Sign in to follow this  

Bob Bernstein does it again!!

Guest Ken Meier

Find it here in the library, today's files. Bob's description says it all;File Description:The Chahalis river is seen flowing past my recent scenery called Elma Municipal Airport. (elma2k2.zip) It empties into Gray's harbor right next to Bowerman Field, still another of my uploads. (bman2k2.zip) This scenery provides photo-real terrain connecting these two projects. You'll be able to follow the river and freeways all the way from Elma to the coast, and see the towns of Montesano, Aberdeen, and Hoquiam along the way.This is approx 20 miles of photo-real scenery and Bob has done an awesome job. The name of the file is bow_elma.zip.This is a must-have if you installed Elma and Bowerman,Thanks Bob,Ken

Guest Lindy

I've got it.... I had to go and get Bowerman Field too!.... I installed them both (I already had Elma installed), and yes!! Excellent scenery. A great job, Bob. Bob, if you read this...... I simply put all three sceneries into one set of scenery/texture folders named "Elma" Everything seems to be fine. I have Greenwood's mesh as well as FSGenesis USA Landclass files. I think I can report that your sceneries work fine with the landclass.-Lindy :-rotor

Thanks Ken for the heads up about Bob's new scenery.Whenever I hear his name mentioned as author of some scenery, I know it will be amazingly good. I'm downloading it now...Howard

Hi Lindy, glad that the scenery works for you. I never thought of putting all three sceneries together. Its interesting, as I created a custom blend of the western lod13 grids in the ELMA scenery so that it could be used as stand alone, and then for the Chahalis River valley, I provided different versions of those same grids, to eliminate that blending and create a seamless transition. I didn't recommend your install in case the initial version of those grids would display. I'm not sure how I'd control which appeared! Glad in your case it worked out.Best,Bob Bernstein

Guest Lindy

I'm glad it worked out too, Bob! :-) But if it hadn't, I would have just scrapped the whole thing and started over. I keep ALL the zips I download in a safe place in case I ever need them again.The 3 sceneries seem to work well for me.... and I presume I'm seeing everything I SHOULD be seeing! :D Good job.-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Right on! There's that indefinable `feel` about Bob's scenery that only the best have - the overall impression is that it is more than the sum of its parts. Only the best planes, panels, sounds, scenery have that `X` factor. Well done Bob, luvverly job.ChasW

One has to closely examine the effort behind such an excellent piece of scenery. You will note that Bob has done an excellent job in scaling the photoreal to match the normal FS scenery. Not sure if this is one photo or sections. If the latter, again an excellent rendition without noticeable gaps.A very clever, and good looking, technique is allowing portions of the normal FS textures to come through at strategic points to represent forests. This allows the in-place autogen trees to show and avoids countless hours of placing trees. Bob also allows the FS water texture to appear but avoids the sandy beaches that Microsoft believes exist alongside all rivers. Similarly, he deals with coastlines to create real coasts. He also allows outlying portions of the photoreal to appear amongst the normal FS textures. I liked this touch.While on that portion of the scenery you will note considerable autogen items appearing. From my own experience it is quite tedious placing autogen (using SDK tool) items onto dozens of texture sections. Lots of work here. Very effective.One has to view photoreal from altitude (3000ft agl) to appreciate the effect. With Bob's scenery you not only have the typical photoreal view but also an ample sprinkling of autogen buildings that results in a visual effect that is as close as you can get to reality with FS. I placed all BGLs in a single scenery folder along with all textures in a single texture folder(airports & photoreal). I am using the FS Genesis Landclass and the FS Genesis 38 meter mesh. The elevations seemed to work out well with no waterways or roads climbing hills in an odd and unbelieveable fashion. I found better frame rates viewing photo real with mip-mapping off while frame rates improved with it on viewing normal FS scenery.Given the obvious success of Bob's work one can hopefully look forward to being able to fly over areas you may never visit in person. MS flyers will have the pleasure, at a reasonable cost, of seeing portions of the world that otherwise would have been unavailable in a dynamic flight environment.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi, just wanted to say thanks to Bob for his excellent work. However, has anyone created a new AFCAD file for Bowerman Field, because parking spots don't line up anymore? Unfortunatly, I'm clueless about making AFCAD files.