Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stompy

FS2K2 Real World Weather Download Problem

Hello Gentlemen.I am having a problem with my FS2K2 Realworld weather. IT is not downloading basically. I have Norton antivirus 2003 and I have told it to accept the download, and it will let it after about to clicks of the ok button. When it starts to download it goes to 1% and at the same time it sitches back to the desktop. After several minutes it will still say 1% and that is all. Also, I have AOL 8.0 could this be a problem? Anyways, any help or comments will be so greatly appreciated.Cheers,Joseph M."If I have seen further than others, it's because I was standing on the shoulder of giants."

Guest Stompy

Is it possible to disable NAV 2003 so it doesn't scan ANY files in the background? That's always a really good thing to do when playing any games anyway. I've got NAV at home but I don't remember what version exactly it is. I don't think it's 2003, but I just right-click the system tray icon & choose disable scanning. Then when I'm done playing I re-enable it again.I don't think AOL is the culprit, but maybe the designers of the program have information specifically about AOL. I assume Realwold weather is actually a 3rd party app and you're not talking about the built-in weather downloading feature of MSFS?

IT is the built in Realworld device from FS2002. I will try disabling the NAV and see if it will work.Cheers,Joseph M."If I have seen further than others, it's because I was standing on the shoulder of giants."

Guest Stompy

Oh, then that might not be the solution. Are you running personal firewall software by any chance?I seem to recall having or reading about that problem, but of course I can't remember what the solution was...I'll keep thinking.

Guest Stompy

Ah, and that's what you were telling to "allow" the download. Is it possible the firewall is still blocking it? Not that I recommend staying online without a firewall, but try shutting it down completely and see if FS can download the weather then.Also, try running FS in windowed mode if you can and then try grabbing the weather. Maybe a dialog box is popping up that then vanishes when the display redraws.

Thanks Stompy, If I fix the firewall before and after the download it works perfectly thanks for your help!!!Cheers,Joseph M.

Guest Stompy

No problem, I'm glad it's working!I've never used NAV firewall, but if it's giving you problems, I highly recommend ZoneAlarm from zonelabs.com. It's so easy to use, that to configure the firewall so a program can access the Internet you just answer yes to the popup window that appears. It doesn't care (as a general rule, but there are exceptions) what port the information is coming back on or anything. All it cares is that the program trying to go online has permission from you. It handles all the other stuff automatically. In other words, it works perfectly with FS and the realweather downloads. And it's free for personal use. Which doesn't actually help you much since you've already paid for NAV, but keep it in mind as an alternative if NAV keeps giving you trouble. :-)