Sign in to follow this  
Guest cavscout74

Admiral Kuznetsov & Su-33 Naval Flanker review

Guest cavscout74

I want to start off by saying the review wasn't bad, but there were a few comments I'd like to make, both good & bad:1: "Unfortunately, the flight loaded a Cessna, as do they all. I wonder why Alphasim opted to do this, as I would much rather have the Su-33 in a cold and dark state sitting there once my flight loaded. On top of this, I found the ATC screen to be squashed up against the side of the screen and both com radios tuned to the deck (tower) frequency, thus creating an echo effect."I do agree with this. I found it very, very odd. I don't even know how they got the ATC screen squashed like that. On the other hand, its easy enough to set up your own flights, which I usually do anyway.2: "It seems to me that the way the flight dynamics have been programmed allow for 3

Guest jshyluk

Oh, my, you just pushed one of my hot buttons with that point #8, although I hope you mean well. Speaking entirely for myself, and not on the behalf of any other Avsim reviewers, or our esteemed Editor, there's really only one way to answer point #8:Hopefully, you have read the frequent calls for new reveiwers for Avsim? It's an unbelievably fun way to expand your MSFS hobby and hopefully help out other readers at the same time. Certainly, if you are a fan of the fast jets, you should consider trying out as a volunteer reviewer! We need all the fast jet fans we can get! Developers are pushing their teams to the firewall to get new products out for FSX, and we reviewers can only look at so many titles. I would love to be able to review all of the great add-ons I see, but there's only so much time and energy I can devote to MSFS. I would love to be the most complete expert possible on all of the things that I review, but again, time, energy, and outside forces compel me just to do the best I can, to research as far as time allows into the things I don't know so much about, and to try as hard as I can to write clear sentences. The amazing thing is that many of our reviewers are complete and total experts in aviation. If you come out to the Convention in Seattle and meet some of us, you will hear the most incredible flying stories, guaranteed. The Avsim community has shown to be over the years a truly wonderful and helpful family of like-minded flight-simmers, but to get the full meal deal, you will want to sign up as an Avsim volunteer and get to know us in person. You will never work with a better group of people! Well, there we go, that's just my opinion, and it may or may not represent any actual official opinion Avsim has on this or any other matter -- although in this case, I hope it does.Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Guest PilatusTurbo

Very well put, Jeff. I read that and thought, I couldn't put it better. The part about just putting sentences together effectively, so true. :) Haven't gotten to know you or any of the other reviewers, but it seems I should.Cheers

Guest cavscout74

I had wondered if the shortage of volunteers & flood of new products was the culprit on that one. And for the record, I didn't mean any harm with my point #8. I was just thinking "out loud" on that one. As I said, the review was well written, just a little lacking in experience. I also spend a good bit of time on Alphasim's forums, and picked up some more info than Mr. Clark had access to - like the point about the brakes being used to simulate the ground restraint. But that is one of the nice things about MSFS: it has something for almost everyone. I personally don't have much interest in cruising an airliner up in the flight levels, and wouldn't have the slightest clue if an addon airliner was worth the price or not. "Hopefully, you have read the frequent calls for new reveiwers for Avsim?"I might be interested, however I don't have FSX and probably won't for a long time to come, so that kind of limits what I could contribute.

Guest mulletman
The amazing thing is that many of our reviewers are complete and total experts in aviation
I have to admit that my current real world flying logbook is at 0 hours. Whether or not this is a good thing for FS reviewing or a bad thing is an entirely different story.Anyway,Hey, cavscout74.Thanks for your input; your feedback is very much appreciated.On the point of number 8 - There is another way of looking at it. FS offers so many possibilities. The fact that we can fly a Su-33, then land it at Heathrow before departing again in a 767 is, I believe what makes the hobby so compelling. So as a heavy fan, a trip out in something capable of Mach 2 is different. Someone with months of experience flying Tornados and Eurofighters will have almost certainly written a very different review. I suppose it

Guest cavscout74

"If the brakes are for the ground restrain (and forgive me if I

The highlight of the Denver conference was the full motion sims that Delta made available to the fans at a reduced cost per hour. As AVSIM staff members, we got to fly some of the empty slots.I've never piloted a heavy from take off to landing in real life but I have done so in FS9 (the MSFS at the time). In Denver, I flew Delta's A320 and B767. I've flown these in FS9 and I can say that learning the necessary buttonology and intricacies in the cockpit in the flight sim world sure helped me in the "real" cockpit. I accumulated over 5000 hrs as a "backseater" in various Canadian Air Force aircraft, and the only time I got "sticktime" was when I could convince the pilot to give up control, particularly during the long point A to point B flights. While yes, I was actually flying the plane, most of it was straight and level, or following the waypoints. Not much cockpit management.So in conclusion, I personally found my simming experience a great help when I got behind the controls of a real heavy and flew an actual round-robin SFO-SFO.