Sign in to follow this  
Guest albertomolteni

Etienne Martin's review of the DA F70/100

Guest albertomolteni

Hi all,I just felt the need to pop over and say kudos to Etienne for his work on the DA Fokker. I am currently looking for a new addition to my FS hangar and I already had an eye on this product.I found the review to be very exhaustive, highlighting both strengths and weaknesses in a fair manner. The author's technical knowledge on flight sim's internals was also obvious. Best article I've read in quite a while, good job! :-beerchugThanks

Guest ziporama

Alberto,your kind words are appreciated.Best regards,Etienne MartinAVSIM staff reviewer

I agree, a good review of a very good sim. However I did notice a couple of technical errors.First, the reviewer referred to the Weather/Terrain Radar on several occasions. In fact the Terrain display is a completely separate system and not radar at all. It's part of the EGPWS and uses GPS position and a worldwide terrain database to show relative terrain height. DA combined the modelling of Weather Radar and EGPWS Terrain for convenience which may explain the confusion. In fact the Weather Radar includes a ground mapping feature (also featured in the sim) but the presentation is very different. I think DA deserve special praise for including EGPWS in their simulation. Only one other developer has so far (Leonardo) that I know of. Even PMDG haven't done so, and yet EGPWS is virtually standard these days (mandatory in many places). It should be being modelled by all developers.Secondly, the review mentions that the spoilers (known on this aircraft as lift-dumpers) cannot be used on approach, only on ground. Very true, but the Fokker 100/70 has a very effective tail-cone speedbrake for use in flight or on ground. It wasn't shown in the screenshots of landings, so perhaps the reviewer missed this feature (it's controlled by the standard "/" hotkey).The reviewer cricised DA for not including a VC, but DA are well on the way to adding one. It seems they decided to release the sim early (and at a discount) so enthusiasts could get their hands on the sim as soon as possible.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

>yet EGPWS is virtually standard these days (mandatory in many places). True, Even EMB-120's have it now.>The reviewer cricised DA for not including a VCI don't use VC, and I know many others don't as well, so this isn't a handicap for a large chunk of us.

Joe Sherrill

>I don't use VC, and I know many others don't as well, so this isn't a handicap for a large chunk of us.No matter if aeverybody uses VCs, they really should be standard in every ac by now. With devices like TrackIr available theese days, good VCs offer the most realistic simming now, nuch more realistic as all the hazzle with sub panels.I for myself will not buy the F70/100 package before the update with the VC is released.Cheers Wolfgang

>>I don't use VC, and I know many others don't as well, so>this isn't a handicap for a large chunk of us.>>>No matter if aeverybody uses VCs, they really should be>standard in every ac by now. >With devices like TrackIr available theese days, good VCs>offer the most realistic simming now, nuch more realistic as>all the hazzle with sub panels.>>I for myself will not buy the F70/100 package before the>update with the VC is released.>>Cheers WolfgangEven though it was initially offered without a VC at a reduced "early adopter" price? So you could have the Fokker 100/70 (without VC) now at a discounted price and get a free VC when this is released.That was too good an offer to miss for me!Producing a high quality VC takes time. I'm glad they launched initially without one.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

I have bought the 50 North 737 only because they promised that there will be a panel and a VC added. It never happened!I do not assume DA is as nonserious as 50North, but once bitten, twice cautious.Cheers Wolfgang