Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft Renames Upcoming Flight Simulator

Guest BrianC

REDMOND, Wash. - Feb. 19, 2003 - Microsoft today announced that their upcoming flight simulator, "Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Flight", will be renamed. Because of sound arguments by aviation historians that humans have in fact been flying for hundreds of years, Microsoft will instead be calling the new version of their popular Flight Simulator series of games "Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Powered, Sustained, Controlled Flight"."When we made the original announcement that 'A Century of Flight' would be released in conjunction with the historical milestone of the invention of powered flight, we did not expect the response we got from aviation history experts," said Bruce Williams, product planner at Microsoft Aces Studios. "Because we want to make the most accurate representation of aviation history possible, we have chosen to rename the product."Williams says that while they will not expand the list of aircraft included with the product, the rich development toolkit provided to users will allow third party developers to add their own aircraft that represent flight before the Wright Brothers' famed powered flight at Kitty Hawk.Availability"Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Powered, Sustained, Controlled Flight" will be available on PC at leading retailers nationwide including Best Buy, Electronics Boutique and Circuit City Stores Inc. in July 2003 for an estimated retail price of $54.95 (U.S.)* and is rated "Teen."About Microsoft Game StudiosMicrosoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the PC, Xbox video game system and online platforms. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse game portfolios for the PC (http://www.microsoft.com/games/), including such franchises as "Flight Simulator, "Age of Empires

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Rated teen? :-roll

Guest IanK

Surely they meant to say:"Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Powered, Sustained, Controlled Flight into Terrain" but the box would have to be made bigger and that would cost too much.But we can still call it MS-CFIT!Pity it can't be delayed till April Fool's Day 2004.Ian

Are you serious? Do you guys realize how incredbily dumb that would be? Yeah... it makes SENSE, but I mean... *scoffs* lol this is just too funny... well, whatever they end up calling it, I"m buying it no matter what.

"Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Powered, Sustained, Controlled Flight"OK, what will they put on the box cover?Columbia space shuttle?Why not just name it "Flight Simulator 9"?:-8

First of all why are they bothered by what people say or think anyway. Everyone knows that no matter what you do someone's got something to complain about. The worst thing they could do is give this sim a $250 handle like that. I'd vote for either "FS09" or "Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Powered Flight" and be done with it. They can't argue about that, no one had motors on wings back in the 17/1800s. I wish people would just shut up and enjoy.....

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Bill Kunert

If this is serious and not a joke, this correctness stuff is totally out of control. Microsoft named it 'a century of flight' not 'the century of flight' and included aircraft coveing the last hundred years. Makes perfect sense to me, no need to change it. This is probably something coming from France. They are opposed to all things American.Bill

I think it's a joke guys don't worry :)Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Yeah guys, it's a joke. Time to relax.He did a good job of writing it to make it sound official, but there's no link to an actual press release and if you go to the MS site, the FS Insider site or the Official FS2002 site there's no mention of changing the name.If it was an official press release you'd think it would be on the front pages of AVSIM and the other flight simulator sites by now, not just in this single post.Hehe...it's pretty funny tho'.

Guest Dominique

> This is probably something coming >from France. They are opposed to all things American. How did you guess ? besides being anti-american we do our best to be sneaky too. But you're smart I see, you uncovered our french conspiracy ...:-lolno offence taken : here's a beer :-beerchugDominique

Yeah....uh...right...it better be a joke....And if its not- and will be called "Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Powered, Sustained, Controlled Flight - I mean seriously, why dont we just call It "Microsoft Flight Simulator: Over One Hundred Years of flying through the air on Earth in sustained flight in multiple new and old aircraft over any virtual terrain and auto generated terrain 2004 "Its a joke, Brian why would you do that :-lol , you got some of use good though :D :-kewl