Sign in to follow this  
Bugdriver

Mark Kolo's "Twin Otter X - A Different Kind Of "Review...

I would like to comment on Mark Kolo's review, mostly on the procedures that he used during his "flights" to St.Barth's and Saba.The two airports are not closed but are restricted, meaning special training is required before pilots can arrive and depart from these aerodromes. As well, in the real world, Winair pilots would never go to 3500' to St.Barth's or Saba. The special procedures for St.Barths require aircraft to transit at 1000' or 1500' depending on direction of travel, and squawk 2000 for identification by radar services at Juliana. The charts for the french islands can be found athttp://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/htm...eset_aip_uk.htmThe airspace between the islands and St. Maarten is very busy at times as the commuter traffic shuttles passengers to Juliana to connect with the overseas flights, thus the requirement for these special procedures.Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate the charts for the Netherland Antilles on line. I don't have any subscriptions to on line resources like Jeppesen, which would have these procedures for Juliana and Saba.If anybody knows where free charts are avialable, please pass the web address along!

Guest captmjk

Thanks for enlightening me on those procedures. I just estimated what the transit altitudes would be based on distance and gliding capablity for over water flights. I also factored in the altitudes for the airliner arrival procedures to deconflict the airspace. I seem to have the opposite problem of you: I cannot find many charts for Barths and Saba. I have them for TNCM, and a limited chartset for Barths (No en route charts at all). I will use those procedures for all my future flights. Thank you for the french island charts, they will come in handy for the future. I do know of the restrictions on Barths and Saba, and i definatel practiced with other STOL aircraft (Cub, Husky, and up to a 172) before taking the twotter over there for the review flights. I do not recall the url for the TNCM or TFFJ charts that i used so I cannot help you there, but if i come across them, I will let you know.