Sign in to follow this  
Guest B52Drivr

Did Angelique get the same CS 757 everyone else got?

Sorry, too quick to post. Yes it included version 2.0. For whatever reason, I thought 2.1 was out. Not yet.Eric

In the review is stated that she flew the plane for 55 hours. That's more than enough time to find out the flaws.Wolfgang

Yes, let's not have a timely and informative thread locked due to unnecessary cheap shots. I admit that I was taken aback by the lack of reference in the review to the CS 757's flaws that have been listed repeatedly in this forum, but this thread will hopefully include lots of input from other owners of the software. John G.

John G.

>Agreed Bill M's comment was over the line, and just plain>wrong.>>Regards.>Ernie.I just posted my opinions just like the reviewer. If I offended anyone, I appoligize.PS I'm quite sure no $$ got paid under the table. It was maybe bad humor.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Guest essoblue

I wonder if someone senior at Avsim should write out a checklist of items to review for each aircraft, and that each reviewer has to work through and tick off when tested. This way, all major bases would be covered, and offer some measure of consistency across reviews. I'm sure it would be an extensive list but worth it in order to increase the informativeness and comprehensiveness of the review.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

>>That's the problem though, isn't it? A professional review...am I wrong or are all the review positions at Avsim VOLUNTARY positions? What exactly is "professional" about a voluntary position on a hobbyist website? I guess if you are looking for pro reviews you should go out and buy a copy of Computer Pilot or PC Aviator magazine...I seem to recall a few months ago the call went out from Avsim for people to volunteer to write reviews for the site. It's too bad some of you experts didn't answer the call...That said, I think it would be a good idea for Avsim to put a disclaimer somewhere on the review page that the reviews are provided by volunteer members of the community and that the depth of their knowledge may vary.

Might be a good idea but remember the reviewers are volunteers. Also agree with Bill M's post above. No need for such comments. A lot of work and detail was put into that review in good faith. On a wider picture, look at the recent PC Pilot review. It even appears to put the CS 757 on a par with PMDG's best and, until I saw this one, I also thought that perhaps PC Pilot had got hold of a different CS version.Interesting also to look again at earlier AVSIM reviews of the 757:1. Dec 2006. PSS 757 by Joe Ellwood and Kris Heslop {a current 757 FO}2. March 2008. 757 Professional by Just Flight. by Angelique. This is exactly the same PSS 757 but published on DVD.To me, a current RW 757 pilot gives credibility to a review. It was also interesting to see several 757 pilots commented in detail on the fidelity {or not} of the PSS aircraft on the PSS Avsim forum. One thing I find very noticeable is that these reviews never consider support or the developers attitude to its customers. Which is why, although I would like to try an updated 757, I shall still save my money for the MD11.In the end, perhaps the old saying still applies: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".John RPSPaul"If someone can not figure out that a 757 is burning fuel from wing tanks first and fuel burn is off by over 50% making this one of the most UNREALISTIC add-ons put out to date then they should not be reviewing. Yes, 757's usually burn 8 tons of fuel going Trans-Atlantic and land with fuel in the center tanks when the wings are empty happens all the time..."Perhaps {I hope} I am mis-reading you??

I gave up on PC Pilot eons ago.....if you read the avsim forums you are way ahead of PC Pilot. :)The moral of the story is..... read the avsim forums .....daily. :-hah

Ed Agreed ..... and I do .... daily.Point was we seem to have two totally independent reviewers coming to the same conclusion and 180 degrees out to the view on the forums??RegardsJohn R

Guest B52Drivr

Wow, looks like I sort of started something . . . and someone STILL has to answer my question, is this an NEW issue or just a rehash. Sorry if I missed something I've been rather ill for the past few days.Best,Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

This is certainly an interesting discussion, and one I am glad has started.A major and well respected FS site has published a very positive review of a controversial product from an even more controversial developer. The review doesn't reflect the experience of many users on this and other forums.I would hazard a guess that the reviewer simply isn't the same kind of flight simmer as many of the regular posters on this forum. Many of us here are die hard advanced flight simmers who have spent years in the hobby and have considerable knowledge of it, and the subject matter of our hobby! It just may be that the reviewer simply doesn't look for the same level of sophistication and fidelity in addon aircraft as some of us do. However, a site such as this that is so well respected and used by so many as a reference should hold it's reviewers to higher standards.The problem is compounded by the fact that there are so few review sources available these days. This site and the other big one being the only real sources available to us online. Some reviews published on the internet are truly dire, and consist of nothing more than a collection of screenshots and a few lines of comments with the conclusion "I would recommend this addon." No analysis, no investigation, no reporting.It's frustrating to see that what reviews we do get published online are lacking in quality and depth, and even reviewers that gave us great reviews in the past appear to have had their commentary dumbed down in recent times. I wouldn't accuse Avsim or any other big FS site of telling their reviewers to write positive reviews of any given product, but I suspect there is an editorial policy of downplaying the negative aspects of commercial products, and any shenanigans the publisher/developer may have been getting up to.I also appreciate the fact the reviewers here are all volunteers and give their time to write these reviews, but I will refer to my comment above and say that a site of this calibre should set itself higher standards for its reviews.On a related note, PC Pilot magazine...I used to be a regular reader of this magazine, it was nice to have a magazine dedicted the hobby available in newsagents. However, being a bi-monthly publication the news was always many weeks out of date (especially for those of us who frequent FS forums online). I stopped reading PC Pilot last year when they gave the Just Flight "F-Lite Airbus" (aka the CLS A330/A340 package) and Just Flight's "Flying Club" very high marks and "PC Pilot Awards". Looking through their reviews they always seem to give very positive reviews to Just Flight products, even the ones that are totally unremarkable in every way. Then you notice that a good portion of the magazine consists of very large ads for Just Flight products, you put two and two together and it all becomes clear :)

I respect what every one is saying here and many are very knowledgeable people. My push back...why don't we volunteer more of our services to help existing reviewers? Or certainly let reviewers know that we are available to help?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Paul,you must remember that our reviews are the results of ONE persons results with the product. Angelique goes into great depths with her reviews and in my opinion she puts a great deal of effort in thoroughly putting a product through its paces.I'm sorry if you (and several other forum posters) have lost faith in ALL AVSIM reviews based on this one review.On a brighter note. I appreciate all comments, positive and negative, as it demonstrates that many readers, like yourself, can also write reviews. I'm always on the lookout for new staff reviewers, and look forward to future requests to become an AVSIM staff reviewer.

Hi Bill,Wow, I wish we did get paid under the table. All AVSIM staff are volunteers, who spend many hours flying/testing product to inform you, the reader, about the product at hand to the best of their ability.I'm not ashamed about publishing this review, as I'm proud of every one of my review staff who dedicate their own personal time to look at a product on your behalf, and try to give you an unbiased, honest "opinion" of what the product is all about.Yes, there are a lot of "rivet counters" out there who just "fly" the plane and say it's not realistic compared to their 5000 real-world hours in the real world aircraft. But the reviewers do the best they can.