Sign in to follow this  
Wilson

Uh, oh. Now I've gone and done it.

The 29.42 drivers is great, according to a recent thread. Not wanting to be left behind, I just dumped my 42.30 driver (which was working fine) to see if I could improve frame rates.Well, after installing the 29.42 driver (yes, I used detonator destroyer), my Ti 4200 just shut down. I got the initial FS2k2 splash screen, lots of disk activity and then everything went black. A hard reboot was necessary to get back in. So I checked dxdiag (using v 9) and it showed no problems with DirectDraw or Direct3D.So I decided to uninstall everything using detonator destroyer and reinstall the 42.30. I might not be as fast as everyone else, but that driver had been working fine, with no blurries. Well, now I get the blue screen after the splash screen that says "An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0059D2D in VxD ---" etc., then the sytem freezes. I tried rebuilding the config file for FS2k2, but no luck.Keep in mind that it was working fine and that I have not made any other changes to the hardware or the software.Anybody have any suggestions?Thanks in advance for any help,Wilson

Forgot to mention . . .I also reinstalled FS2k2, but got the same results when I launched the program.Wilson

You might want to remove (uninstall) the 4200 in Device Manager and then reboot. The 4200 should be redetected and the default drivers loaded (VGA for Win98 or the 29.58's for WinXP). Assuming it boots OK then you'll be able to reinstall the newer drivers. Lastly, once the drivers are loaded OK, reinstall DirectX.TripPS: Don't use Detonator Destroyer if you're running XP.

Trip,Thanks for the suggestions, but they didn't work.What's odd is that every other graphic-intensive program seems to run fine. 3dMark2001SE and even 3DMark2003 run fine. So there has to be something specific about launching FS2k2k that is causing my problem.Anyone else have any ideas?Wilson

Guest Tim W

I get that blue screen with the VXD_ _ _ error once in every 7 or so start ups of FS2002. Always have had, don't know why. I just re-boot and try again and it's usually fine for the next few start ups. I have no idea why this random VXD error occurs. I know it's a Virtual Device Driver issue but there's never enough info to find what's causing it. Can be extremely frustratingAm running an AMD1.7XP with a GEF3 T1-200 64mb card and 30.82 drivers. Changing drivers makes no difference. I've tried power off boot ups and then run FS but the problem still remains. I always reboot the computer before I start FS and it also makes no difference.Sorry I don't have an answer, I'm not even sure there is one.RegardsTim

Guest JTWhite

I seem to recall being hit by this problem some time ago....Try running the "system file checker" and see if it shows you have any corrupted system files.If it does, just reinstall them from your Win98 CD.Im not sure if that's what I had, but you might give it a try. You setup is almost exactly the same as mine.John White

Guest Rob

Detonator Destroyer is NOTHING. Don't use it. To CORRECTLY uninstall nVidia drivers, go to your windows desktop, right-click and click Properties .. then Settings .. then Advanced .. then Adapter .. then Properties .. then Driver .. then Uninstall. When prompted to reboot (TWICE), DON'T. Click no each time and go back to Windows Desktop. Go to Control Panel / Add-Remove Software, nVidia Display Drivers. Uninstall these here. THEN reboot when prompted.Install the NEW drivers, and reboot again.This should be the mini-definitive guide to uninstalling detonators.

Hmmm, not sure why my text didn't get posted on my last reply to John.Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, John. I haven't found any corrupted system files.It does appear that the problem is in the FS2k2 folder. I just created a new folder and installed FS2k2 there. As a fresh install, it works fine. So that leads me to think that something has gotten corrupted in the old FS2k2 folder.I guess the only solution is to copy each subfolder from the old to the new until I find which one is causing the problem. With all of the add-ons over the years, I sure hate to try to reinvent my version!I may not get flying again until FS2k9 or FS9 or Century of Non-Inverted Powered Flight.Still open to any other suggestions,Wilson

Rob,Thanks for responding. Not sure that I have ever met anyone quite as emotional about Detonator Destroyer :-lol , but I appreciate your help.Since I don't have half of the features that you are suggesting that I use after opening "Properties", and since you are so opposed to DD, I'm guessing that your operating system is not the same as mine -- Windows 98SE. But I'm gonna file your recommendations, just in case I ever have to downgrade to XP ;-) .Since my post didn't go through, you couldn't have known that a fresh install is working fine. That leads me to believe that it is not a systems problems, but probably something corrupt in my FS2k2 folder.Again, thanks for your enthusiastic support. If you can think of anything else for me to try, please let me know.Wilson

FS is notorious for being fickle about recognising new hardware. Delete or rename the FS2002.cfg file, then launch FS2002. It will create a new default FS2002.cfg and you will need to make al the tweaks again (but you can copy many over from the renamed version) but its still quicker than reinstalling.Chas

Chas,Yep. That was my first attempt to correct the problem -- delete fs2002.cfg. Made no difference at all. I thought for sure that I would be back up and going. There must be some other .ini or .cfg file that is called early in the process that is causing the problem. But I have checked them all based on creation date (since this just started happening out of the blue) and can't find a problem.Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.Wilson

Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas to try.Through the process of elimination, folder at a time, I have found the culprit. A file in the modules folder called aiview.dll apparently was corrupt. Once I got rid of that file, FS2k2 is functioning again.FSFlightMax is the only thing that is now not working correctly, so I suspect that this file is associated with that program. I'm still waiting to hear back on that one.But again, thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. I appreciate the support.Now go support AVSIM by giving them a donation, so that we all will have this resource in the future.Regards to all,Wilson