Sign in to follow this  

what can you tell me of Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8?

I have the PSS Dash 8, but I have also been looking at Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8. i got the sound sample and they were amazing (or was it a real plane?). How do the sounds compare to those of PSS (the PSS sounds seem to be lacking something if you ask me), and what about the model and panel (and where can i get more images of the panel)?thanks,

Hi,I've never tried the PSS Dash 8, but why don't you just install Oleksiy's model/panel and give it a quick try? That's the beauty of freeware..... :-) In any case, I absolutely love the sounds and the panel, while they lack the graphic flourish of the PSS bird, they're not bad and I've heard they're much better in the realism department.:-beerchug

Check out the Dash8 forum at FSBaltic.net. People seem to either love or hate Oleksiys' Dash8 -- I'm part of the love team!!:) But, it is not an aircaft that you just jump in and fly. Lots of reading needs to be done -- even before you can start the engines.The panel and systems are accurate -- the sounds (as heard from the cockpit only ) are most realistic.BarryPS Download version 1.04 from Avsim and a "patch" from Oleksiys' wesite ( address details included in download docs) . Then spend 1 week reading the written material before attempting to fly :) Turn up large speakers and have heart attack on hearing take off sounds.

If you want "As real as it gets" then download it. BE WARNED ... you MUST MUST MUST ... read the manual. I have both the PSS and the Frolov models. I have not used the PSS for some time now. Don't get me wrong, the PSS is very nice to look at, but Frolov's is the real learning curve. You WILL have to read the manual. You can find the Frolov Dash 8 site here; http://hangar.fsbaltic.net/dash8/Now go have some real fun.Oh one more thing. Did I mention that you, HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL.Oh ya, one more thing. When you get ready for take off, turn up the volume and strap on the seat belt.Ya, and one last point ... read the manual.http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifThis ain't no game kid!http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/dansig.jpg

I can confirm the part beginning with 'read the manual'. I downloaded the dash, jumped in with the quick start (example flight) of frolov and still was not able to get off the ground. somehow thrust was not enough. hence, I will read the manual now ;-)CheersPhilCome to DAD!http://www.dangerous-airports.com/images/dad_logo.jpg

As above.It just feel so good. I don't have the PSS product, but am sure that it's very good. Oleksiy's is FREE!! And, if you don't like it you can just delete it. You'll need to put in some time an effort, but then it's really rewarding when you finally get from A to B and land safely for the first time.Give it a go mate!! Go on!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest FS_freak

"Landing safely" That's the real challenge on this excellent bird. I have read the manual and logged many hours on this aircraft after getting past all the hassles with the throttle lock, the FSUIPC distortion that renders a "make believe" spoiler (Dash 8's dont have them) limiting max speed to under 80kts and sending many barely airborne sweat smeared pilots to the ground a couple of yards past the threshold, the toe brakes inadvertedly engaging the TCS making it impossible to use the autopilot, and all this while trying to read the barely readable panel on my 1024*768 monitor. The funny part is I actually closed my hangar doors and left all the heavy metal to hibernate. Yes, now I can get from point A to point B on Oleksyi's Dash 8 without much drama. Never mind nav holds, gps holds, TCAS and weather radars. I lost my reading glasses so that'll have to wait. Bringing it down is another story. You have to be very careful with the throttle or else you can get a reverse pitch in the air which will surely send a chill down your spine. Setting flaps has to be done with a lot of trim compensation. Be prepared to bounce off the runway a couple of times until you get a hang of it. Bottom line is GO FOR IT, it

Guest Henri W

Hans,Oleksiy's Dash 8-Q300 is the only FS2k2 plane I have used during the last few months. It is very much worth the time you have to invest to properly operate it. Try it, it is unbelievable.Attached a few screen shots of the panel. As you can see there are quite a few subpanels you can call for.Best regards,Henrihttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Nice screens Henri! To me, Frolov's Dash 8 is a sports car, and the PSS is station wagon. A really, really nice station wagon, but still...Rock on Oleksiy!

Current King of the Freeware aircraft!!Not for everyone though...the beauty is in the attention to detail!!Tony in Miami

>Attached a few screen shots of the panel. As you can see >there are quite a few subpanels you can call for. hey -- in the third picture, what is the switch 3 rows down and second from the right for?? I KNOW -- RTFM!!!!! :-lol Barry