cruise flight. During descent, the range may be incrementally adjusted downward as the aircraft approaches and enters the terminal environment. During both climb and descent, ABOVE or BELOW may be selected to

Hi David,A Real 737 AOM, wonder where you found that one ;-)?Interesting about the bias switch, that it doesn't actually change the operation of the TCAS but only what the TCAS shows on the display. That was something new to me!About the landing lights, I'm pretty sure you're right that it most have to do with money saving. Have a colleague here at my work who's also a private pilot and when I asked him the same question about the landing lights he said that most airliner companies tell their pilots to not use them more than absolutly neccesary since they are extremly expensive and have a quite short life cycle.All the best,

Richard Åsberg

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey,If you want the AOM you can email me at http://www.ibsw08346pwp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/antispam.jpg and we can set a time to transfer it via MSN messenger. I've found that that is the easiest way to transfer large files. Talking of which it is around 35 meg.Landing lights; They ain't your standard 30Watt bulbs you get down at the DIY shop that's for damn sure. Everything an airline is about is geared towards maximum profit. Having the landing lights on for only 4 mins as oppossed to 30mins is going to make those bulbs last a whole lot longer and thus reduce the number of times they need replaced which saves money.Have a good one,David