Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Nicholson KMFR

Which weather is best??

FSMeteo has been with the flight simming community for some time. Marc has done an OUTSTANDING job for support of the community. The aloft winds that cover the entire world are exact in FSMeteo with ActiveSky has to date not achieved. I have both programs for analysis purposes. At this date FSMeteo coupled with FS Sky World is at this moment just superior IMHO. Damian and Marc are both very talented guys that contribute much to the FS world. It is almost not fair to pit them against each other, but again IMHO FSMeteo is a much more stable and tested program and is worth every penny that Marc has asked for it.This is a test of the concept of compettive development, look for FSMeteo to offer capabilities not yet available by anyone very soon. I am testing some of them right now.CheersBob Johnson

ActiveSky wxREFirst time I loaded it up I went to my local runway. And wow! I looked out of my bedroom window and then back at my machine I was looking at the same thing. It was foggy and raining out and that is exactly what FS2002 had.Sweet!:-)

Hi all.I do not mean this to sound cynical or sarcastic... but... what is wrong with FS2002 "Weather"? Am I missing something better? I guess that I just don't have any basis to compare FS "weather" with other sims, whereas they are all different in their own unique way. A few things that I would like to see in "Weather" is golfball-sized hail that can really **** you up, if you fly into it, instead of over it - lol :(What would be cool is to time the "weather"; for instance, have hail for a few minutes, then have it turn into snow, then fizzle out into rain.Just some ideas (not that anybody really cares).One more stupid question (I have never really noticed): When it rains, etc., does FS simulate a wet, slippery runway, even though you don't see that it is wet? I wouldn't know... I rarely make it back on the runway; my landings suck! lol

Where do I get this "ActiveSky" thing..?Thank you,Stanley

I have been using FSMeteo for long but now run ActiveSky wxRE. Take a look at this thread (http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID81/442.html) to see what's coming. Here you find some more detail: http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/activeskywxre.htm. Though there still are some issues left, Damain is addressing them all nicely. He is very supporting and commited. Don't get me wrong, Marc (FSMeteo) did/does the same with FSMeteo. But I've got the feeling Damian is a real 'weather nerd' which sure shows during the use of ActiveSky. Worldwide winds aloft is coming up, intelligent weather changes (based on real meteorological rules) is implemented, working wake turbulence (cool!) is there, and so on. Again, read on above mentioned sites to make up your mind.I'm using ActiveSky wxRE since it's here....

Guest GalacticCowboy

Well, if nothing else he at least knows what the "big 2" are now... lolI use ActiveSky wxRE, but I used to use the shareware FSMeteo. I'm cheap - it came down to price. :)

This thread reminds me of the TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING debate (if you haven't seen American beer commercials, you won't understand that joke).The point is, they are similar products offering slightly different perks and the user should decide what is more important to them rather than trying to generalize which program is better. They are both good programs.Bruce