Sign in to follow this  
ErnieAlston

World Airlines from Overland Japan Ltd

I think the comparisions this review makes are a little off the mark.I disagree with the view this product would not appeal to intermediate users. It definitely would appeal to them as other 'Lite' type products and appeal to intermediate users. There are many intermediate users who although they could handle the setup process for the more detailed models but find it tedious and may not want to go through it every single flight. These Lite type of products offer them an less tedious way to fly during the times they do not wish to deal with such things as engine starts and FMS route loading.This Overland product is a 'Lite' product, its marketed and sold as such, so why is it in the review being compared to high detail expensive products such as PMDG, LDS,PSS, Flight1 etc ? Its not anywhere near those products price range. They are not asking $80 for one plane/cockpit, Overland is asking $70 for about 8 plane/cockpits.It should be compared to other 'Lite' products such as Aerosim's Classic Liners , or Perfect Flights products, or Commercial Level Simulations etc. Those are other 'Lite' category products Overland should be compared to, not PMDG and LDS, and Wilco.Compare the Overland 777 in this package at approx $9 US, to Perfect Flights 777 package at $37 US. That's a huge difference for two models in roughly the same category.Also some things you mention as negatives I don't agree are negatives.A VC cockpit of 'average quality' for this price per aircraft is not a negative. Again we must consider the relatively 'low' price of this product. To have an average VC in a low priced product is a positive , not a negative.And you have 'doubts' about the quality of the VC ? What doubts can you have ? did you not have the actual product in front of you to examine for yourself? Perhaps I just don't understand what you meant ?Also you say there are "freeware VC's of these aircraft of the same quality and sometimes even higher". I'd sure like you to tell me where those freeware VC's are. Cause I looked far and wide and have yet to find a freeware B777 with a VC. I did find only one freeware MD11 with a VC, and it was 'Overlands' freeware version. There's really only a small number of freeware aircraft that have VC's. A testament to how much effort it takes to produce any sort of Virtual Cockpit.Also the lack of an FMS, is not a negative. Again consider the very low price per cockpit. Name another product in this price per cockpit market that has a FMS. You won't find one, so why is it a negative that this product does not have an FMS ?The same goes for a fuel planner, those are features you only see in the high end expensive products. No-one expects all these things and all these aircraft models for such a low price per Cockpit.No doubt this overland product is giving quantity over quality, and I think it is fair that you have pointed out this products many limits in your review. But it should have been emphasized more that this products quantity over quality comes at a very much discounted price.I'll end with a positive comment. It was good to see a lot of good quality screenshots in the review, I think it gives the reader a real good idea what quality and detail they would be getting should they choose to buy the product.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest campe127

Hello Ernie,Thanks for "your" personal point of view.I do appreciate others input or vision, but keep in mind, a review is written by an individual with his/here own standard, impression and expectations, all in relation to price versus quality (complexity).That we mark this product for different users, no problem and therefore we're all different persons, but I think and probably the most important thing is to give "potential" buyers an objective idea or if you wish "advice", what this product offers.Kind regards,Angelique van Campen

With all due respect, I think Ernie hit the mark with his comments! The target user for these products are different then PMDG and LDS. Comparing it to those steller products, is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Mercedes or Lexus. Not a fair comparison at all. It should have been compared to the product of it's own type, such as the ones Ernie mentioned. Aerosim etc...not a Mercedes (PMDG, LDS). When was the last time you saw a consumer report review scored on a comparison between a economy item and a luxury item?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Pro-Sim

I think you are both being a little harsh. It was a good all round review that covered the essence of this product.Price point is very relevent as you have both pointed out, however, price does not negate the need to cover some comparison points with similar (similar in this contect could mean aircraft type) offerings, including the complex sims.For example, I personally detest these ultra 'lite' offerings that are flooding the add-on market. Being able to market the wonders of a 'lite' add-on has become, in some cases, simply an excuse for a poor product that does not meet the benchmark of expectations in terms of feature set, or quality of the features that are provided.It was important in Angelique's review that she DID point out how far away this Overland product is from the offering from people like PMDG, Level D, etc. In doing this, Angelique made it clear that this product probably would not appeal to people who enjoy a realistic simulation, as opposed to a simple default-like model with a "CTRL+E and off you go" feature set.I not intending to sound like I am having a go at Overland as I love their sceneries and own all their Japan sceneries. I just **Personally** feel all these 'lite' offerings are pulling the serious FS hobby towards the games market.And I feel it was relevent for this review to illustrate the gaping chasm in quality and features between the reviewed product and some of the more complex offerings.David.

>Price point is very relevent as you have both pointed out, however, >price does not negate the need to cover some comparison points with >similar (similar in this contect could mean aircraft type) offerings, >including the complex sims.When you pay a premium price, it is reasonable to expect certain premium details and features. But it is un-reasonable to pay a much lower price and still expect the same premium details and features.So in that vein it is indeed unfair to compare features in the complex add-ons that one should not reasonably expect to be included in a much lower priced product.As Tom pointed out, its not fair to compare a Volkswagen to a Mercedes. You compare a Volkswagen to a Ford or a Toyota.So price does indeed negate some comparisions, and IMO they should not be made.Angelique did however fairly compare features in freeware products to this product.It is perfectly reasonable to expect features included in freeware add-ons to be in a payware/commercial product.>And I feel it was relevent for this review to illustrate the gaping >chasm in quality and features between the reviewed product and some >of the more complex offerings.This would appear something that would be more appropriately covered in a separate article on the state of FlightSim add-ons rather than a review of one particular product.Though it does not appear Angelique was making such an illustration in this particular review.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg