Sign in to follow this  
Guest BenBaron

Choosing Departure Type

Guest BenBaron

Hi Andy,you can find the procedures of ICAO A and ICAO B and how they are flown in the profiles manual and the sprague manual... .I think, the ICAO B departure is used under more strict noise abatement procedures as you have to level off very early at 1000ft to reduce to CLB Thrust which is more quiet. On an ICAO A departure you fly with takeoff power and much noise up to 3000ft before really reducing thrust, but don't really know... ;-). And what you say also makes sense :-).

Thanks Ben. Actually, I'm pretty comfortable with "how to's"... it's more an issue of the "why's" that's got me puzzled. This is stuff that I've never had to bother with in 23 years of flight simming which, in itself, is a complement to FSCrew as it's got me thinking about real world procedures because I now HAVE to. Andy RallsNorth Yorkshire

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey,There seems to be specific noise abatement procedures for each different airport in the UK. For example this one is for Glasgow (EGPF)Expidite climb to 1500ft before reducing power to maintain a minimum rate of climb of 500ft/min until 3000ft.Whereas Bristol (EGGD)Climb straight ahead until 3000 before turning right.You can get the specific data for each airport from the Nats AIS site. It is in the textual data for each airport in the AIP sectionHope it helps,David

Hello Andy,On the Jepp 10-7 page, under general airport info, there will be a note if you have to use the Special A ICAO procedures, if not, then standard B procedures apply. (This is airline specific of course).Flaps 5, ICAO B in VNAV will be the profile you use most.Cheers,Bryan