Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jet

FS2002 ATC gave a visual in IMC

Guest Jet

Was in IMC approaching an airport socked in- 3000 o/c 3mi visibility and there was an NDB Approach available but instead got sent in on a visual and needless to say missed the airport.Any way to force the use of an instrument approach??Thanks.

Guest GabrielR

unfortunately, MS ATC is not aware of the weather.If you Filled an IFR plan, ATC is gona give you an instrument approach and Landing if the runway you're landing on is equipped with ILS (not NDB-VOR-GPS). You can request a Visual approach, if you want to.If you filed a VFR Plan, then fly as you like and land if you can!That's how it works.I hope FS9 ATC is will be aware of the weather...

Guest GabrielR

Addendum to the previous post:This is what I do:1. ALways have the charts available2. Check on the AITS and take the desicion for ATC (most of the Time I end up cancelling the IFR Plan and flying the appropiate arrival and STAR.3. Get RC3 and have fun.

Guest Jet

Thanks...this was an NDB which explains why they would not give ti to me.I guess I'll stick with ILS's...so boring.Thanks!

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Greg.Yep, unfortunatelly ATC will only give you IFR apps if there is an ILS. Hope that is fixed in FS2004.But, 3,000 feet oc is hardly socked in. With 1,000 feet oc and 3 mi visibility, the field is still VFR, so technically a VFR approach could be issued in your conditions. The only thing here is that you were in the clouds, and I am assuming you were in an IFR flight plan.In real life, the most likely procedure here would be to start the NDB approach, which would be issued by ATC or requested by you, and whenever you broke out of the clouds, cancel IFR and land visual.

Guest Jet

Fabio-Duly noted and as I wrote the message I was thinking it was still VFR.But the 3 mile visibility, night time conditions, overcast and 180 kts approach speed sure made it feel socked in! Thanks.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Greg.Here you touch an interesting point, at least for me. The VFR minima can be really scary sometimes, depending upon time of day, relative speed, and workload in the cockpit. I've been out flying in the real world, VFR, and at times wondered how safe that really was. That is why a pilot should not accept the regulatory numbers as his minima. Every pilot should know what his/her limits are, and abide to those. If it feels wrong, it probably is.

Guest Jet

Yes, I was on the edge of my personal minimums there.Single pilot IFR, trying to work an NDB (no wind thankfully)and pick up a visual at pretty much the last minute all while ATC was yelling at me cause I dropped down to the MDA which they had not cleared me to.Some real world applications here...some not (ATC not giving me the NDB approach).FYI- I busted the approach as I slid by RWY 8 at La Junta in Colorado...way behind the aircraft and lined up for the hanger instead of the runway!I knew it was going to be hard but I would have been more successful if I could have concentrated on the NDB w/o wandering why/how I could force FS2002 to give me that approach. Then as they were yelling at my for the unauthorized descent really blew my concentration.Greg

Guest Fabio Miguez

Interesting, I always like to read about other people's experience regarding IFR flying.Remember, the safest thing is to go around. Whenever you do not feel comfortable, consider going around. Actually, every approach should be flown with the mindset that you are going around, that is the normal. If, by any chance, you happen to be lucky to spot the runway, then you will change plans and land ;-), but the objective of the app should be to go around. That might sound a little funny, but it makes you a whole lot safer.Another important point is the break of concentration you mentioned at the end, due to ATC talking to you while you were trying to do something else. It is important to try and isolate things, for example, at the time of the approach, when things are seemingly speeding up, try to concentrate on the very basics of flight. You need speed, and situational awareness. All the rest is secondary. Now, if you have a little bit of time left over in your brain's processing, then you can go ahead and try and listen to ATC, check engine instruments, etc.What aircraft were you flying?

Guest GabrielR

Greg, RC3= Radar Contact V3Check out http://www.jdtllc.com/Also the Radar Contact Forum here in AVSIM. So far, is the only way to get what you are asking for, and is the nearest approach to ATC real procedures, it'll give you the instructions on IFR and also clear you for NDB, VOR, landings, (between others). You can also request Higher/Lower altitud, be diverted to the Alternate Airport, get holding vectors, etc...I've used the MS Built in ATC for more than one year, so I was very used to what ATC will tell me, I could almost guess their next instruction, so boring... now I have to pay attention to what controlers say... They even get a little upset if I request a "say again"!! Be aware though, that this is not MS ATC, you will have some choppy ATC voices, and some kind of un compatibility with the AI (they are working on this), but it does not matter to me anyway, with a little Tweak it will work just fine. A little expensive, so taking a desicion between buying it now, or waiting until FS9 for those ATC goodies..... That will be up to you.Hope this info is usefull...EDIT:I could not agree more with the last post, every time I approach, I have in my mind about taking the desicion to land, not taking the desicion to Go around which I consider a fact until the minimus, and if evreything is working just perfect I land.I always set the GA ALtitud and Heading and also check for the procedure when I start the Approach fase of flight.I fly mostly PSS Dash 8, so the relatively low Approach Speed when compared with a heavy is an advantage to me.I also bought the PSS A320-319-321, haven't used it, waiting to master the Dash first....BTW, RC3 will give you vectors to hold in case of GA.

Guest Jet

Commander 115 TC.While on Take-off I do always plan for an engine out scenario as I begin the roll, with my hand always on the throttle expecting to retard prior to Vr if anything goes a wry.I have read after take-off to plan for an engine out landing and look for a place to land but I am never able to really effectively accomplish that since I'm going through after after take-off check-lists and checking in with departure and performing the SID.I should however apply the same take-off preparation to the landing phase though (which I don't). You put it very well when you said plan for an abort. I have to say when I was lined up for the hanger I struggled with the pitch, power, flaps, gear procedure for the missed approach.I had get-down-itis and I would have been better off being ready to power up, retract flaps to T/O and drag the gear until I had positive rate.That's good advice that I will begin applying.Greg