Sign in to follow this  

#4 RTW Race Thread #4

Guest dcc

touchdown! The baton is free at WRSJpictures coming soon- dcc

Rolling :)Winds look to be lighter at FL250 so I'll be climbing out to that FL.Looks like ETA approx 0803Z 1403 localWoodreau.

Jeroen,Hmmm. Haven't thought that far ahead. Appreciate the temptation to jump grand distances over water. But we are meant to keep to a 2 hour limit where possible. I wonder if we can get a ruling from Matt Smith on this issue. (It looks as if the Flightsim team is faced with the same dilemma when they are thinking of gettting to South America from Australia. They can do so only by stretching vastly the 2 hour limit--making several 1000+ flights.)Here is an alternative idea. From Sri Lanka, fly to Porbandar (VAPR), just northwest of Mumbai. (This will take two 500 nm flights.) Then cross over the Arabian Sea to Masirah Island (OOMA)--a flight of only 604 nm.Best of luck in your interviews coming up today. Look forward to touching base with you in a few hours. (I, too, must disappear. To sleep here in Chapel Hill, and then off to work in the morning.)Bona fortuna...Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest dcc

flight report:WRKK to WRSJ 668nm as the crow flies, though not many crows fly at 400 mph ground speed at 22k. Weather was perfect, hardly any winds and just a few clouds. Aircraft performed nicely, even though I pushed the turbos and Allisons pretty hard (most of the way 49in MP, 2900 rpm). They were sure glad to throttle back when I was put into pattern. I could have landed about 3 minutes earlier, but some slow-poke C172 was taking its sweet time getting off the runway so tower had me go around. pics:http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/ggap1.gifhttp://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/ggap2.gifhttp://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/ggap3.gifhttp://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/gggps.gifthis was great fun! Thanks!Go Team AVSIM!!!- dccPS may be time to make a new thread...

Woodreau,Looking good.Now, anyone ready for the 0830Z flight from WIPP? Remember, we are talking about flying to a little island (VOCX) just off the northern tip of Sumatra and then crossing the Bay of Bengal to Sri Lanka. (See planning discussion just above this subthread.) Your own flight plan is up to you--so let's figure out the quickest way to get to Europe.Remember, no absolute reservations. But we are looking for someone to be awaiting Woodreau when he lands. Engines ticking over and flightplan loaded!Volunteers?Let's keep the baton moving along...Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I was speaking in jest when talking about cutting across the IO like that.The route I was thinking of follows the Indian coast until a point where we can cross to Masirah or Seeb in 2-3 hours over water.Basically just fly for 2 hours along the coast and then pick the first available runway that's long enough :-lolPilots remember when the time comes we MUST NOT cross into Iraqi airspace at any time.

Currently over the Java Sea, 250nm to WIPP (Palembang) (about 50 mins left to go ETA still 0803Z / 1403 local ) still at FL250. Winds are light 266/10kts Getting about 289kt over ground, 198kts indicated..Just in case anyone's interested FS is heading to VGJR right now I think they are trying to reach Australia by morning.Woodreau

10 minutes out descending thru 5000ft 44nms from WIPP.Started receiving Palembang VOR at 171nm and Palembang NDB at 70nmsWinds have picked up as I descended so my new ETA is now more like 0806Z (3 minutes late)Woodreau

Fllight was pretty uneventful, a nice jaunt over the Java Sea at FL250, winds were pretty light, although lower they were up to 25-30kts, so I climbed out high to avoid the headwinds. At 30000 the headwinds were down to 2 kts, but I didn't think I could climb that high.Pretty much firewalled the throttles, was able to get about 285-290kts over ground.Started descent at 1000fpm at 133 miles out but kept the throttles firewalled, got the ground speed up to 300-310kts. for the next 60 miles or so. Once I descended into the lower altitudes, the headwinds increased and I shoulda stayed high and do the dive down to the deck.Leveled out at 2500ft about 10 miles from the airport, slowed from 240kts to 120kts, kicked in the approach flaps, intercepted the localizer and glideslope for 29. and brought her in.To my surprise at the outer marker no airport in sight. Well maybe I'll see it when I get closer. At the middle marker at 200ft AGL, no airport, I see airport buildings, and a Learjet, but no runways, taxiways, etc. Maybe I didn't install the scenery for Indonesia? I don't know.But Landed on the runway according to the GPS. This was fun. Thanx guysWoodreau

Crap, I loaded FS and positiond my C421 at WIPP. I came back to post a reply and Lufthansa_835 beat me to the baton though. Maybe I can get a leg in tomorow.I don't have a runway or taxiways at WIPP either.

Lufthansa_835,Are you the same Lufthansa_835 that was participating in the Flightsim RTW discussions about flying in a P-51D? (I see your discussions there, but I am not sure that you flew for that team.)If you are eligible for the AVSIM group, then you are very welcome here.I cannot help but notice that you are flying away from our discussed route. The pilot in charge has the right to set the route. Great.But please note that we are trying to set up a flight across the Bay of Bengal from WITT or VOCX all the way to Sri Lanka (VCCB or VCBI). Going all the way around Malaysia, Burma, Bangladesh and then the northern Indian subcontinent is the wrong way to go!Or at least, it will delay the AVSIM team for many many hours.(Please take a gander at the thread just above this one entitled: "This Morning's Flight Plan to Sri Lanka--Thoughts". If you sincerely believe that going north is faster, then please show why that is true.)I realize that you've had the baton for an hour now. Any chance of thinking about diverting to WMKK (Kuala Lumpur)? That would put WITT within range of the next pilot's two-hour flight.Thanks for thinking about all this.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

someone,Are you still around for the next leg? We are still waiting to hear from Lufthansa_835. (In any case, he seems to have taken off in an unsual direction. We are trying to cross the Bay of Bengal from WITT to VCBI) as a quicker way to proceed. He's headed up the Malay Peninsula.(Yes, I have no runway at WIPP either.) FS2002 is not exactly bug-free.Are you a possible volunteer? We'd love to have you.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1