Sign in to follow this  
beep

Peter Clemenko's review of the Coolsky Super 80 pro

Hello all,Having purchased and flown the coolsky maddog super pro since it came out, I have to admit that the review by Peter Clemenko leaves me speechless. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but this so called "review" is very unfair to the quality of this product and makes me doubt if the author knows what he's talking about.So Super 80 pro captains, please read this avsim review and correct me if I'm wrong.Kind regards,Jos

I usually do comment much on reviews, but I do have to agree with Jos that this review is way off the mark, and it misses what this product is all about.I really say this is hardly a complete review, as there was really no discussion about the core of the product, which is a super rich and detailed systems simulation of the Super 80. Very little was mentioned about this. The ICTS training system was almost totally ommitted, and I wonder if even a few of the bugs the user had was because of specific sound drivers, or if they were bugs that have been addressed in patches in the Super 80 members area.Look, I am not trying to say things against what this particular reviewer finds important, however, I do wish it was far more in-depth, tested in DX9 conditions also, and had any updates applied from the very active Super 80 members area (which it may, I just do not know), and then give a full look in various modes of flight conditions, and going into specifics about the systems simulation.The fact that the review is so short does not give this product the proper justice in my opinion. There should be room for a much deeper examination of this product. It just looks like this review glances over the product, without really digging in. Many product reviews take weeks, and it just does not seem that this was done.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

While the review obviously represents this gentleman's opinion (as all reviews are representative of personal opinion), the end of the review mentioned something that stood out to me. In the Pros/Cons (Likes/Dislikes) section, the reviewer states:"No rain effects on the windshield, nor any reason to use the windshield wipers or the rain repellent."FSX has never had rain effects on the windshield for true FSX aircraft. This is not new, it has been this way since FSX was released and it is an issue with the game, not the MD-80. I have to ask, exactly how much experience with FSX does this reviewer have?

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

relax, the review is coming down and is going into a version 2.0 redo.The main things I'm going to do are review the patched version (didn't have access to the patches before, now i do) and do a bit more fleshed out version to truly do the aircraft justice. I personally didn't see the problems with this until it was brought up on the coolsky forum, and I have posted this there as well, The review IS coming down and will be redone by me to do the aircraft more justice. The main thing was my FSX kept crashing and BSODs kept happening so that prevented me from doing enough of a review. I'm pretty sure I fixed most of the crashing of FSX, if it keeps happening, I'm going to do a reinstall of FSX. The BSODs are from a faulty RAM module that I'm going to get replaced. I intend on really redoing the review, as I look at it now I realize it is below my standards and I intend on making things right.

Hi Jos,Peter agress with your comments, he has asked that we take the review down and he is going to go back and get the latest updates and redo the review as he also feels that he didn't do the whole package justice.

Not to change the subject, but I was just getting BSOD's all the sudden recently, not in FSX, but plain Windows.I ran a http://www.memtest86.com test, and one stick was completely bad. So it is has been RMA'd and it is going back to Crucial today!

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

Guest jlaine128

I think its clear that this review is not very well done and by the authors own admission was maybe rushed and not properly done. This may have been due to the problems with the authors computer hardware or unfamilar with FSX. The author does not mention how many FSX pay aircraft he has and is familar with, and the wiper comment would leave me to guess not much experience with FSX and after market aircraft.I like good honest independent reviews over the ones you sometimes see in magazines where they obviously get much money in advertising and they bias the review to keep the advertiser happy and mostly do as much as they can to get you to buy the product in the review. Not many reviews written in magazines have convinced me to purchase a product, but I have purchased several products after reading reviews here on AVSIM. I had already purchased this product prior to reading this review but I think it's fair that others reading this without knowing how poor this review is compared to how it should have been done by the authors admission is something I hope AVSIM does to correct. Thank you,John L.

actually, look at the aeroplane heaven p-38 as it has rain effects on the windshield, along with the fact that it can be programmed in using custom effects (at least to my knowledge). you see, SP2 removes the ability for animated bmps for rain, but there still are the effect files you can use to make the effect.

I personally ran a memtest using the ubuntu memory tester (yes i run a dual boot) and turns out at least 1 stick has 140+ errors on it. Once I can determine which sticks are the troublemakers, I'm gonna RMA them back to Corsair.Peter ClemenkoStaff Revieweravsimlogo-1.png

A version 2.0 of the review is in the works which I will correct a lot of things, as I realized after having this stuff pointed out, but a lot of the reason it was rushed was because of CTDs and BSODs, and that eventually frustrated me to the point of just snapping and saying eff it and rushing it. I don't intend on doing further review until I can RMA my RAM and get new sticks back from Corsair because apparently I'm getting a ton of errors on my RAM and it's causing blue screens beyond belief (at least once a day, usually more). The main problem I had with the review was that the computer crashed so much I couldn't complete a flight, even a regional hop, before a crash, and that's what caused me to snap, for that I apologize and I will redo the review with things updated and corrected, along with further fleshed out. I can't put a time frame on, as it depends a lot on my school schedule and when I can get RAM that works. While I would try to run it on the laptop, I'm pretty sure that that would qualify as insanity on a regular laptop.