Sign in to follow this  

#4 RTW Race Thread #4

Everyone,Baton is Free... just landed at WPDLWill publish shots in a short whileRegardsFrancisco Leit

Baton in Hand:Route: WPDL to YTST (Truscott, Australia) touch 'n Go, then on to WRKK, El TariETE: 1:54Roger 'n out.HawkeyezPS: I'm up and outta here.

Guys, So here is the debriefing:What promised to be a 2 hour flight turned into a 2H35 flight between WAMT and WPDL (Dili). Cruisin' at 26000ft most of the trip all i could see was clouds below, what din't promise much for the arrival. After our turbulent descent, early made to prevent any mishaps, we started looking for the island of Timor and a short while after in the middle of the mist there it was. Avoiding the terrain, we shortly after found the runway, in a perfect little stretch of land that looked like saying "Hey, it's Here!" With an agressive METAR for a summer's day we came down safely on runway 26 after a rather crabbed approach and 1014 Kgs of fuel Spent.WPDL 200100Z 30014KT 9999 FEW014 SCT080 OVC120 28/25 Q1007 RERAHope the images go with the message, as i've never done this before :@It was fabulous to participate on this... ThanksRegardsFrancisco Leit

Touch 'n Go at Truscott...I've hit the tarmac and back up again. I came down a little too fast and had to bleen a ton of speed off before putting the wheels down.Headin' fer WRKK now at best possible speed.Hawkeyez

It's okay to prepare, and you can even say that you want the baton for a certain flight. It's just that saying that does nothing as far as I am concerned; someone could beat you to it and I would have to let them have it, in the interest of fairness.

Great stuff. Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hmmm...I wonder if I could have landed at Troughten Island and counted that as Australia....??Would have saved some time doing that. Oh well, my oops.Hawkeyez

Matt,I guess that we've been preparing a pilot to be sure to have someone ready to take the baton each time. The "bargain" in the preparation is that we might expect that pilot to go if he is ready at the moment the previous flight touches down.No reservation, of course. Note well that we have been making determinedly good progress because we have been consistent in our coordination. :-hahAll flying against the prevalent headwinds and giving up 24 hours' head start.dcc is now standing at WRKK. He's been waiting for two days to get a chance to fly this leg. While there are no reservations, we might each cooperate and give him a chance to grab the baton for which he has been waiting.We should have someonn "volunteer" for the leg that starts about 2 hours after Hawkeyez lands and dcc takes off. Is that OK by the rules?Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Matt,Does this interpretation mean that we have to "touch" the mainland of each contintent? (Presumably, touching Sparta rather than Crete is necessary for a "Europe" landing, right?) Seems the right decision.BTW. Thanks for organizing the event this time.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Down safe and sound. Baton is up for grabs.Hawkeyez