Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simicro

Weather Viewer? (is there one)

I am looking for some sort of weather viewer, I will explain.I already have Active Sky WXre and it works a gem. Now when I am flying I'm often curious to what weather is around me and what is generally going on. I am looking for a utility that will give me a birds eye view of the weather around me, much like the weather satilite views you get on the evening news, don't know the technical name apart from a multi coloured cloud map lol ;-).I have searched the forums and haven't found any information, does anyone know if there is such a utility?!If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Guest DSandberg

If you are flying with real world weather you could try doing it something like what is done in the real world, by getting (and perhaps printing out) the weather maps during preflight planning. In fact that's how I prefer to do it myself, because then if the weather does change dynamically over the time of your flight, you have to puzzle it out on your own from your preflight information (unless your a/c has weather radar installed), and I like the realism and slight uncertainty of that.I do my weather preflight briefing with the combination of going to various weather sites online to get current satellite and radar images, and then by using InfoMETAR (freeware, available in the Fly! utilities section here at AvSim) to get and analyze a map of current METAR (surface) observations (using NWS style station models).Note that I am the author of InfoMETAR, so my recommendation of that utility is no way unbiased. :)[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to the brave crew members of the space shuttle Columbia.[/td][/tr][/table]

FSFliteMax, http://www.fsflightmax.com/ is a payware weather radar, that works with any plane in FS2002. It is like real weather radar, it can only see precipitation, usually in the form of thunderstorms or at least a bit more than light rain. The module will also show real world sectionals, like FlyII does,again the sectionals are bought on line. It does several other intresting things too. Give it a look, it is a good program, if you are not reluctant to part with a few dollars, for an addon. Of course Davids Infometar is a good choice, to do it like most of us GA guys have to. ( I can't afford $15,000 US for these kind of avionics in real life). :D I have to look up the weather from online METARS, and I just decode them myself.

Guest Stompy

This probably isn't helpful to you because it's not what you asked for, but I'll throw it out there anyway...try tuning in to airports in the area and get their ATIS.