Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

Suspect Capt Sim 757 X review

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/review/capt757x.htmThe reviewer Kevin Glover states, "This was my first such airliner, and while I can't say I enjoyed the mass quantities of tedious script, I must say that I learned a lot, and hopefully this knowledge will leave me better prepared for similar packages I may fly in the future."While some might give him the benefit of the doubt, it is kind of tough to believe that they (Flightsim.com) would let someone review this package who has no experience with similar heavies (i,e. LDS767). What it hints to me is that they wanted a favorable review of this product (for future Capt Sim ad revinue purposes) without having to make the obvious comparison to the superior LDS brand.Kevin goes on to say, "While I can't compare this add-on to other similar packages as I don't have much experience with complex airliner simulations, I can only tell you what I think about the airplane itself. For that matter, I consider the Captain Sim 757 to be a highly legitimate competitor in the market of such high-intensity simulations."He's never had any experience with the LDS brand (or the PMDG 747 for that matter) but yet he says that the Captain Sim 757 is a highly legitimate competitor to such brands. Please! Don't insult my intelligence. Do you really think most serious flight simmers can't read between the lines?It just sounds a bit suspect to me. Anyone else?RH

I haven't read a game review in years, I don't think anyone really does any more either. It's slowly becoming the same for me when it comes to flightsim addons these days. I usually take a look at the screenshots and look to the forums for guidance.I do agree that someone who has no experience in this market niche should not be entrusted with reviewing such a product though. Playing around with a piece of software is one thing, but making a review, which may form a base for purchasing decisions is a completely another bag of tricks. While a direct comparison to the LevelD, Leonardo or PMDG offerings may not be warranted or even desirable from a review standpoint, the reviewer should be well acquainted with them, simply to be aware of what level is available in this market segment.

Hi,What always strikes me with FlightSim reviews is that they 'conveniently' provide a link to their online store with nearly every add-on they review ...I haven't checked for CS 757 but I'm pretty sure you can buy it in their store.Go figure...I take their reviews always with a grain of salt (or two..)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Let's see, reviews are basically opinions. The reviewer clearly disclaims his level of involvement with complex aircraft of the big iron type. No where do you post any facts of any duplicitious actions involving Flight Sim and Captain Sim, you just want to infer such actions.Reviewers are upaid in the community, though receiving the product might be construed as a form of compensation. There are too few reviewers, no matter their level of involvement with the sim. Therefore Mr. He, I might suggest you contact Flight Sim and volunteer your time and elevated level of involvement with the sim to do some review work.Once you have completed your first review, please prepare yourself for the sticks and stones that will be cast your way. All because someone will choose to attack you, solely for the purpose of puffing out their chest and parading around the community courtyard.

Hi,Well, I find it amazing that he says "I consider the Captain Sim 757 to be a highly legitimate competitor in the market of such high-intensity simulations."And yet he clearly states he has ZERO experience with the competitors offerings.It sounds more like a CaptainSim were not just about eye candy anymore ad than a review.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Here are some facts for you. Reviews are more than just opinions. Forum posts are opinions, so don't play dumb. The first question on everyone's mind is how does the Capt Sim 757 X compare to the current gold standards of complex PC flight simulation (the Level D and PMDG products). If you are correct and the only reviewer Flightsim.com could find to review the Capt Sim 757 X product was an individual with no experience with similar products, then shame on them! I don't care how desperate Flightsim.com is for reviewers, they should not have okayed an individual to complete a review on a type of product that he has no experience with and at the same time allowed a statement in the review that the Capt. Sim 757 X is a highly competitive product. What Flightsim.com and Capt. Sim have on their hands now is a highly positive review that bypasses the obvious qustion and, in turn, deceives the reader. RH

This refers to a review on Flightsim not on Avsim. I can't find any post yon this subject on the Flightsim forums. If you did post can you provide a link: if you didn't why not?

I asked if you had posted your comments in the Flightsim forums which would seem to be the obvious place. Your link is to the original review so I assume you didn't. why didn't you?

Of course, you can, if you feel a 'call' for it, write a review yourself.. if you have the product.I am happy to host any review om my site, even if you dont have it and are being guided with tell tale and screenshots, who often give a lot away.Anyhow, anyone can review.. but it depends on what the reviewer expects and want. That determines the review.JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE..http://www.jdserver.mine.nu/johanGlobal Logistics VAhttp://www.jdserver.mine.nu/va

Guest jshyluk

Which do you think is better:A reviewer who says what is on his or her mind, even if they like a product that you don't?A reviewer who tailors their review to match the percieved opinion of a certain vocal segment of readers to a niche hobby forum? It sounds to me that if you aren't in favour of the one, you are in favour of the other. I also think that a few folks are reading way too much into the situation. After all, it's not the national debt we are talking about. If you buy the product and you don't like it, how much are you really out? That being said, developers have a right to market products they feel the public will want to buy. If you don't want the product, then don't buy it.Interestingly enough, people do not have the right to say whatever they want about a product, company or service on a private Internet forum like AVSIM. It's a priviledge, not a right. It's best if you keep your criticisms constructive. If you cannot, then your privileges will be revoked. As for the experience level of the reviewer, well howdy, we all have to start somewhere, right? Of course, it seems like a good idea to criticise the experience level of a reviewer, someone you have never even met in person, even if you yourself have absolutely zero experience in writing reviews yourself, right? Anyone who wants to bash a reviewer based on experience has to step up to the plate first and swing the bat to see what it's really like. Then we can talk. Otherwise, in the words of one of our more illustruous citizens who shall remain nameless: "You're wasting my minutes!". I can assure you from personal experience, if you've never written a review and you are trying to explain how you think the reviewing process works, then you do not know what you are talking about, pure and simple. Do you want to disagree with a review? By all means. Do you want to disagree with a review that was published on another forum? Well, I suppose, although it strikes me as a geek thing to do (and this is from someone who is a Senior Reviewer, a Prince Of Geeks). But please, stick to what you know, don't let it get personal, be polite, and be constructive. Otherwise, we will make sure that you get to be a geek somewhere else, but not on AVSIM.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing ReviewerSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

mgh meant a link to a post of yours in the flightsim forums not a link to the review.Wolfgang

>Here are some facts for you. Reviews are more than just>opinions. Forum posts are opinions, so don't play dumb. The>first question on everyone's mind is how does the Capt Sim 757>X compare to the current gold standards of complex PC flight>simulation (the Level D and PMDG products). >>If you are correct and the only reviewer Flightsim.com could>find to review the Capt Sim 757 X product was an individual>with no experience with similar products, then shame on them!>I don't care how desperate Flightsim.com is for reviewers,>they should not have okayed an individual to complete a review>on a type of product that he has no experience with and at the>same time allowed a statement in the review that the Capt. Sim>757 X is a highly competitive product. >>What Flightsim.com and Capt. Sim have on their hands now is a>highly positive review that bypasses the obvious qustion and,>in turn, deceives the reader. >>RH>>We will probably have to disagree that reviews are based almost entirely upon opinion of the reviewer, not any sort of calculated formula structured to insure uniformity within a computer simulation.But I'm struck by your assertation of "The first question on everyone's mind is how does ..." How do you know this? Have you been appointed spokesperson for everyone? You're initial tirade criticizes the reveiwer, who IMO properly disclaims his background. Yet, you criticize the reviewer? Can you not expand the thought process to where it might be plausible that someone new to Flight Simming, wanting to fly something other than the "current gold standards of complex PC flight simulation (the Level D and PMDG products).", might find the review helpful?You, in your initial posting, make "not-so-veiled" accusations of improprieties between Flight Sim and Captain Sim. Using your term of "Here are some facts for you.", would you please provide the "facts" that make you accuse these two parties?And as pointed out by another above, why haven't you brought any of your concerns to the forums of the site that published the review?I appreciate that you may voice your opinion, but I seriously question what agenda you carry while attempting to express yourself.Hopefully I spelled everything correctly, as I wouldn't want you to think I was dumb or anything.